After 2+ yrs got our feral trapped & to vet TODAY!:)

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Long story but.. got trap finally after 2 yrs yest. Wasn't going towait to try til Mon. But he didn't come out of his Kitty Tube when I lowered food to it as it was too cold in am yet. So, walked thru a fence & knew he was in Tube yet. Snuck near Tube but 10ft away & laid trap w/ food in back. Went to call vet to see if ok to bring himasap if gotten - tho never thought I'd get him. Then while on phone looked over our 2nd floor balcony to patio below & BAM-- there he was in it!! Not a sound or thrashing - nothing! I called vet & said GOT HIM! She said, 'asap transport'.

I did & by 8;30 he was in vets in trap & blanket still on it from when he 1st went in to eat & was caught! unreal day & easy as pie. He never made a sound or battled yet in it. Now vet has him & will neuter in few hrs as he will stay overnite for bldwork, checkup, neuter, etc. I pray he's healthy & ok. May have URI as eyes leaky but we will update as I know.

TY all for your support on here to; 'be a man not a mouse' -- & finally JUST DO IT!:):):)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
TY all &... I am still in shock as I NEVER figured it was going to be! I was content on just feeding him daily. They say a 4 yr old feral can't be loved or socialized. Probably true but I will do all I can to defy logic & odds re this. :)

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok, update & TY all so far: He has Fiv:( ... from bites --thus COULD infect our indoorgirl 12 yo old cat-- if we made him inside pet. He has...many Scars under fur from fights. Is about 4-5 yrs old---as vet agreed w/ me. But...sad part...Has genetic marker for development for kidney fail down the rd. :(

A test beginning w/ a letter S & 4 total letters--anyone know its name??

Unsure the of the one test name-- but vets closed til Sat morn -- n will call n pickup feral tom morn by noon. So vet tech rated his (ferals) overall health a B ... w/ a B+ ...if they finish the neuter & find/clip teste in abs... which will be due to opening abdomen-- more like doing a female spay she said. This due to cutting open abdomen to find teste. More later..:)

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don’t panic about the FIV. There are many myths about it due to not understanding it early on. Cats with this can live long and happy lives. Biting another cat would be the way it would likely spread so if the cats are properly introduced they can live together. The cat with FIV is more at risk of getting sick. I have an FIV cat myself and , although he was a tough old feral tom cat, he adores the other kitties here. He seems to be relieved to be safe, warm and fed. He has turned into the sweetest and most loving lap cat ever. When I first tried to get him I never imagined he would be so grateful to be in a secure place. At first he was scared and it took time to help him understand that nothing inside was a threat and to socialize him but once he understood, he became protective and affectionate to me and all the other kitties here.BJ was the last of the colony to come inside. He had eluded me for a long time. I’m so glad he’s in now. He is also fighting heartworms but he has done well. It’s a wonderful thing to see him enjoying life. The overall health of that kitty is a B? That’s pretty good. If he is to survive for a good life, he will need to be an inside kitty somewhere. He will be exposed to things that will take him out if he goes back outside. If you can’t keep him, please find him an inside home somewhere.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please please don't panic about FIV. I have 6 cats and 2 have FIV. Five of my cats are former ferals that I socialized and brought inside. All of the cats mingle. FIV is only transmitted through deep bites. Most cats don't fight that way once neutered. I even had an incidence where one of my FIV+ boys got into it with one of the negative FIV boys. The positive boy bit the other cat. The bite was bad enough that a vet visit was needed. I was worried this cat would get FIV. I have had him tested twice and he is negative.

My cats all share food bowl, water bowls and some snuggle and play.

Don't give up on this boy. He needs a loving home and time to get those hormones out of his body.

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Feeby, THAT IS IT! ;)

Wow, I can't even begin to wrap my head around both his FIV & now this kidney test result worry. Wow, I feel deflated for him. I won't ever give up on him but it just saddens me to see him have so many potential ills. I really worried taking him that they'd find problems. I hope these can be quelled in my head, so I can concentrate on moving forward not freezing up w/ worry.

