Aftercare for spay

chrisszy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my kitten was spayed and is 6 months old she has done very well but it's day 8 and her belly is a lol pink around the stitches and was wondering what or if anything I can put on her belly to help it?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my kitten was spayed and is 6 months old she has done very well but it's day 8 and her belly is a lol pink around the stitches and was wondering what or if anything I can put on her belly to help it?
No, you don't want to put anything on her belly.  You could send a photo to your vet if you think she has an infection, though.  Is it getting more red as time goes on?

leen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Help me please, my cat got spayed 2 days ago and she is very aggressive i tried everything ,the cone ,a t-shirt everything but she wont leave the bandage she wants to pull it off what can i do to prevent her from reaching the stitches

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never coned or covered any of my cat's wounds after surgery or spayings. After a little licking they pretty much leave it alone. I've had MANY cats spayed and neutered and not one has ever pulled the stitches out. I've had a couple pull the wound partially apart, but they came through fine with close monitoring that it didn't get worse. Just like people, wounds do gap sometimes and still heal fine. If she is panicking, I would take everything off and let her be, she is most likely doing more harm to herself then she will without. Call your vet first and tell them what you are doing, but I would tell them she is worse with the coverings, and you will watch her closely. Some cats don't like any kind of bindings and she must be one. Two days is enough time to for the healing to begin. Don't be alarmed if you see a lump, that is normal.Look for a colored discharge and extreme redness for infection. Clear, bloody discharge is also normal, in small amounts. Good luck!

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is she doing now? You can post a photo if you'd like.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Help me please, my cat got spayed 2 days ago and she is very aggressive i tried everything ,the cone ,a t-shirt everything but she wont leave the bandage she wants to pull it off what can i do to prevent her from reaching the stitches
I agree. It sounds like any covering or cone is makinh her far more stressed. Did the vet send you home with any pain killers?

leen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree. It sounds like any covering or cone is makinh her far more stressed. Did the vet send you home with any pain killers?
No he didnt give me any pain killers he told me that i need to keep her off the stitches try to do anything so she wont be able to reach the stitches but nothing is working , am keeping her all the time in front of me and whenever she tries to pull the bandage i stop her but now its night and i need to sleep but am afraid she will pull the bandage off while am sleeping , i cant find a solution to prevent her from taking it off

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No he didnt give me any pain killers he told me that i need to keep her off the stitches try to do anything so she wont be able to reach the stitches but nothing is working , am keeping her all the time in front of me and whenever she tries to pull the bandage i stop her but now its night and i need to sleep but am afraid she will pull the bandage off while am sleeping , i cant find a solution to prevent her from taking it off
You can probably take off the bandaid.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
My recommendation is to go to a thrift store and get a baby onsie.

Last time my cat had surgery was roughly in the same area as a spay.  She didn't chew the stitches, but she did constantly clean the wound with her mouth and it ended up infected.

leen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I spayed my cat 7 days ago and today i removed the bandage, but my cat keeps licking the wound is it okaay or should i do something to prevent her from licking the wound?

leen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I went to my vet and he said that this is normal and gave me a spray to put on the wound so it will heal for good, but am still littl worried is this okay? Btw this is after 7 days