Affordable canned food?

furmom101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sheba might be good for you to check out. It's cheaper than FF and I just posted asking about it earlier and users here say it's good.

At walmart it's right under $12 for a 24 pack of 3 ounce cans! They have pates, gravy desires and premium cuts.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

My cats are having a hard time getting the giblets and shred canned food up

off the dish into their mouths and dropping it..trying to eat it

so I bought Fancy Feast today ..seems it is easier to eat

You said you were feeding them Friskies SPECIAL DIET Turkey and Giblets Dinner, which IS a Pate, not shredded, according to their website.  So...if you are feeding them a different form of Friskies, then you are feeding them something that is higher in carbs and lower in calories in all probability 

someone tell me what pate is other than horrible to look at and my cats did not like

the 9 lives pate last year when I bought a can for a treat.......

If a cat dislikes pate in one brand such as 9 lives will they dislike the consistency

of pate in all canned food brands?

Pate just means it does not have chunks or shreds.  It is a smooth consistency.  Just because they did not like 9 lives does NOT mean they wouldn't like another brand, or even a difference flavor of 9 Lives
. Mine love Fancy Feast (pate only) chicken, but hate Fancy Feast (pate) ocean fish.  Go figure

The dry food I have is simply nourishing made by Pet smart and it is the turkey

with brown rice and has about 374 calories  per cup. No corn in it ..

I thought maybe give Peebo a fourth of a cup for lunch time when I am home

or mid day and then half up the 5.5 ounces  from his own can the other two meals

7 am and 5 pm feeding..

That sounds like a good plan!  As long as that CAN is the Friskies SPECIAL DIET (low carb food discussed earlier
)

I have a husband who will free feed so this is difficult for me...and having to

try to  keep 3 cats apart and   also someone who does not care ..who will buy

the better dry ...above our budget  but who likes easy feeding for the cats..

Hubby CANNOT free feed or your hard work will be for nothing

I looked at the big cans of friskies as some members suggested today but they

were none at walmart that said chicken or turkey..they were all seafood or pate

types..so I did not buy those..

Well...the Special Diet IS pate, but I don't know if it comes in the 13 oz can...

I think it wil get easier....someday LOL

Peebo is an eater , I think he is not hungry ..he actually is heavier this week to me..

when I pick him up..

When dieting, it really is critical for you to weigh him...it won't be totally accurate, but you can just weigh yourself, then pick him up and weigh yourself holding him and subject the difference.  this will give you a general idea of what is going on with him.  Sometimes with my own porky one I thought he was losing, and it turned out he was gaining
(oops
)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

sherit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ms GreenJeans

The food was Special Diet friskies in the 5.5 ounce can

and it says Chicken in gravy..with bits.

that they have trouble with it falling out of their mouths..

I got some Fancy Feast today which looks more like pate

in the turkey and chicken varieties

I looked through all brands of catfood today at walmart.

They had a new one in that said it had more meat and less by products

canned but it was 1.10 for the 3.3 ounce can

No way we can buy 10.00 worth of canned food per day for the 3 tomcats....

It would be close to that amount..being that they are all different weights..

I was surprised that the cans of some brands said  3 cans a day for one cat

and that was the 5.5 ounce cans..Are they kidding? Who can buy 3

cans of food a day when they have multiple cats to feed?

There is not much selection with  the special diet Friskies..

so I guess we will have to do Fancy Feast and Friskies..special diet..

Is the Meow mix bowls..that are orange in color and foil tops, is that really bad

for the cats, it seems to have fish and shrimp in them and looks like

real meat to us..That was what we used to feed them a few times per week

for a treat...

thanks for the tip on weighing myself holding peebo.Great Idea!

I will do that tommorow morning!

SheriT for Peebo

sherit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thank you for your suggestions...so grateful to all cat lovers on this site..

and that you take your time to reply...

Sheri T

sherit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I saw Sheba today...the cans were so small that I did not know if I could be less stressed trying to figure out how

much to feed Peebo at 22 lbs  that I want to lose over the next year...and then the other 16lb tomcat

and then the 10 lb tomcat I have..

I saw a new food I liked that had 75 percent meat new at walmart and believe it or not they had a grain free canned food

and good protein but that ran over a dollar for a very small can..3.3 ounces?

no way we could do that brand..but wished I could..

Seperating these 3 to feed them canned and standing there to make sure the big one does not take the others food from them

twice to three times a day...

is stressful to me.. maybe you all are laughing ..go ahead and have a laugh on me, we all need a good laugh

but I have no children..