TY everyone for all the kudos for him. I got him home this morn & he ate normal out back, as I lowered his bowl in his 'Easter basket', haha. He then walked into sun & fell over & licked himself. he has a shaved leg where bld was taken. His creatinine is 1.9. His BUN was 33, both in normal. No sign of kidney dis. so far, said tech. Haven't spoke to vet yet but will call her Mon.

What else... Oh I did not let him see me either going in or coming home as had white sheet over trap both ways. He didn't know if it was me or who? I hope so, as he looks up at 'daddy' thus I think he's ok yet w/ me. :) We'll see as days resume if normal. Ok, more as I know.

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
His name; w/ his big green eyes & all black fur, except a tiny white dot under his chest--barely able to see unless you know it is there... simply put Blackie! :);)

Called vet tech & she said begin 500mg 2x/day of Lysine powder. Anyone use this?

Alos, his eyes had a URI or what they said they injected Covenia long acting. He will go back in 1 mos. for another Covenia & of course, to finish his neuter as 1 testicle is unfindable in his abs-- thus he is NOT neutered & still has hormones :(

I can't imagine that'd happen to me/him, as it is rare, & combined w/ FIV & genetic marker of kidney dis. I felt overwhelmed for HIM not I. I'm fine taking care of him, but my worry is for HIM!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is he still going to be an outside cat? I guess that does concern me a bit as it's harder with FIV+ kitties to live outside. Since he is neutered, the desire to fight will diminish. Yet with a depressed immune system, living outside is very hard for cats.

I have used lysine. There are kitty chews, powders, paste and granulars that all can be put into wet food. My cats like the chews. I did find that I prefer VetriScience DMG. It's a tasteless liquid that I place into wet food 1x a day. You can find it on Amazon or Chewy.

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He'll unfortunately be outside til we move in few months. But he has a warm Kitty Tube & a Snuggles Safe Mircowave warming heat pad & we live yet in s. AZ. Also, he goes back vet in 1 month to get fully neutered due to unfindable testicle up in body that requires open ab surgery like a female spay. Also for his boosters for yesterday's vaccines. Also bld wk & another Covenia injection (he just had 1st Covenia yest. for eye infection/leakage).

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also use Lysine for my FeLv kitty. He takes it well and is now 12 years old. When we get a test that indicates any possible problems in the future, of course we worry. I do understand and have been in the same position but with good care most of these things take a back seat to lots of great and happy years. When my Mackie was tested positive for Felv it was during a time when that was thought to be a reason to euthanize. Since then we have learned so much more about the illness and I am so glad I questioned the vet I was using at the time. I took him to a second vet who suggested I keep him unless he showed that he was suffering and no longer a happy cat. I did need to isolate him from my other cats but he has had a great life. I call him my laughing cat because he always seems so totally happy. I don’t know how many years we will have together but each one is a gift. Just keep an eye on Blackie and continue to love and care for him. Bring him inside when you can and keep asking questions, learning and enjoying your life with him. I would suggest you always ask your vet lots of questions about any medication given so you understand it fully. Especially since Blackie is still living outside and may not always be accessible to you. Being well informed is the best advice I could give to you.

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much. I'm wondering how we're going to isolate him from our indoor girl. I'll try to work on this in the next few wks or so. This was not supposed to go this way & depressed me for him & that is my worry. I am so novice w/ feral cats & I came to love them later in my life now over 50. But he is a rescue for sure , like our indoor who was a rescue as she kept coming on this same balcony when a fence used to be there yrs ago.

But I think she was abandoned as had ab scar vet said indicating spay by an owner, said vet, as she meows -- unlike Blackie who never makes a sound. It (fence) is no longer there, thus Blackie can't ever come up as she did yrs ago (feels like a century ago but time flies). So, w/ Blackie, I'm trying to give him raw food. I am worried that kidneys can fail down the rd & so feed him best I can w/ low ash/phosphorus, etc. Again I'm not expert re foods.

