Again, Mother Nature?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, holy moley it is definitely here! I came home from work at around 3:00. Our parking lot is at the bottom of a little slope and it took me 3 tries to get out of the lot. Thank goodness I actually know how to drive in this stuff.

It's the heavy, wet snow this time. Last week it was light and fluffy. Well, as light and fluffy as 30" of snow can be.
They are now saying this one, in its two waves, will be as bad or worse than last week. Goodie!
Denver's mayor is already telling people that if they don't have to go out tomorrow, please don't. Let the plows do their jobs, and keep the streets cleared so there aren't so many stranded cars.

The last time we had a 1-2 punch was in March of 1990, with 11" and then a week later 9". This one is obviously worse. We usually get maybe one of these every few years, like Jana said. But these big snows are definitely rare, as in not a regular occurrance. Most of the snow storms we get will only produce a couple of inches and be gone in a couple days. (That's what I meant by this not being normal for here.
)

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say we've had about 14" so far. And now it's blowing. Bleah!!

I have to wait until tomorrow to find out whether I'm expected to go to work. My poor hubby is out shoveling right now...I think I'll go join him!

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stay safe everyone. Don't go out unless you have to. I have a cousin in Pueblo. I received an email from her about the last storm. She said it was vary bad there also. It all makes me glad that I live in Hawaii. I hate snow- eight years in Northern Virginia showed me enough snow to last a loooong time.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jean44

Stay safe everyone. Don't go out unless you have to. I have a cousin in Pueblo. I received an email from her about the last storm. She said it was vary bad there also. It all makes me glad that I live in Hawaii. I hate snow- eight years in Northern Virginia showed me enough snow to last a loooong time.
Ohhhhhhh Jean, isn't it nice there!? I lived on Oahu for 2 years back in the 80's, and although Christmas was strange, I loved your weather!!!

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Well, holy moley it is definitely here! I came home from work at around 3:00. Our parking lot is at the bottom of a little slope and it took me 3 tries to get out of the lot. Thank goodness I actually know how to drive in this stuff.

It's the heavy, wet snow this time. Last week it was light and fluffy. Well, as light and fluffy as 30" of snow can be.
They are now saying this one, in its two waves, will be as bad or worse than last week. Goodie!
Denver's mayor is already telling people that if they don't have to go out tomorrow, please don't. Let the plows do their jobs, and keep the streets cleared so there aren't so many stranded cars.

The last time we had a 1-2 punch was in March of 1990, with 11" and then a week later 9". This one is obviously worse. We usually get maybe one of these every few years, like Jana said. But these big snows are definitely rare, as in not a regular occurrance. Most of the snow storms we get will only produce a couple of inches and be gone in a couple days. (That's what I meant by this not being normal for here.
)
I was watching TV this morning, and I heard the storm is continuing, but conditions have improved since last night. And...I heard the Denver airport is open this morning, which is really good news for travelers!!!

Heidi, you mentioned lots of cars being stranded. Do they declare "snow emergencies" in Colorado?
Here in Minnesota, after we've had a blizzard they forbid parking on designated streets during certain hours so the plows can do a good job of removing the snow.

Stay safe guys, and I hope you are able to enjoy a day at home instead of going to work.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay! Snow day for me! We got 27" yesterday (on top of 34" from last week!) And there's at least one more wave to come through. I hope Heidi and Jana are ok - some people lost power - more up Jana's way, though. I'm gonna work on a project for work though, and it's much nicer to sit around in my pjs than going to work!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow Kim - that's a LOT of snow! We didn't get nearly that much here, though I couldn't tell you exactly how much we did get. I'm staying nice and warm inside.
Gotta love the HOA that takes care of shovelling and plowing the parking lot.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seriously, guys. Send some our way! We usually get buried under a foot or so one to three times a winter, with little intermittent accumulations here and there. This year, we got one wet, messy 6" dump and then nothing. In fact, it's been 40-50 degrees for the past 3 weeks! I LOVE the storms when they come through, but we usually only pass the 18" mark every few years.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Well, the last wave decided to go east and miss the metro area. There is a chance of snow tonight but the sun is out and the sky is that gorgeous blue we get here.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Beautiful pic, Jana! I will say this - it is absolutely gorgeous here when there is snow on the ground and the blue sky comes out again.

We went out tonight and we were amazed at the huge piles of snow in the parking lots. y544444,5t4 (Mojo didn't see them, but apparently wanted to comment LOL) Those piles will be around for months, most likely. I've never seen piles quite that big!