Advice/support for an overgrooming cat

devanandstella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve had my 2yo cat Stella for about six months, and she has always had a severe overgrooming problem. She drinks plenty of water, and her poop is normal. The vet has approved her diet and flea medication. She is a skittish cat, but her environment is quiet and low-stress. We use all-natural cleaners in our house to be sensitive to our pets. I also don’t allow our dog to come inside my room, which is where Stella spends most of her time. During quarantine I’ve been home with her most of the time, so she gets plenty of attention. When she came home she was overgrooming and had minor hair loss. Now her fur is very poor quality and completely missing in patches. She’s been on several different allergy medications, and a steroid shot. The steroid shot worked for a couple weeks, but the vet and I are hesitant to give her any more because of the health risks. All the other medications had minimal effect.

The vet says her problem is likely a food allergy, which agrees with the research I've done on her symptoms/hair loss pattern. She is currently on a hypoallergenic diet, but it could be several more weeks before we see any changes. I wish I could do an allergy panel to be sure, but I don’t have the money for it. The vet also had her on Apoquel to help ease the transition, but it’s not very effective and quite expensive. She’s starting to get red spots and scabs in the places she itches the most, and I’m worried about her getting an infection. Should I put her in a cone until the new diet starts to work? I’m sure she won’t like the cone, but it feels like my only option to prevent her from self-mutilating over the next few weeks.

It’s been so hard to watch her struggle with this. I feel perpetually discouraged, and the cost of vet visits and medications is equally challenging. This is my first time as a cat parent, and I feel a bit helpless. Any advice would be welcome. I’ve attached a picture from a few weeks ago that shows her bald spots, but I don’t have any pictures of her irritated skin.
Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 8.33.59 PM.png

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Poor baby.. I do feel for her, and I'm sure you're really wishing you could wave a magic wand.

I'd be loathe to do the collar thing as it could add to her stress.

My cat has similar spots from over-grooming and he has severe arthritis. My vet says he's grooming where the pain is. But your girl is only two and has a rash associated with it.

If medication isn't effective enough (in your case, Apoquel) I discontinue. It's pointless putting more things in her system and it's stressful for you to have to pay for it.

I wonder why it takes so long to see the changes?

Last edited:

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
i have a cat that does this too and its a nervous condition i think ... she is fine most of the time and bathes alot

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you considered some sort of cat onesie to cover the worst of the areas?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

devanandstella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's a good idea. It might be impossible to get her into it, seeing as it's a two-person job just to cut her nails. I'll look into it though, thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

devanandstella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wonder why it takes so long to see the changes?
I think it takes so long to see changes because the old food is still being eliminated from her body, which apparently takes quite a while.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's a good idea. It might be impossible to get her into it, seeing as it's a two-person job just to cut her nails. I'll look into it though, thanks!
Make sure you get one with a drawstring neckline. I learned the hard way. At that time she was slender enough to get out of the one without a drawstring neck. The drawstring I make sure I can get 2 fingers under it, but she was comfortable. Delilah had 2 surgeries and for her the onesie was a better option than a cone. I don't know if they make one with long sleeves for cats but this is the one I used:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089SNSHXZ/?tag=thecatsite

It velcros or snaps in the back depending on the design. Open the back, Slip it over her head, slip the legs in the holes, secure the back and the neck. By week 3 post op (it was a long incision) Delilah was over it and trying to get the velcro open but it was pretty strong. But she could lick her bottom to clean her behind, her tail, and her legs.