affection before dying or what?

batrice

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Stray cat outside for 11,12 years. was fed by my mom. He stayed on and under her deck. But always looked in the window but when trying to reach him he'd scoot away. I'd try to feed him but was not easy.(my mom always did) So when I saw him I'd try to talk etc to him.He had many an abscess and was treated back in March by a shelter and they fixed him. He seemed much happier and I'm sure felt better but his wounds were deep. Within the past month he suddenly got very thin. When I came to my moms I fed him and tried to pet him and he let me which I thought odd. I know they mellow after TNR. When I went around deck he'd run under it and not come out. Then a couple weeks ago he let me pet him more and he even rolled over. Though very thin he had lost 2 lbs which I know now. Then when I went to visit him under deck he just sat there alone and looked at me and didn't run or move. He looked so sad. Then when I saw him crouched on the deck railing with his tongue slightly sticking out I freaked. I already new I had to do something but it would be very difficult getting him. But I did. At that point I was going to take him home after the vet.the weird thing is when in carrier he seemed like he was gone didn't cry or anything and at the vet he didn't move. Could his affectionate behavior have been a way to say he was sick help me?? Blood work did indicate he was very ill. But we had a good indoor week together and I didn't want him to die alone I was with him till the very end at my house not my moms. I just need to find out more on cats behavior and why he was so friendly all of a sudden. when at my home it took him only a day and before you know it he was purring and falling all over me as I sat on the bathroom floor. It was the most amazing thing I have ever had happen. Just wish we had had more time together.  Has anyone out there had this kind of experience.

camachinist

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a similar experience with the semi-feral cat my ex-wife left when we got divorced. A couple weeks before she died, she lost the fear and aversion she had for me which had existed for over a decade and would come into the house and sit on the sofa and let me pet her and groom her. She was a mess and I was amazed she had lived as long as she did outside, considering all the predators, cars and farm equipment around our area. Maybe she knew it was her time and was saying goodbye in a way. I don't know.

pugsanonymous

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I believe his sudden affectionate behavior was because he knew he was sick, knew he could trust you and was physically close to you now. He probably always had affection for you, but being a feral didn't allow for him to show you. He lived his life in survival mode outdoors and only when taken in was he able to show you. That might not be 100% correct, but that's what I believe. When feeling sad just remind yourself he spent his last week in a safe, loving, caring environment. He knew what you were doing for him and he was able to leave this world knowing you loved him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

batrice

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just wish I gave him more time with me and that I didn't have to put him down. He was just beginning to like it inside with me even though he was sick. To bring a cat to a vet when the cat knows whats going on to be put down I think is cruel. I wish there was a magic pill we could give a cat at home when ready. To wait till he started vomiting or feeling worse  I don't think was away to go either.( that happened with one of my indoor cats)  The vet gave him a week but I went by my own gut . He was wasting away his eyes looked heavy and sad and he did sit in the bathtub. Another week or two (if that) would have pleased me I guess but not him. He was all bones but kept purring, ate  a little, used kitty litter box(without training after being outside for 11 years) but drank tons of water and had been for sometime. he also had another issue. I guess I'm trying to rationalize the whole thing. I should be glad I took him in when I did rather than leave him outside to die and who knows what animals would have got him. I need time to heal I guess as I thought I was bringing him in for a long stay never dreamt his bloodwork was as bad as it was.