After spaying HATES Vet

karkel59

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So is there anything I can give her or the Vet can prescribe to CALM her before she has a Vet visit, last time they had to sedate her just to take blood, not only was it costly, I don't want to put 64 thru that again. HELP

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can try something like putting Bach's Rescue Remedy in her food. It contains some homeopathic ingredients--and alcohol. And spray spray spray something like Feliway in the cat carrier about 1/2 hour before she is scheduled to go into it. If you don't already, immediately cover the cat carrier with a blanket or towel, preferably with your scent on it.
The problem with many prescription type anti-anxiety drugs for cats is, they have the opposite or minimal/no effects. I'm not talking about drugs in the class of Prozac, one-time type of drugs. I gave Ritz one about three years ago when I was much less experienced with getting her into a cat carrier and much more stressed about putting her into one: no effect.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I second the Feliway spray and the Rescue Remedy, but get the alcohol-free formula for pets: Rescue Remedy Pet, Alcohol-Free

Poor 64. Our last cat was like that. He turned into a maniac at the vet's office after he was castrated (memory like an elephant, I suppose). He was much better when I held him rather than a vet tech, and when he was allowed to sit on my head or shoulder while being examined. I wouldn't recommend the latter, though, because too much can go wrong if your cat panics.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Agree with others that Feliway spray and familiar smell blanket in the carrier help.  If your cat starts to panic before you even get them in to the carrier try to do some work familiarizing with the carrier and breaking up the association between carrier and vet visits as well.

It might be worth going through the routine of getting her in the carrier and taking her to the vet surgery using the Feliway and other calming strategies but not seeing the vet, just to the building, and then the reception to see if that helps to reduce the associations too.  If she gets really stressed still I wouldn't push it and have a chat with the vet about alternatives.