He has an eye infection said tech ( I will call the vet herself Monday) & so I can't wipe them or apply ointment daily. Best she did was the injection, I guess Covenia is the antibiotic. I'm just so nerved up all of this that I can't think straight. Ha, I already see a doc for anxiety/depression from a harsh family background & this really makes it hard when any new worry that-- means a very alot -- to me occurs.

Anyway, his Creatinine is 1.9. His BUN is 33. He has scars under his fur from fights said tech. He may then have a URI as the eyes leak clear mucous (hence Covenia??). I know I need keep him away from our cat & since the teste can't be found w/out surgery like a female spay, this delays his neuter til next mos. I need review what shots he got. Vet agrees w/ me that he is about 4-5 yrs old. Been feeding him over 2.5 yrs or so. He was so good in trap, quiet not thrashing, etc. just a great feral boy I think (as heard stories of chaos w/ trapped ferals but not him:)) & went in w/ no probs on Fri. morn to eat yet little did he know he was going to be caught.

But the finding at 5pm, prior to their closing at 6pm Fri., was bad news as the teste needed open surgery & thus he is still raging hormones. :( We need get it done asap. It'll be unknown if I'll trap him so easy as this time he may be wary of me. he ate yest. normal but not much as usual. He came tho for a lunch about noon when I got him home & released to back yard below us & then about 5pm for small dinner. Again not alot of food did he eat, unlike usual. maybe feels bad from vets yet.

Ok, more as I think of it & review the things they did more to him on Fri.
TY All for support as I am no veteran of this & really just a rookie. :)

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Monday update; he's not eating much/well. Also is afraid of Kitty Tube now I think, as fears its a trap:( Will hear from vet when she calls today. His vitals were good but having to redo a surgery, similar now then to a female spay, is costly & worrisome in terms of stress to him. In 30days he needs boosters & then, they'll do his ab area testicle removal.

I feel bad for him as he looks at me but is wary. I hope he gets comfy again & even tho in s. AZ, its cold nites & he need go back into Tube. I got him Lysine VetriScience chews so will begin when they come. I try to hyrdate him but his raw/wet food seems good. But he ate alot better prior to Fri. am when I caught him 8am :(

Recall he is; Feline Immune Deficient = Postive :( & his SDMA Possible longterm Kidney Marker Disease test = Positive, so this & our indoor 12 yo girl cat in our apt, cause me to rethink when we move, hope in few months, how to get him inside as a pet. A feral can be had but it is going to be alot more work.

Yes, the RIGHT thing to do (trapped him) but.. you know how I feel now I bet w/ him so wary of his 'daddy' :( now...

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hopefully, Blackie will shake off being wary with a few more days passing since his last 'vet venture'! I suppose you could consider creating a makeshift 'second home' for him to use until he can get more comfortable with the idea of using his Kitty Tube again? I would also ask the vet if there should be some time that lapses between the follow-up antibiotic shot, the boosters, and the second surgery? That's a lot to put the guy through in terms of medications/etc. I realize multiple trips will be stressful if these things are done at different times, but it just worries me a bit for so many medications/surgery to be done at the same time.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also you really want to be able to trap him or get him into a carrier once again. This will get harder and harder each time. If you catch him again for the next round of appointments, he really should be kept inside. Otherwise you might just wait until you move.

Another thought is to get a larger cat carrier and start feeding him meals inside. You can start by feeding right outside the carrier and then gradually move the bowl further and further inside until he is comfortably eating in the back of the carrier.

Last year I moved and brought 3 feral cats with me that I had been caring for on my deck for many years. I had done TNR on them years ago. I tried retrapping them with the trap and there was absolutely no way that was going to work. I bought 3 large medium sized dog carriers and started feeding them in the carriers. This took about 6 weeks of time. On the day I needed to catch them and bring them inside, it all went fairly smoothly.

Here are the carriers I used:

I used the 26" with this one
I also used this one
IRIS Deluxe Pet Travel Carrier, Red, Medium - Chewy.com

Years ago I used this soft sided carrier as well in the 25"