Age Old Question - Toasters!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rosiemac

Sarah i'd throw the towel in and use the oven grill instead
I think I've had my fill of fun with my burnt bread for now!
I'll be using the grill tomorrow though!

Originally Posted by trinettec

Try some "farmhouse toast"

Melt butter in a non stick skillet, put your bread in and flip to cover both sides with melted butter, then just let it brown to your desired doneness. This is best with homemade bread!!

Takes a little longer than a toaster but OH SO worth it!!!
Oooh, that sounds like fried bread!!
Now I want a Full English!

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I give up too. Either side of my toaster will either make the toast just right, or barely anything at all, at the maximum setting. I guess it depends on it's mood.

Forget about getting a toasted bagel unless I want to keep sticking it back in for a few minutes.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We got rid of our old toaster and use a little toaster oven instead! It's sooooooo much better and you can make lots of different things in it. (bagels, toast, pigs in a blanket, certain foods, etc)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC

I give up too. Either side of my toaster will either make the toast just right, or barely anything at all, at the maximum setting. I guess it depends on it's mood.

Forget about getting a toasted bagel unless I want to keep sticking it back in for a few minutes.
It sounds like your toaster is from the same temperamental world as mine!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a T-Fal toaster that works well. That being said. Neil likes his toast more "toasted" than I do so I have to scrap the burnt bits off.
What's really good is making a grilled cheese sandwich on the gas grill or on the grill for our firepit!!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a toaster oven and I hate it, it makes loud clicky sounds and doesn't toast well so I think I need to buy a toaster

Originally Posted by rosiemac

This ovens similar to mine, and on the very top shelf theres what we call elements that heat up and grill sausages, bacon etc...along with toasting bread

http://www.johnlewis.com/Electrical/...9/Product.aspx
Thats the broil here, but you just reminded me of my mum's old oven, it had a grill close to eye height and you could stand there and see it toasting

Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

I am going home and having some toast. Yum!
me too !!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had a wonderful toaster, that worked like a charm for years and years. Then it died and I brought the most recent model of the same toaster, thinking that it was going to be just as wonderful, and it had the added bonus of wide slots. Ok, we got bagels into it, but it was such a crock -- completely unreliable as to degree of toasting, no matter how you changed the settings. Somebody on freecycle has it now, and we have a toaster oven, which takes a little longer to toast to our liking, but does in the end.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well I have a MAJOR tip for all toaster haters..................

pop the sliders down 1st, it warms up the elements ............ put your bread in, toast it to the desired browness..........and up it pops brown and crispy on the outside and soft fluffy bread on the inside
...........if you dont heat up the elements 1st, the heating up process will dry out your bread........YAK !! not what you want.............

so warm up 1st ........
works every time........

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

We got rid of our old toaster and use a little toaster oven instead! It's sooooooo much better and you can make lots of different things in it. (bagels, toast, pigs in a blanket, certain foods, etc)
Same same here. You would be amazed what a single guy can do with a toaster oven, a microwave, an electric skillet and a crock pot