After sedation and enema care

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortykatyk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After calling this morning and being told he still won’t eat and nothings gotten better I’m going to bring him home with me that way he will be surrounded by the people and things he loved.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
did they expect him to have turned around already? (guessing so) Did they do a blood transfusion? I'm so sorry this has happened to you and your precious little guy.

shortykatyk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They said he wouldn’t eat for them and the antibiotics and fluids haven’t helped. They are giving us medication and sub q fluids and tbh I think they are thinking he won’t get any better even staying with them at the hospital. We just can’t get him to eat.

Last edited:

shortykatyk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I went to pickup my kitty and the vet told us they ran more test and he’s not anemic today he’s baffled them because he’s acting anemic but the blood test they took today says he’s not they simply don’t know what’s wrong other than having a bad infection and that causing him to not want to eat. I’m going to pickup some nitra cal to try and increase his calories.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are doing what you decided to do, which is to try to help him and keep him with you at home. I would have done the same thing and I hope that you begin to see some better results.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is the vet going to change out the antibiotic? Bad infection...where? I am sure there is another antibiotic they can add to the existing injection they gave him before. If this is a kidney infection, it can take months to clear starting with at least a couple of months of antibiotics - and, not just any antibiotic may suffice. Did they ever perform a urine culture? That can help identify the most appropriate antibiotics for a kidney infection. Sub-Q fluids are given in many cases as well.

shortykatyk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes it’s a kidney infection they gave him a second antibiotic and more medicine to bring home with me. There main wonder is why is he trying to eat litter but not anemic. He was anemic last night but not today after his fluids and IV which to me sounds like malnutrition from lack of eating much. I’m going to order sub q fluids and head to petco for anything high calorie that he might eat that’s why I thought about nutri cal.

shortykatyk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok I have all his information now he has Pyelonephritis they gave him a baytril injection IV fluids.

shortykatyk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Grabbed a ton of different high calorie canned food, nutri cal another syringe and greenies pill pockets. He’s about 12 pounds so I’m aiming for at least 200 calories is that about right? He’s getting the appetite stimulant when I get home.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Grabbed a ton of different high calorie canned food, nutri cal another syringe and greenies pill pockets. He’s about 12 pounds so I’m aiming for at least 200 calories is that about right? He’s getting the appetite stimulant when I get home.
Every cat is different, so 200 is as good of a place to start as any. I will tell you that Feeby (17+yo) needs at least 300 calories to maintain her 11.5 pounds. She is also on Mirataz (1/2 dose every 3 days) to keep her in that ballpark. She probably could use to get Mirataz every other day, as I have noticed by the 3rd day her calories sink from over 300 to about 250. I do supplement her food with Gerber Stage 2 - she gets about 1 jar a day (so, 80-90 extra calories). Of course, I think her hyperthyroidism is a factor.

It is all an experiment until you see a pattern.

shortykatyk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok thank you I’m going to try to get a full can in him since I’m sure he needs it. I picked up Merrick, Tiki Cat, Instinct, Natural Balance, Blue Wilderness and one of the blue tastefuls just trying to find some variety. Maybe the nutri call will also help.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you can get 200 calories into him, that would be great, at least to start. Then gradually increase a little bit. I'm guessing he's not very active right now, so 240 should be something to work up to. They say between 20-25 cals per pound depending on activity.

Did they say what his RBC was today? That is weird, but a good weird! Now that he's no longer anemic, do they think his chances are better?

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

shortykatyk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They said it was weird because he acted like an anemic cat would act wanting to eat litter but that he wasn’t anemic.
I’ve gotten him his nutri cal in him and we are working on feeding him his calories now starting with half a can and later tonight the other half. I’m not sure tbh but I know he needs the food and that’s all I can focus on right now. I’m worried about his liver do y’all know how to read blood work? I have his info and wanted to check it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’m worried about his liver do y’all know how to read blood work? I have his info and wanted to check it.
There really isn't anything in a CBC that would denote much about liver function - that would be part of the Chemistry Panel.

As you know, other nutritional deficiencies can cause cats to be attracted to eating litter - so, that is more likely the cause. Those would be more likely to be picked up in a Chemistry Panel as well.

shortykatyk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They did a ProCyte dx hematology analyzer and a catalyst dx chemistry analysis.

shortykatyk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok turns out he was “slightly” anemic when he came home omg I’m so tired of vets not telling the whole issue. They said I could bring him back for a transfusion if we wanted but since he’s “old” do we want to spend the money 😠 they knew he was anemic last night and kept him but no blood transfusion? What the hell?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They did a ProCyte dx hematology analyzer and a catalyst dx chemistry analysis.
I have no idea what those are, but I think they may be a bit more expedient analysis of the CBC and Chem panels, from what I can tell. It would seem that they might be processed 'in house' vs. sending the blood off to a lab for analysis. Feel free to post them here, but hopefully, the 'ranges' are listed because that is the only way to know what scale/gauge is being used. Many labs use different parameters, so it is like comparing apples and oranges if the ranges are not included.

EDIT: It is highly unlikely that a vet would do a blood transfusion for a slightly anemic condition.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not knowing the parameters of the test your vet used, all I can offer is the basic ranges.
Rbc (x106/µl)​
5-10​
Hemoglobin (g/dl)8.0-15.0
Hematocrit (PCV) (%)24-45

shortykatyk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It shows his reference is 6.54-12.20 so I guess he’s thinking 4.15 is slight but still it worries me and could be from his lack of eating. He hasn’t really had a good meal in a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.