Advice To Get Cat Eating Healthy Again

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I always get suspicious at cheese, sinc esome cheap foods try and market it for people. However, that looks like a really good food, I might have to take a look at that one for our kitties, zoocat zoocat ! Thanks for sharing!

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You know, I've never fed my cat my food that has cheese in it. So I wonder if there are benefits to it or is it more similar to corn/rice where its more like a filler...?

zoocat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You know, I've never fed my cat my food that has cheese in it. So I wonder if there are benefits to it or is it more similar to corn/rice where its more like a filler...?
There really doesn’t seem to be much cheese at all in this particular food—just a few small but identifiable cubes that could easily be picked out. I don’t think it has any real nutrtritional benefit, but I do know an awful lot of cats really love the taste of cheese—some folks here have recommended sprinkling Parmesan cheese as a topper to get a cat to eat the food. So that’s an added benefit. This is “processed” cheddar which isn’t great, but I feel it’s less harmful than many other things—as we say on this board so often, gotta pick your battles

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There really doesn’t seem to be much cheese at all in this particular food—just a few small but identifiable cubes that could easily be picked out. I don’t think it has any real nutrtritional benefit, but I do know an awful lot of cats really love the taste of cheese—some folks here have recommended sprinkling Parmesan cheese as a topper to get a cat to eat the food. So that’s an added benefit. This is “processed” cheddar which isn’t great, but I feel it’s less harmful than many other things—as we say on this board so often, gotta pick your battles
Ah, I see. That totally makes sense. Now I ought to try it on my cat as he's a bit picky when it comes to non-meat things. Thanks.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, I see. That totally makes sense. Now I ought to try it on my cat as he's a bit picky when it comes to non-meat things. Thanks.
He'll probably love the cheese! We have a cat that we call the cheese shark: she just loves hoovering up the Parmesan cheese that falls on the floor when it's being grated. (I think she prefers jumping on the table to eat the cheese off the plate, though...)

Best of all, aged cheeses have lost their lactose. (Article on that here!)

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I tried samples of the kidney foods and she wouldn’t eat them. Her kidney disease is still in the lower stages so that’s good.

I also read about them eating too much fish and that’s all she’d eat of the weruva. I’ll take a look at that list.
If it's Stage 1 I would not worry about prescription diets yet. High quality protein, not reduced protein, is favored by vets like Dr. Lisa Pierson for treating CRF. So it would be better to feed Nature's Variety Instinct than Hill's k/d if you can get your vet to prescribe a phosphorus binder.

I read cats with CRF should not eat any fish. Maybe a few salmon treats are okay, but definitely not a canned food flavor.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I never fed a cat cheese because I read kittens can't digest it anymore after being weaned off breast milk or become lactose intolerant.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never fed a cat cheese because I read kittens can't digest it anymore after being weaned off breast milk or become lactose intolerant.
The lactose comes out of aged cheeses during the process so they're okay, as I mentioned in my post above, with a link. I wouldn't feed a lot of cheese but a little aged cheese is fine.

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tried some shaved parmesan cheese. No such luck! He looked at me like I was insane! Thanks for that link, lisahe lisahe .

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Shredded? Okay. I'll buy some next time I need to go grocery shopping. Vegan cheese is also okay, I'm assuming...?

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Shredded? Okay. I'll buy some next time I need to go grocery shopping. Vegan cheese is also okay, I'm assuming...?
Why would you even think about vegan cheese for a cat? Only MEAT is okay.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd stay away from the vegan cheese since it would only be vegetable matter.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd stay away from the vegan cheese since it would only be vegetable matter.

nati85

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 17 year old cat just recovered from severe pancreatitis for 2 weeks where she wouldn’t eat anything and I had to syringe feed her. During this time I kept a plate of Fancy Feast out for her at all times because she’s always loved it and after 2 weeks she finally at a whole plate of it. I was ecstatic!

Now a week later that’s all I fed her to do whatever possible to keep her eating. Now I can’t get her off of it. She won’t eat anything else. She’d been on Instinct cans for 2 years. She’s also lost weight from the pancreatitis and I need to get that up.

Any advice on how and what I should get her back on? Keep trying Intinct?

I don’t want her eating fancy feast forever.
What are the symptoms for pancreatitis? I think my cat might have that.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I would rather entice him with freeze-dried raw treats so he gets addicted to what you can actually call real cat food.