Age of kittens?

chloe16

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Firstly. I have two kittens, both are the same size and are supposedly different ages. Can you please help me decipher rough ages? Here are boths stories.

Eden- I got her from some lady, I suspect she was on drugs or something. She told me she was 16 weeks old (this was June 11th when I brought her home). That she bottle her from 2 weeks old. I picked her because she followed me around non stop weaving in between my legs as I walked. I brought her to the vet that evening. I had 3 vets give me 3 different answers. I got her June 11th. That night I brought her to the vet and this vet said 12 weeks. I had the other vet look at her he said 6 weeks. So whatever, I book her spay for August 7th. She gets spayed and at this point I thought okay shes 5-6 months old but on her spay certificate it says 4 months. According to the owners she would be 7 months old right now. I think shes 5-6. Heres a picture of her when I first got her.

Now, Heres the next kitten

Nyx- We got her when a family couldnt find homes for the kittens. We were told she was 12 weeks the vet said 12-14 weeks (we brought her to the vet that night). Was a different clinic then where we brought Eden to. We got Nyx September 13th. Looking at both of them, they are the same size. Eden weighs 5.4lbs and Nyx weighs 5.1lbs. I weighed them yesterday. Heres a couple pics when we first brought Nyx home

Now here it both kittens side by side and a tooth shot of both.

Nyx has all her baby teeth lost except one back molar (I think)

Eden has lost all except her two top fang teeth. One has an adult coming in and the other does not. Neither are wiggly at all.

I am starting to wonder if Eden was way to young to come home with me? Please, how old do you think they each are now? Nyx previous owners were very kind I dont think they would lie to me to get her a home. Eden was 4lbs when I got her spayed. Nyx isnt spayed

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I am starting to wonder if Eden was way to young to come home with me?
Eden looks younger on his first pic, than Nyx on hers first.  So yes, I agree with you she was prob younger than the 16 weeks you were told.  10 weeks perhaps?   She can also been undernoutrished some, which makes her look younger.   This is quite probable. Most kittens are rounder. 

Although if she does have some recent russian blue parentage along with her looks, RB tends to be slender and sleek.

This about 12 weeks when coming to the permanent home isnt cast in iron; as it depends on.

The idea is, they shall have good time with their mom and siblings back at their original home.

If they dont have any original home, nor visible mom nor siblings, there is no point to keep her with a half drugged owner.  It is MUCH better she comes to a new owner who takes care of them and gives love.

Besides, I see on the pics you do have both an older cat and a friendly dog, who can both team up as uncles.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chloe16

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am unsure of her parents. According to the lady I got her from she was only 2 of 4 to survive. The other one went to a kid a week earlier. She is very slender and has a unique face build. She apparently was nursing off the one mom she had there. I was going to take the other kitten from a different litter but Eden was the one who was less skiddish, in fact she wasnt nervous at all a few of her other kittens bolted when you touched them. It could of been my fault a bit as well as she was on adult food for a month or so and now shes back on kitten food which could explain the sudden growth spurt.

I have 2 dogs, 10 and 6 years the 10 year old doesnt even bat an eye at the cats she could care less the Belgian Shepherd is getting a bit cranky with age but he still plays with them and tolerates them and he LOVES when a new one comes home though that wont be for a while (I said this last time). I have 2 older cats 3 and 1.5 years though the 1.5 year old tends to be a bit of a bully sometimes :p

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually they lose their canine teeth around 4 or 5 months. Which means that no matter how you count it, Eden is a late teether! You've had her for almost 4 months now, and she wasn't only a month old in that first pic. She wasn't 16 weeks old either, but definitely over 6 weeks (my guess being around 8-10 weeks in that pic). Maybe she's a little behind because of being orphaned.

I think I'd figure on the 2 of them being the same age.

Anyway, better plan on having Nyx spayed soon. . .it's a fair expectation that a female will go into heat soon after getting her adult teeth, and a cat in heat is no fun to live with :tongue2:.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chloe16

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nyx is going to get spayed the first week of November :) I just gotta book the appointment. She goes in tomorrow for her final set of vaccines

Last edited: