Advice-sores on cat’s face

Mochi&bagel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everybody,

I apologize for what might be a lengthy post. First I would like to say I have another vet appointment tomorrow morning but I’ve just been worried sick about my baby so I wanted to see if anyone had any experience or advice for me and my cat.
A little over two weeks ago I came home from work and one of my cats had a circular bloody lesion on her face. I called the vet to make an appointment but my husband and I ended up taking her to the emergency vet that night just in case. They initially thought it was the results of a fight between our two cats that got infected. They gave her an antibiotic shot that works for two weeks. About a week after that I noticed it still wasn’t healing and honestly looked like it was spreading. So we got her into our normal vets office for a check up, he looked at it and thought it could potentially be ringworm but the new lesion areas looked again more like trauma (there have been no fights between our cats that we have witnessed and the other cat is perfectly fine) he advised us to let the antibiotic continue to work in her system and see if that clears it up. On Christmas Eve it seemed to be about the same, not completely healed but not worse either. However on Christmas, the fur around the additional lesions fell out leaving her cheek pretty bald. I called again to the vet and they had me get a toothbrush to rub on the infected area to send off to check for ringworm spores. I took that toothbrush to their office today and between this morning and now she has a NEW open lesion higher up on her face. I’m at a loss and so worried about my cat, I don’t know what to do or how to help. Our other cat is completely fine 0 marks or lesions on her face/body. I have attached a few pictures to show the progression of this issue. If anyone has been through something like this before I would love some advice. Since her new spot appeared this afternoon I have called and we have another appointment for tomorrow morning and I’m hoping we can get some answers. 3F754525-6B7C-4700-81D0-B4B8F46A9AE7.jpeg 33AB28EF-4C92-49A5-95D7-FD7803F2D1BA.jpeg D0E4B2B4-CFA6-40EC-AB4D-11F964DA56C5.jpeg 99EAE607-5B3C-4D65-9816-057153255E18.jpeg E3B4D12D-4CB8-4E48-8DDA-ACD089C33510.jpeg 784C0509-A88E-4A07-9CAB-DE84958B1F4F.jpeg 543A3F0A-6CFC-4B79-BBEA-D3C74EB0C51C.jpeg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't know what it might be, but could she be scratching at it because it itches/bothers her and is making it worse that way?

I know they were checking for ringworm but ask what other skin tissue tests they could run besides that. She may also need a topical treatment, and the poor girl might also have to have a cone to keep her from bothering it.

Are you checking around your house for possible things she might have injured herself on?

Let us know what you find out, please.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mochi&bagel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I don't know what it might be, but could she be scratching at it because it itches/bothers her and is making it worse that way?

I know they were checking for ringworm but ask what other skin tissue tests they could run besides that. She may also need a topical treatment, and the poor girl might also have to have a cone to keep her from bothering it.

Are you checking around your house for possible things she might have injured herself on?

Let us know what you find out, please.
Thank you for your reply! We finally got everything back from the vet and she’s negative for ringworm! (Phew)
The new areas the vet felt very certain were due to self trauma, so once we got the negative result we were able to take her in to get a steroid injection to help with the itching, so hopefully everything will clear up soon. Fingers crossed.
we have both checked the house from top to bottom but we haven’t found anything that would pose as a threat of her injuring herself on so we’re still uncertain on exactly what happened to begin with.