Affecting cat pH

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
While Dasani might not help one bit with their urine PH level, I doubt it will cause any harm either. To that end, I guess you have it all covered and don't need help from any of us! Good luck!

Last edited:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Did some simple testing of three waters to check for the presence of salt in each. The amount of salt in water will affect electrical resistance and can be used as a crude method to compare one water to another. The more salt the lower the electrical resistance.

Simple to understand and simple to test with a standard volt ohm meter (VOM).

View attachment 469324

The two leads are attached to a 9 volt battery clip used to keep the "electrodes" exactly the same distance apart for the tests. The meter is allowed to return to 0 ohms before each test. The electrodes are dried with a heat gun between each test. The electrodes are suspended in the water for 1 minute each. Enough time for the meter reading to stabilize.

The three waters are: My Tap Water, Spring Water from a local aquifer, Disani Bottled Water. The tap water is not filtered or altered. It is the way it comes from the ground. The same goes for the spring water. Just as it comes from the aquifer in town.

View attachment 469325

The results speak for themselves. The tap water, as I stated prior, has more salt than one would like. In fact, if I had a heart issue I was advised not to drink it. I do not give it to my pets, In the past, they drank the Spring Water, which has less sodium as the test results show. However, it is also high in pH.

View attachment 469326

The Disani water has the least amount of sodium of the three. Almost half that of my tap water and not that far from the spring water I have been using.

Therefore, I do not feel allowing my three boys to drink it will cause them any more harm than the spring water. If someone here can provide actual proof to the contrary, please do so.

Whether or not the lower pH water has any affect on their pH, I can only go by what my tests show. I see positive results and the only difference is the water they are drinking.
You don't have a softener or aio system for water quality do you? They add a small amount of manisiium in the form of salt to the water.

Here water is so hard you basicly have to soften it or it eats holes in your water heater and stains all your appliances and dishware. Its mostly lime but a bit of iron in there too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chesterspal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
More progress in getting Caleb's urine pH where it needs to be.

I've switched to using pH test drops rather than the strips. The drops are much more accurate and it's far easier to read the results.

IMG_6392.jpg

IMG_6391.jpg

I'm using these small sample bottles so each has the same exact amount of water. Then I add 4 to 5 drops to get the color nice and dark. Set the bottles on a window sill so the (sun) light is full spectrum for proper viewing

IMG_6389.jpg

From right to left:

My well water from the tap. No filtration or altering. Very acidic at around a pH of 4. I do not give this to the boys.

Caleb's urine from this morning. Right at a pH of 6, the perfect pH for a cat.

The spring water from a local aquifer in town. It has a pH of 7.

My friends well water after his sophisticated filtration and alteration system is applied. His tap water has a pH of 8.

Settled on giving them water with a 50/50 mix of Dasani bottled and the spring water. Very pleased with the results so far.