After Effects of Enema?

Dos Gatos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 16yo cat Echo has had chronic constipation for years, mostly managed by daily Miralax. She has had multiple episodes where she has needed to go get enemas and/or manual extraction. She has always recovered very quickly from them. However, she had 2 enemas at the vet today, got out a ton of poop (probably more than she ever has), and hasn’t been right since she got him late afternoon. She has seemed very uncomfortable, very weak, and is having periods of yowling loudly. She has also leaked some poop. I’m wondering if it could be after effects of the enemas and it will pass or if we should take her to the emergency vet tonight. Her breathing seems normal, she just seems like she is in pain.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have heard of cats who have had reactions similar to that from enemas. Bottom line, you know your cat best. Watch her VERY carefully. If she is not better by tomorrow, I'd at least call the vet. Should her breathing become affected, of if the symptoms become any worse, I would seriously consider taking her to the ER vet tonight.

Please let us know how she is doing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dos Gatos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Echo ended up at the emergency vet on Tuesday night. She had low bp, low temp, very lethargic. ER vet was more or less recommending putting her down. We chose to have them stabilize her so she could be seen by the veterinary internist there in the morning. That vet was definitely more positive and is working to figure out what is going on with her.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel for you... kind of sounds like Megacolon... A horrible diagnosis...

One thing I learned from Artie, with all his enemas: After having an enema, I insisted/demanded, that he be rehydrated with Sub-Q fluids (lactated ringers)... even if it is only 50 cc...

The one time he was not, I was back in the emergency room.. like you... He was dehydrated; electrolytes very low.. once he was hydrated, he was much improved..

With Megacolon, it can be diagnosed with an X-ray... treatment is tons of medicine, specialized food...

Wishing you luck and love...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dos Gatos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel for you... kind of sounds like Megacolon... A horrible diagnosis...

One thing I learned from Artie, with all his enemas: After having an enema, I insisted/demanded, that he be rehydrated with Sub-Q fluids (lactated ringers)... even if it is only 50 cc...

The one time he was not, I was back in the emergency room.. like you... He was dehydrated; electrolytes very low.. once he was hydrated, he was much improved..

With Megacolon, it can be diagnosed with an X-ray... treatment is tons of medicine, specialized food...

Wishing you luck and love...
Echo does have megacolon but it has been managed up until now with Miralax, which I think I probably need to up the dose now to twice a day. Vet would like to start her on cisapride but she is notoriously difficult to give oral meds to. She is doing much better and will hopefully be able to come home tomorrow. Her kidneys are enlarged and her potassium was low so she was treated with fluids and antibiotics which helped a lot. I think she had something internal going on for a few days and then the stress of the enema just pushed her over the edge and she went in to shock.