Adware/Spyware/Pop-ups

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, all you Windows people. I have a couple of computers at school that have been who-knows-where on the web, because they are SOOOOOO infected with popups and adware. I have downloaded and run Spybot. What other free downloads can I use to help clean up these machines? Yikes! This doesn't happen on my Mac......

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a combination of Spybot, Norton Antivirus and Trend Micro's online scanner.
Adaware is also an excellent tool.

talon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, Spybot and Adaware are a one two punch. There is also a free firewall that works well - it won't get rid of spyware but it will calm it down a tad: Zonealarm.

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whatever you do, don't use MicroSoft AntiSpyware! We got a BAD virus from it!
Or a hack that made it look like MicroSoft anyway...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks gang. We have stuff popping up on elementary school computers that should not be. And that's with a heavy duty blocker in place. I'll try AdAware tomorrow.

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Deb25

Thanks gang. We have stuff popping up on elementary school computers that should not be. And that's with a heavy duty blocker in place. I'll try AdAware tomorrow.
Oh boy... you may have a lot of scanning to do with those comps. It's likely you have some trojans on there as well, so Ad-aware, Spybot and Microsoft Anti-Spyware are probably not enough. I just went through the longest tech help over the past few weeks with Danielle and her husband's laptop, renewing my knowledge yet again. Here's jsut a few of the things you will need to try.

½. You can try a system restore if you have that option available.

¾. Go into Internet Explorer. Click tools, then options, then advanced. Look for the lines "install on demand" and "install on demand (other)" make sure they are unchecked.

1. If they are XP comps, check to see if they have service pack 2. If they don't, don't download and install it yet.

1½. If they have service pack 2, check to see if the Windows Firewall is on in the control panel.

2. Download Microsoft AntiSpyware, update the definitions, set it for a deep scan in the options and run it. http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx
3. Download Ad-aware. Install, update, click start, click customize and make all red X's into green checkmarks. Scan.
4. Download CWShredder and run it. http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract..._download.html
5. Download ewido, install and run it. It's only a 30 day trial, but it's one of the very top trojan removers right now and you will only have to use it for less than that if those computers are made more secure after. http://www.ewido.net/en/

There's way more I can suggest, such as Hijack This and other specific tools, but Hijack needs more user knowledge before you remove anything. Let's just start with this stuff. If you're still having problems, you might have to go for step 6...

6. Fly in a Hydroaxe, fill it up with fuel and let it rip. (pizza and root beer will also suffice.)

Oh yeah, you should absosmurfly have SpywareBlaster http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html It's not a scanner, just a protector. Install it, open it and click on each of the three links to activate the protection. That's all.
Also download SpywareGuard http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sgdownload.html

Please, seriously consider downloading and switching exlusively to Mozilla Firefox for browsing. When you install it has an option to import all cookies and bookmarks from IE. I have nothing against Microsoft. It's only hijacked more because it is more popular software. It's as simple as that. Just use IE for necessary web sites that will not work in Firefox (rare) and when you manually use windows update.

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always been pleased with Norton Anti-Virus and used AdAware when I had a PC. I find I don't have pop-up issues now that I'm running OSX

Reason number 8 million why Macs are better! Thhhppbbt!!!

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ryan's right about the Spyware Blaster... that sure is nice, and the Adaware is wonderful! BUT, if you download Microsoft Antispyware, be careful! Like I said, we downloaded one nasty virus from that program, or some stupid twisted hack that made it look like a Microsoft homepage. Actually.... it was 6 viruses!

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow Ryan, thanks!
This is why I hardly ever use my computer at home- I literally get 1-2 popups a MINUTE! It's so annoying!
I'm going to follow your tips when I get home!

lovemycodygirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Try AdAware, which you can get at www.lavasoftusa.net . That's what we use, and what Earl used for a client when he knew good and well where he had been!
Always did the trick to clean up that machine.
I second this one...AdAware is the one I used both at home and here at work to get rid of the ICKY spyware.

cyberkitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You can also use browsers that do not allow popups like Firefox. Tho popups created with JavaScript or as a .swf file (flash) may still work with that browser. In that case, you disable those utilities - tho it is nowhere near as annoying as the myriad popups on IE - which is THE worst browser in IT. I recall in 1996 thinking "so what if MS includes it with their OS, no-one will use it, they will dl Netscape." I was proven wrong as more and more ppl who were not used to dling came online and bought personal PC's. Thus, Netscape went from a hugwe market share to well below IE. Hard to believe but that's what happened, sigh!! Now Opera and Firefox are the better browsers and many continue to use IE which I admiottedly do not understand - it is buggy (there are constant fixes), allows popups and is terribely insecure!!!