I do have some patience but this is trying my

patience ! LOL

Sheri T

sherit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Due to expense I have to feed the 3 tomcats 
Friskies and also Fancy Feast canned food and

Simply nourishing turkey and brown rice dry food ...it has

no corn and is their weight management dry food

feeding them

just a couple tablespoons of the dry ... to each cat at lunch time..

this is Leo the youngest with meow mix canned.and the dry food

was a no corn one..in that bowl.....bought at petsmart..but I have simply nourishing dry food now

to give in their bowls at lunch and then remove the bowls not leave them down .

Leo always makes me laugh...

Sheri T

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I know how it is trying to keep a little piggie out of the others' bowls while they finish.  I've got three cats myself (also no human kids
)  The piggie inhales his food while the other two take their time.  And the slow pokes will let the piggie have their rather than fight for what is theirs
.  So I have to run interference...three times a day.  It's exhausting, but I do it "cause it's so worth it to keep the piggy from being a butterball and to keep all of them from eating kibble.

Now, if they like the Sheba (again, the Pates are the lowest in carbs), they have about 114 calories per can, so you can figure out how much to feed based on that.  AND, next time you need to replace their  Simply Nourish kibble, if I didn't already mention it, I would NOT get the weight loss one.  I would stick with the regular as it is actually better for them

As to the Meow Mix Market Select (orange cups), every one is different, so you just have to read the ingredients.  I DID check them out and noticed that even the poultry ones all include tuna, which is odd.   But some of them have wheat gluten, some don't.  And in my book, that is a no-no.  Also, someone told me a couple of  years ago that they include a lot of sugar, disguised under another name.  But at the time I had a 15 year old cat who liked them, so I let him have them, since he was old and sick and I needed him to eat anything just to eat.

sherit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
we bought a canned food to try yesterday that cost 1.10 a 5.5 ounce can

at walmart by the brand  name of Natural Life.

It  looked like pate when I served it this morning

The  boys had eaten at 5 pm yesterday, same time

I had my night time dinner..

so they were hungry this morning at 7 am.

They tried this new food and just left it....

I had to throw it away and open the Friskies

canned turkey in gravy, which they almost finished

their 1/3 can each.....

That is all they wanted to eat and I am finding they

want to eat every two hours..snacking as they wanted off

dry food diets..

anyway they did not like that new canned food Natural Life  yesterday.

I weighed Peebo as you suggested last night

and I was stunned..he weighs 23 and half  pounds

and this morning he was looking for something green to eat in the yard

and was starting to munch on daylilys which  he has never done

I have grown show   variety daylillies for years and never seen one of my cats eat

them , I have seen the deer eat  them..at times..

I brought him in and started back giving him his miralax

in his canned food ..

and will give it to him 2 times a week

I had been giving him miralax 3 times a week 1/4 teaspoon

for constipation for the past year..It worked well and was safe

to use ..I had asked  2 vets..could I use that and also read online

about it for dogs or cats..

Any thoughts?

Sheri T

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My first thoughts are that daylilies are poisonous to cats!  Then I googled it and apparently they are not actually part of the lily family.  OMG...that is really confusing.  Anyway, since it's still a little confusing, I would watch Peebo for any vomiting, just to make sure.  I am also attaching this link to the site I found where you can read what I did and make up your own conclusion:  http://allthingsplants.com/thread/view/15995/Cats-and-Daylilies---survey-results/

As to that food none of them like, I cannot tell you how many cans of food I have purchased, some of them as much as $2.88 for a 3 oz can (yes, I'm crazy
) TRYING to find anything my kidney cat will LOVE.  She's only 5 lbs, so doesn't eat much.  One 3 oz can per day is plenty for her, with the other freeze dried raw food she gets, if only she would eat.  ANYWAY,  the better the food is, the less apt they are to like it, THAT is what I have decided. 

Using Miralax is fine, but what makes you think he is constipated?  Because he was looking for something green to eat?  Or did you see him straining in the litterbox?  Usually cats eat grass to settle their stomachs,  not to help them poop.

Did you read the article on how transition cats to scheduled feeding?  If not, you need to do that.  They may WANT to eat every 2 hours, but that's is not what you should allow, if you're going to transition them to 2 or 3 scheduled meals a day where you can measure out a specific amount of food for them.  Does the 16 lb cat need to lose weight too (sorry, can't locate his name immediately in here.)  I can see by his picture that the youngest one doesn't appear to!  BTW, you call them TomCats.  Have they not been neutered?  Since you let them outside, they really should be neutered.  Hopefully you are just calling them that because they are males, but they are actually "fixed"

So now you have a starting weight on Peebo.  That's good.  You can still aim for the same amount of daily calories though, since it's the end result you're interested in.  And if he doesn't lose any weight, or loses too fast, then you need to adjust the amount of food he's getting.   Try to weigh him at the same time each week (either before or after you have fed him...whenever you did it last night)

molldee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Investing in a baby scale is the best thing to do when you're trying to get a cat to lose weight. It's a lot more accurate than holding him on an adult scale.