Age Of Kitten Found On Highway

Hbetke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I saw this kitten run across a busy 4 lane highway and actually make it to the other side, and of course I pulled over and scooped him up. He fought me when I picked him up and was scared so my first thought was he's feral, but as soon as I held him close to me he quieted down and stayed put up against me, and looked up at me like, oh, ok, all is good. I've had him for 2 weeks now, naming him Joey. I could tell he was such a baby, tiny, but able to run obviously, skinny. When I got him home, he gobbled up some wet food. He has had some diarrhea so I took him to get some dewormer at a pet clinic held at a local pet store. He weighs 1 lb 10 oz. She looked at his teeth and said he's probably 5 weeks because his molars are just starting to come through. She wouldn't give him any shots because she said he's too young at only about 5 weeks but did give him a dose of deworming med. This kitten seems older than that by size and ability, using litter box, etc. This means that if he's about 5 weeks now, when I saw him run across the highway, he was only about 3 weeks?? He seemed so agile when I spotted him crossing the highway. So is it always correct to age them by their teeth?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I hate to contradict a vet, but, no, he wouldn't weigh that much at 5 weeks, or be that mobile at 3 weeks. I think it's more likely that he was 5 weeks then and 7 weeks now. Or possibly older, but behind in development. Malnutrition can stunt their development, including their teeth, so that's not always the best way to tell their age.