Aftermath of neutering.

hotspot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my 5 months old kitten, Spot, has been neutered just today. I know he's disoriented right now and needs rest, but I'm having trouble keeping his collar cone around his neck as the vet advised us to do. He needs to keep it on for 2 weeks so that he won't lick the neutered area so it won't become infected, but he keeps trying to scratch the cone off, and he succeeded in doing so 2 times. I keep making it tighter but at this point, it looks like it'll choke him if I make it any tighter. He hasn't been able to take if off after I tighetned it last, but he keeps attempting to do so. Do kittens get used to it or will he keep this up until it comes off again? I'm just worried he'll try to take it off for the next 2 weeks. 

Also, how long does it usually take for kittens to get back into shape fully after neutering? I'm worried about him using the litter box because I was advised to use shredded newspaper for 5 days instead of litter but he is a wreck right now. I'm not even sure if he'll use it. I'm just worried in general. 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never used a cone for a spay or neuter. Especially a neuter. I think that's too stressful for the cat. I also don't use different littter. I think that's for de-claws, there's no reason to change litters if their paws aren't affected.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also have never used cones during recovery from spays or neutering surgeries. Does he try to lick the wound when the cone isn't on?

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
My boys got neutered in August. I think we put pseudo-collars on them made from paper plates. Oscar ran around the house non-stop until he hit something that ripped it off. Made for a good laugh! But anyway, we didn't have regular collars on them. Yeah, they licked, and I kept making them stop. I think I had the same question that I asked on here back then, and someone had said yeah, they'll lick, because it doesn't feel good! I checked them for several days just to make sure it wasn't getting sore, or stitches weren't coming loose. Other than that, it was fine. It was more their mommy being worried than anything else!

For Oscar and Oliver, I'd say within 24 hours they were back to their usual selves. Oscar got really clingy the next day, so I stayed home and he spent a good part of the day on my lap. That was pretty unusual for him as he's not a lap cat. He also seemed rather agitated, which they said could just be from the anesthetic. By the evening though, he was just fine.

We didn't use any special litter at all either.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hotspot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just to let everyone know, Spot is not de-clawed, I won't de-claw him. I'm not sure why the vet said to use shredded newspapers instead of litter. 

About the collar cone/e-collar, now I'm not so sure what to do. He obviously doesn't like it, but the vet said if I don't use it, he can get the area infected. Spot DOES try to lick it very often, so I think he should keep it on, especially when I'm asleep because I won't be able to check if he licks or not. 

brian77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just had my kitty spayed about three weeks ago and they did not give her a cone or anything all they said was to make sure she wasn't biting at her incision. I was very worried at first and tried to keep her from running around but realized it was a losing battle and she was fine. I read about the newspaper litter to and thought about it but the vet didn't suggest it so I didn't do it. It's a lot of precaution but better safe than sorry.

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise

Just to let everyone know, Spot is not de-clawed, I won't de-claw him. I'm not sure why the vet said to use shredded newspapers instead of litter. 

About the collar cone/e-collar, now I'm not so sure what to do. He obviously doesn't like it, but the vet said if I don't use it, he can get the area infected. Spot DOES try to lick it very often, so I think he should keep it on, especially when I'm asleep because I won't be able to check if he licks or not. 
For what it's worth, my boys licked, and I didn't stay up all night to keep them from doing it. Two weeks is a super-long time considering it will be long-healed by then. And my boys turned out fine. I probably won't be using one with Penelopy when she gets spayed next week either.

Regarding the litter, they may have mentioned that in case the dust caused irritation. That's more of a thing that can happen but probably won't. Just like hurting themselves by licking.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hotspot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think I'll leave the collar cone on at least for few days, probably not for 2 weeks straight. Maybe I can keep it on when it's time to sleep but leave it off when I'm awake since I can catch him if he tries to lick. I'm going to change the litter back though, because he's showing not a single sign of wanting to use the litter box filled with some shredded newspapers. I'll just have to keep my eyes on him when he goes to the litter box to see if he needs help. 

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
Check his incisions every day for a few days also. He really will be fine :)

And definitely don't need to do it for a full two weeks. I once had a cat with surgery on his ear (that really had to wear a cone to keep him from scratching) and even then it wasn't a full two weeks. This vet seems to take the super-cautious route. I got my boys done at a spay/neuter clinic, so it was a bit different I guess.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it's really no big deal if a male licks, as long as he's not licking enough to cause a sore. You do have to watch females to make sure they don't pull their stitches---if they open up, that's bad news! But boys aren't going to have their guts fall out ;). Your vet is being very cautious, and I'm sure that's the "right" way to do things, but generally males don't have any trouble at all. Male ferals get released as soon as they're out of the anesthetic, no problem.