I also use a WONDERFUL program called Mailwasher www.mailwasher.net It's a small utility programmed in C (I think he used C) by a young NZealander that essentially lets you name Friends and blacklist emails or entire domains from which you will not accept email. So, these emails NEVER get dled to your hard drive which is great!!!

xdx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use Adaware which is excellent. Also Microsoft Antispy, which you can only get as a beta version through microsoft. So maybe thats why others have had problems with it. We've had no problems with it its on all 3 of our computers.

We also use Firefox browser which as well as limiting popups and Adware also has a Cat Skin tou can use

sooz123

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a triple-threat protection that works perfectly well and keeps me 99% clean at all times. Once you get those systems clean, I highly recommend this:

The first two have already been mentioned, Spybot & Adaware. Spybot comes with "Teatimer", which if enabled while installing Spybot always runs in the background. This ABSOLUTE GEM detects changes to your registry or browser settings (you know how they LOVE to hijack your browser and change your home page -or- they install something nasty on your PC- without you knowing), and will only let the changes implement if you click OK to allow it. I've not had my browser hijacked successfully since. Unless I'm installing something myself, I just always click to disallow the change (I don't even read what it's trying to do!). Works like a charm.

The third tool is the Google toolbar. It has an excellent popup blocker (so does the newest version of Internet Explorer, I think). Plus it's handy if you're a Google search addict like I am, you can search right from the top toolbar of your browser. If there's a popup that you want to see (such as you get when trying to download something sometimes and you have to see the popup to get the download link), just click the little button on the toolbar and it enables popups for only the page you're on.

Between Google blocking all the pop ups and Spybot blocking webpages from doing anything nasty that I can't see, I stay clean. I only actually have to run Spybot and Adaware to remove something very rarely.

sooz123

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
By the way, especially with Teatimer, once you get this stuff running all the time you'll be appalled at how much it blocks. You won't believe everything you'll see was happening that you didn't know about before!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. I downloaded AdAware on the 2 machines today and ran it. I am still having a lot of trouble with the one machine, so I'll be copying and pasting your post to an email, Ryan. The pain-in-the-butt thing is: somewhere along the way, somebody (or a couple of them) did whatever they wanted to on these computers because they did not own them. The clean up is a MESS!

I second the vote for Mac. Now I KNOW I'll never go with anything else.

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried all of those steps that Ryan recommended yesterday and I STILL have a bad problem on my home comp.

I get popups EVERY MINUTE!!! They are grey boxes that say "Message Service" at the top. Anyone have any idea how to stop those??
I'm ready to

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Deb25

Thanks everyone. I downloaded AdAware on the 2 machines today and ran it. I am still having a lot of trouble with the one machine, so I'll be copying and pasting your post to an email, Ryan. The pain-in-the-butt thing is: somewhere along the way, somebody (or a couple of them) did whatever they wanted to on these computers because they did not own them. The clean up is a MESS!

I second the vote for Mac. Now I KNOW I'll never go with anything else.
Originally Posted by ugaimes

I tried all of those steps that Ryan recommended yesterday and I STILL have a bad problem on my home comp.

I get popups EVERY MINUTE!!! They are grey boxes that say "Message Service" at the top. Anyone have any idea how to stop those??
I'm ready to
*SIGH....................... I really really wish I could just pop by and clean your computers up. I've never lost a computer yet, though I work much more efficiently in person. It sounds like you are both in deep, but it is fixable. Are either of you getting about/blank: pop ups? There's a specific tool to get rid of that one that I didn't even mention yet.