After 10 years

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been through that, too. My ex was kind of borderline mentally and emotionally abusive. He wasn't always awful, but he never showed real love or appreciation. In fact, I had decided to stick with him despite our difficulties...and then he dumped me! I think what happened was that one of my ways of dealing with his picking on me was to deflate it and not jump to the bait. For example when he said I was too fat, I told him not to tell me that anymore, that I would just assume he thought I was too fat, unless he told me different. Somehow, I think I just wasn't fun for him anymore if he couldn't pick on me!

I did love him when he left me, though, and shed quite a few tears over him. But as time passed, I realized that I missed the idea of being married more than I missed him. I missed the dream of a happy marriage, but I knew I hadn't had a happy marriage for years. We were together for 7 years, and I was about 26 when we separated.

I lived with my parents, with my two kids! And went back to school. I decided I didn't want to be poor forever, so I became a nurse and now I have a great job.

Your situation is harder, because if you were childhood sweethearts, a big part of your growing up process is being left behind, too. It is hard to know who you are when you have been a part of a couple for so long. And emotional abusers take a part of you away....but it will come back.

My current husband really doesn't tolerate me being self critical...maybe some of that is left from my years of being put down by the ex. It is just so extremely different to be in a relationship with someone who acts like you are on the same team. Someone who makes you feel loved and cherished. As if he is the luckiest man on earth to have you.

Take your time to grieve, then heal. In the long run, your life will be so much sweeter without Tim. Cry for who you wish he was, and the parts of him you love and miss. Then dry your tears and move on. It takes quite a long time,but you will get there. I promise.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beckiboo

I've been through that, too. My ex was kind of borderline mentally and emotionally abusive. He wasn't always awful, but he never showed real love or appreciation. In fact, I had decided to stick with him despite our difficulties...and then he dumped me! I think what happened was that one of my ways of dealing with his picking on me was to deflate it and not jump to the bait. For example when he said I was too fat, I told him not to tell me that anymore, that I would just assume he thought I was too fat, unless he told me different. Somehow, I think I just wasn't fun for him anymore if he couldn't pick on me!

I did love him when he left me, though, and shed quite a few tears over him. But as time passed, I realized that I missed the idea of being married more than I missed him. I missed the dream of a happy marriage, but I knew I hadn't had a happy marriage for years. We were together for 7 years, and I was about 26 when we separated.

I lived with my parents, with my two kids! And went back to school. I decided I didn't want to be poor forever, so I became a nurse and now I have a great job.

Your situation is harder, because if you were childhood sweethearts, a big part of your growing up process is being left behind, too. It is hard to know who you are when you have been a part of a couple for so long. And emotional abusers take a part of you away....but it will come back.

My current husband really doesn't tolerate me being self critical...maybe some of that is left from my years of being put down by the ex. It is just so extremely different to be in a relationship with someone who acts like you are on the same team. Someone who makes you feel loved and cherished. As if he is the luckiest man on earth to have you.

Take your time to grieve, then heal. In the long run, your life will be so much sweeter without Tim. Cry for who you wish he was, and the parts of him you love and miss. Then dry your tears and move on. It takes quite a long time,but you will get there. I promise.
I just wanted to say this was a wonderful, sensitive, honest post that shows what can be so special when a group of folks, connected via the internet, care about each other.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emb_78

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emb_78

Well, I just got done calling all the places we owe money to and added Tim's name so it isn't all in just my name!!! Thanks for the advice!
I also just removed his credit card from my debt management program, and got him off of my car insurance which oddly enough I will be saving $200 ever 6 months now!

Tonight My parents and I are going to Tim's parents house to discuss the $26000 debt we have, and what the future holds. Tim won't be there because he has to play a softball game tonight.
:censor::censor::censor:!!!
I have some words for Tim right now!!!
That's about all I have right now. I am going through phases right now. I hate Tim. I miss Tim.
I'll let you all know what happens tonight!
Tim didn't show...
Tims dad was real mad about the situation
, tims mom was making axcusses for tim
I took 3 of my babies to the cat shelter about a hour ago. It was real hard. I am so upset about it, but I just can't have 7 cats at my mom house right now. My dad also took the computer from my house today. Tim is probably real mad!!! I actually feel bad for taking the computer and has favorite cat to my mom's. I probably shouldn't feel bad about it. But I do still love the man!

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emb_78

Tim didn't show...
Tims dad was real mad about the situation
, tims mom was making axcusses for tim
I took 3 of my babies to the cat shelter about a hour ago. It was real hard. I am so upset about it, but I just can't have 7 cats at my mom house right now. My dad also took the computer from my house today. Tim is probably real mad!!! I actually feel bad for taking the computer and has favorite cat to my mom's. I probably shouldn't feel bad about it. But I do still love the man!
Loving him is understandable. I loved my ex even though I left him because he abused me. I still feel bad sometimes about it,( not to often anymore just once in a great while) I'm sorry you had to take your cats to the shelter, but you did what you had to at the time so you deserve nothing but the highest respect.
Taking the computer was good too, you need to be here amongst friends who will listen and care about you. Your ex sounds like a real piece of work. Stay strong, We are still here on your side, rooting for you all the way!