after care

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How am i supposed to keep buddy and tabby seperated for 7-10days after surgery but still let them be around eachother cause they are getting fixed wensday. I dont wanna keep them locked away from eachother what can i do?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Why do they have to be separated for 7 to 10 days?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is what a lady told me that i talked to from the vet that they are getting fixed at

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I already got another litterbox for them so they can be set up in the room that me and my bf sleep in

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
I've never heard of such a thing... Do they have health or other issues apart from just needing to be spayed/neutered?
I'm guessing Buddy's a boy and Tabby's a girl?

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No not that is known of and yes buddy is a boy and tabby is a girl. Rivht now buddy is inbetween me and my bfslegs at the end of the bed and idk where Tabby is( somewhere in the house

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Buddy is way less active at night than he was so he actually sleeps unless he sees me wake from a deap sleep in the middle of the night then he sleep on me so i dont understand that vet either. Im going to have to ask them wensday when i take them in

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I find it weird that they are being fixed on 9/11. The 12 year anaversary of the twin towers fall from terrorists. Watched 9/11 ground zero and cried at remembering how weird my teacher was acting and how she wouldnt say anything

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Neutered male cats should be separated from females for up to two days after surgery to prevent any possible litters. After two days - it won't happen. The testosterone levels can take a few weeks to dissipate. It also depends on the age of the two getting the surgeries. I have never separated kittens after their surgeries nor have I adults. Usually the females will not want the male anywhere near them after their surgery anyway. Both will be out of it for a day or so as well. I wouldn't worry about separating them if they are kittens but would follow the vets recommendations anyway. ;)

Last edited:

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well buddy is 5 months old and tabby is an adult

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Perhaps they feel that as such a young chap, Buddy may not give Tabby the chance to recuperate.

Best to follow the advice.  They will probably be a bit funny with each other after a trip to the vet anyway, as they've picked up funny scents.  Make sure you do some 'scent swapping' with them when they return (like groom each one with the same brush).

Tabby is the one who will need to be kept quiet for a while, so I'd put her in the 'safe' room, but you can always let her out and put the boy in there for a while whenshe's starting to recover.

You may need to go through a very small re-introduction at the end of their separation, but you can play that one by ear.

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just set up their secoundlitterbox andboth havealready done their buisness in it. Tabby didnt cover her poop up so buddy went in behind her and covered it up. Buddy is in there now playing it sounds like

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He is the only one of the two that covers up the litter. Theyare used to having a litterbox around where they sleep anyways so it is only natural for them to have it in our bedroom. They have had accidents since being here cause they know that they used to sleep in the same room as where they done buisness. But i will update on their surgery . Im so nervouse

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Buddy and Tabby got threw it just fine and now are resting ( tabby not buddy he still has energy)

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, it's a much simpler procedure for the boy...

Glad all went well.... we all fret a little, even though it's such a common operation.

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh i only got 2 hours of sleep before taking them to the place then came home and crashed until 1

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad to hear all is well! The "worrying" just comes with loving these kitties, and the sleepless nights! :lol3: :vibes::vibes:

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yea and then yesterday the electric company turned off out power and my mom threatened a lawsuit and got it back on. (Yes they was in the wrong not us)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't separate newly spayed/neutered cats unless I notice a lot of wild wrestling going on (and that's only for females; the boys can do whatever they want). So just use your best judgement. If he annoys her, let her have some peace in a separate room, but otherwise I think they'll be fine. Of course you've probably already figured everything out by now :D.

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I figured out that buddy annoys tabby and probably needs to only be ariund her at night when they are tired and sleeping with us