Aftermath of Katrina: How has it changed your readiness?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Katrina has really caused me to think about how prepared we are for a disaster. We live in an area prone to severe flooding and thus far moderate earthquakes. I've got everything prepared to evacuate the cats in a hurry, but almost nothing in the way of canned food for humans, reliable flashlights, a big stock of batteries, blankets, etc., in one place. I was at my mom's (Nebraska) when Katrina struck, and my reaction, not thought out at all, was to go out and buy some Maglites, huge packs of batteries, and scads of canned goods. I didn't realize what I was doing until she asked whether I was worried about tornadoes, and pointed out that there was no reason for me to buy a four-month supply of dog and cat food (which I did last Tuesday afternoon), because she always has enough for about three weeks on hand.
I tend to stockpile things, and to gas up the car as soon as we're down to half a tank, but wonder how long it would take me to organize the necessities for an evacuation, especially since I almost never buy canned goods, preferring fresh or frozen food, which wouldn't be much good without electricity or running water.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Very good info Hissy..

The battery back ups are good for a night or two without electric... I will have to figure out a back pack tank... the four legs are covered

me-n-my guys

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Space is kind of limited here, so I can't keep alot of back-up supplies...I already have alot of camping stuff, like a propane stove, lanterns, etc..I just bought propane yesterday, just in case. We have charcoal briquets in storage & plenty of water jugs standing by. I told Mike yesterday that we need to buy a cooler.
Katrina has made me(a Central Floridian who rode out two in one month last year)a little more paranoid about what could happen to us. We were very lucky compared to alot of other people we knew & worked with. We might not be so lucky next time.
If we hear that a cat 4 or 5 is headed this way, I'm out of here.