age to neuter?

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nano

Why does it seem too young to have your cat neutered at two months?
It's too young because your kitty hasn't developed enough in the reproductive area. They are definitely completely developed (and thus there will be no harm to them if you get them fixed) at six months, which is why most vets have the policy that they won't do it until then.

Now, if you have a male who's testicles are totally developed (as Hobbes were) at about four months, you can find a place that will make that exception. At that point, it does no physical harm to the kitty to have them neutered. Otherwise, especially with females, it's best to wait. We waited until Sunny went into heat the first time (and waited out her "cycle") to get her fixed. I didn't want to do it too soon, and thankfully Hobbes had already been neutered for two months before Sunny went into heat, so there weren't any problems (seen as how siblings mating tends to bring about kitties that have retardation/developmental problems).

Anyway...there ya go!

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maherwoman

It's too young because your kitty hasn't developed enough in the reproductive area. They are definitely completely developed (and thus there will be no harm to them if you get them fixed) at six months, which is why most vets have the policy that they won't do it until then.

Now, if you have a male who's testicles are totally developed (as Hobbes were) at about four months, you can find a place that will make that exception. At that point, it does no physical harm to the kitty to have them neutered. Otherwise, especially with females, it's best to wait. We waited until Sunny went into heat the first time (and waited out her "cycle") to get her fixed. I didn't want to do it too soon, and thankfully Hobbes had already been neutered for two months before Sunny went into heat, so there weren't any problems (seen as how siblings mating tends to bring about kitties that have retardation/developmental problems).

Anyway...there ya go!
I don't think your information is entirely correct.

My vet told me (and I have read) it didn't have anything to do with size of reproductive organs at two months, but rather that it was less safe to administer the anesthetic to that size of an animal without possible complications as well as the young animals inability to regulate its body temperature on its own also which might result in complications.

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Loveysmummy

I don't think your information is entirely correct.

My vet told me (and I have read) it didn't have anything to do with size of reproductive organs at two months, but rather that it was less safe to administer the anesthetic to that size of an animal without possible complications as well as the young animals inability to regulate its body temperature on its own also which might result in complications.
Ok, to be fair, I will post something I found direct from a site online.

WHAT AGE IS BEST TO SPAY/NEUTER?

The best time to alter your pet is before the animal reaches puberty. Many experts feel that six months of age is an ideal time to spay or neuter. However, there have been numerous studies done that show that healthy kittens spayed or neutered as young as six weeks of age do quite well. The recovery of such young kittens is very quick, and to date, no negative significant concerns have been found. Spaying and neutering kittens and puppies that are healthy at a very young age is becoming a growing trend that has been endorsed by major humane organizations including the Humane Society of the United States, the American Veterinary Medical Association, the American Humane Association, and the Cat Fanciers' Association.

Some people still feel that a kitten should be larger and stronger before undergoing the general anesthesia required to perform the surgery, and to allow more time for the urinary tract system to develop. Consult with your veterinarian and other veterinary health professionals that you trust to help you determine the right age for your kitten or cat. And, speaking of cats, unless your cat has a health problem, spaying/neutering is considered safe at ANY age!! Most of the time, the owners of mature cats -- as well as the cats themselves -- enjoy all the benefits of the spay/neuter surgeries also!!

My source: http://www.hdw-inc.com/spayneuter.htm#attention

Or you could check out: http://www.sniksnak.com/stop_s-n.html
and see paragraph 6 and on.

As far as I can tell, we're both right...and both wrong, as I'm reading that technology has now given us the ability to spay or neuter cats as young as 4 weeks.

Thanks for your comment, as it prompted me to look it up, and find exactly the correct information.

nano

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So out of that, I guess the concern still on the table is "physically too small to handle the anaesthesia". I agree if the cat is having trouble growing (a normal kitten will weigh 2 lbs at two months), the neutering needs to wait until the cat is big/strong enough to handle the anesthesia. But that was covered with the "two months and 2+ lbs" part of my first post.

Anyone have other reasons why two months would be considered too early?

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
According to the two articles I put links to in my above note, apparently you can neuter a cat as young as six weeks. I would call your vet and find out what their policy is concerning it. Some places won't do it, some places will. I've heard of animal shelters that will do it at four weeks. My best advice at this point...call your vet & call around. If you really want to get him neutered now, I would say find a vet that will do it that young. Really, according to those articles (and a few other sites I've visited) your kitty should be just fine.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My regular vet will not do it before 6 months, all the low-cost places I called will do it at 8 weeks/2lbs.
Personally I think the sooner the better, with all the strays I have in my neighbourhood should one of them slip out of the house they surely would become pregnant.
We've never had a cat escape, but better safe than sorry IMO. My 9 week old litter is booked for next week.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've just dropped Aristotle off with the folks at the NeuterScooter ( www.neuterscooter.com) and their minimum age is 6 weeks. Ari turns 4mos today (whatta way to spend your birthday! ) and both of his testicles had descended.

*sigh* I'm a worried meomwy today.

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

I've just dropped Aristotle off with the folks at the NeuterScooter ( www.neuterscooter.com) and their minimum age is 6 weeks. Ari turns 4mos today (whatta way to spend your birthday! ) and both of his testicles had descended.

*sigh* I'm a worried meomwy today.
Awww...don't worry Meowmy!! He'll be just fine...in fact, later on he'll thank ya!

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Follow up: Best age when you're dealing with 2 males?

IIRC I heard the 6 mo rule came about so as to insure sufficient time for the cat to develop sex specific physical characteristics (Ex.large head of a male).

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Regardless of sex the best time is as soon as your vet will neuter, and in my view if they insist on waiting until the kitten is 6 months old I'd be looking for a new vet.