Age of consent?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's interesting. And I noticed that here in the U.S., some states consider that a girl ought to be "breedable" 2 years younger than boys...how 'bout that for some chauvinistic protecting an adult male's right to "bag a young 'un"....If I were the ladies of those states, I'd be circulating some petitions directed to the state legislature!!

juniper

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I find it ridiculous and wrong that the age of consent differs for men and women, and for heterosexual and homosexual sex in many places. Also, it makes me sick that homosexual sex is illegal in many places, *especially* in a few supposedly progressive, free countries - just terrible.

slitty_kittay

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I thought china was pretty uneven - its ok for a man to have sex with a 14 yr old girl, but gay boys have to wait till 21...

(Yay for Sweden - same age for everyone!!
)

vespacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Me-n-my guys

Not really in defense of child molesters/perverts here, but sometimes it ain't always the man..
Actually, the VAST majority ARE male, and that is a known fact. Here is just one example proving this fact - some stats from the Georgia Center for Children.

97% are male
91% are heterosexual
91% are religious
75% are married or formerly married
73% are Caucasian
65% earn a middle income or above
48% are college educated

• The molester is not a stranger. Over 91% of children are molested by someone they know.

• Stepfathers are 7 times more likely to abuse than biological fathers, however, abuse by a biological parent tends to be more severe. (A child who is abused by a biological parent is at higher risk of sustaining an injury from the abuse than those abused by a non-biological parent.)

• Contrary to popular belief, only about 30-35% of molesters were sexually abused as children (Hanson & Slater, 1988).

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some of those ages just floor me!, 12 or 13 years old is way too young in my opinion!...I was suprized that in Canada it's 14. I would have thought it was 16 or higher.

vespacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsknowme

Oh, Vespacat, aren't those statistics just awful!! I feel so badly for the victims in these cases....
Yes, it is very upsetting. In fact, in a recent IMO thread, someone had the gall to say that child molesters have likely been victims of abuse themselves, which is absolutely NOT true.