Affection Bites To Other Cats

telnaga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Patch is around 12 years old, and she's never really had any friends. She's a real sweetheart! But she has scars from when she was a stray, would frequently get into fights with her mom, and when we took her in she'd get chased around by our other cats. She hasn't got a mean bone in her body and never initiated anything.

I recently moved with her out of that household and into a different one, with three new cats she absolutely adores. They're friends! They rub up against each other and groom her and love her.

But she keeps doing something weird, almost every time she interacts with any of them. It's definitely some sort of display of affection, to the point where usually the other cats will sit there and let Patch do it to them. She'll creep up on any of the other cats, and just chomp down on the scruff of their neck, vampire-style. It should be noted this definitely can't hurt too much, because Patch only has one tooth. But it does seem to vaguely irritate the other cats sometimes, and really I'm just wondering why in the world she does this, instead of normal stuff like rubbing against her friends. This isn't the weirdest thing she does, she's always been very odd and that's what I love about her, but I want to make sure I'm not mistaken and this somehow is an outlet for aggression.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I don't think it is true aggression, my big boy does this all the time to his brother and mother. I yell and he lets go because he knows I am upset and will come if he doesn't stop. He does this in the middle of the night too, and I have to push him off the bed. They cry so pitifully, it hurts to watch. He sneaks up on them sleeping, jumps on them, and holds them down by the scruff of the neck and bunny kicks them. Several times a day! Depending on how hard they struggle, hair can fly. He knows to let go when I yell, but I wish he would just stop completely. I really think since they are inside cats now, it is maybe a release of energy or pent up frustration. He is dominant, I wonder if he just isn't a bully. Maybe your girl is trying to assert herself. The scruff grabbing is usually a sign of dominance.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, this is AWESOME! Play biting is normal, but it is totally unusual and wonderful that a 12 year old cat that never had friends is now comfortable enough with 3 new friends to actually do this! They are basically giving her the childhood she never had. The smart bet would have been stress and problems, not friendship and trust.

Yes, sometimes it may annoy her new friends...she never learned limits, but her new friends will teach her there is a time and place over time.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The smart bet would have been stress and problems, not friendship and trust.
Yup, that was my thought. Glad to know it's a form of friendship and trust. :heartshape:

Welcome to TCS, BTW, telnaga telnaga . :wave2: That's great that your senior girl has become friends with her new feline family. :catrub:

Do post pics of her, if you can. You can also introduce her, and yourself, in our New Cats on the Block forum. :compsurfing:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my experience, the pounce and scruff bite was more of a dominance thing with play. And it's completely OK. There will always be a hierarchy with cats, and if they are letting her do this and she eventually lets go (as long a no one is getting hurt), or they end up running away (but not hiding) and she lets them run away, just let it happen. Even with cats that get along and play, groom and snuggle together, there is usually one in there that is still the boss. And to that point, the "boss" can even change day to day or week to week, so it's not always the same cat who will be dominant.
I think that the fact that she is asserting herself without being aggressive or fearful with her new friends is good thing, it shows she has confidence within the group.
Again, my opinion is based on what I have seen and experienced mixed with good old Google, I'm not a behaviorist by any means.