Advice with my kitty .... newbie here; waiting for babies

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tinkz89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do they appear to be latched and suckling?

I think you should try supplementing them. Use a needleless syringe, tummy down, head up. Wrap in a towel like a burrito. Drop by drop in the side of the mouth. Allow time to swallow and breathe between drops. Try to get 1-2 mLs into each kitten every 2 hours for now. Once they get the hang of it they will start to suckle the syringe themselves.

Here is a helpful video:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

Hopefully they just need boosting and will get strong enough soon to get more from mom.
Thankyou I have just fed them 1ml each to start with I have a syringe with the thin teats on and they all managed to suck from it :) some took a little longer than the others but they all managed it! I get so scared as people say you can flood there lungs etc but I let them suck the milk down :)

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Awesome! Continue every 2 hours and keep us posted. They should begin to gain weight fairly quickly with regular feedings. :)

Tinkz89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awesome! Continue every 2 hours and keep us posted. They should begin to gain weight fairly quickly with regular feedings. :)
Thankyou, do I just allow them to suck the milk from the syringe at there own pace? They seem to be sucking quite well xx

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, you must apply very gentle pressure to the syringe at the pace they are suckling. If they want more, give another mL. Please take ten minutes and watch the video. It is very helpful!

Tinkz89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, you must apply very gentle pressure to the syringe at the pace they are suckling. If they want more, give another mL. Please take ten minutes and watch the video. It is very helpful!
Thankyou watched it and also ordered a miracle nipple too :) thankyou again

Tinkz89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Weighed them again this morning...

Weights today .....

Pink - 80g he is +5 from last night

Tiny - 54g he is +5 from last night

Black - 62g he is -2 from last night :(

Brown - 71g he is +1 from last night

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How many hours since you last fed them?

Pink & Tiny are good!

Keep working with Black and Brown. They should improve.

Continue feeding every 2 hours as much as they will take. Remember, go slow and never force feed. Keep track of how much eat kitten eats at each feeding, and weigh every 12 hours. Make a chart, and keep us posted!

Tinkz89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How many hours since you last fed them?

Pink & Tiny are good!

Keep working with Black and Brown. They should improve.

Continue feeding every 2 hours as much as they will take. Remember, go slow and never force feed. Keep track of how much eat kitten eats at each feeding, and weigh every 12 hours. Make a chart, and keep us posted!
I'm feeding every 2 hours at the moment and will keep on going, in letting them have as much or as little as they want at a time. Xx

Tinkz89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have some success ....

Pink has put on 6g since 10am
Tiny has put on 2g since 10am
Black has put on 5g since 10am
Brown has put on 8g since 10am

Black one hasn't put anything on since birth and all hes done has lost!!! First ever weight gain!!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We have some success ....

Pink has put on 6g since 10am
Tiny has put on 2g since 10am
Black has put on 5g since 10am
Brown has put on 8g since 10am

Black one hasn't put anything on since birth and all hes done has lost!!! First ever weight gain!!!
Hip-hip-hooray!!! :hyper:

You really need to feed through the night for now. Can you?

Also, do you see them nursing mom at all?

Tinkz89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just a little update... again!!
We are all still gaining weight they are now 4 days old it's been a long hard few days!! Here's there weight chart so you can have a look

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I know it has not been easy, but you are doing a great job! They still have a ways to go, but thank goodness no one is losing. I’ll feel better when they are all over 100 grams, especially Titch. :vibes:Hang in there!

Tinkz89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know it has not been easy, but you are doing a great job! They still have a ways to go, but thank goodness no one is losing. I’ll feel better when they are all over 100 grams, especially Titch. :vibes:Hang in there!
Thankyou!! I'm absolutely exhausted right now, but will keep going would still do every 2 hours day and night?

Tinkz89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What I find a little odd not sure if anyone has advice... but even without supplement the pink cat will gain weight from mamma, yet the others dont ... even though they all do latch?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it really still needs to be every 2 hours including overnight until they get over 100 grams at least. Pink kitten suckles hard and has forced milk to come in. The others may be sucking but not strongly enough to get more than a little milk. As soon as they get a touch bigger and stronger they will have milk flowing from mom into their mouths also. They are just too tiny right now.

If you really need to sleep, take a 4-hour nap during the day. Feed them before you lie down, and again as soon as you get up. You should only do this once a day though.

If you can get them over 100 grams you can begin feeding every 3 hours. Under 90 grams is preemie and even 90 is tiny. Ideally, and had they been born bigger, they should weigh 115 grams at the end of week 1.

:vibes: Hang in there! They need you!

Tinkz89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, it really still needs to be every 2 hours including overnight until they get over 100 grams at least. Pink kitten suckles hard and has forced milk to come in. The others may be sucking but not strongly enough to get more than a little milk. As soon as they get a touch bigger and stronger they will have milk flowing from mom into their mouths also. They are just too tiny right now.

If you really need to sleep, take a 4-hour nap during the day. Feed them before you lie down, and again as soon as you get up. You should only do this once a day though.

If you can get them over 100 grams you can begin feeding every 3 hours. Under 90 grams is preemie and even 90 is tiny. Ideally, and had they been born bigger, they should weigh 115 grams at the end of week 1.

:vibes: Hang in there! They need you!
I'm keeping it going every 2 hours night and day really want to see them reach above 100 and start thriving its going to be worth it all in the end!! Who needs sleep huh?? 😂