Advice- Recovery from Urinary Blockage

Soer313

Born to be wild!!!!
Kitten
Purraise
We have a 4 year old male tabby that just spent the last 2 nights at our vet's office after having a urinary blockage with the crystals. We of course now learn that dry food is the enemy and we regret ever feeding it to him. His bladder was emptied and he spent the last 48 hours with a catheter.

Each call I made to check on Tiberius, once morning and once nightly, I was given the same answer: "his urine is very bloody and there is very little improvement. We still have him on fluids." That was also the same response I received this morning as well. They stated that they intended to keep him tonight as well. I asked them what our total was so far and mentioned that money is tight but his health is 100% of the most importance. She said to call for the PM update as normal.

I received an afternoon voicemail from them stating that he was doing really well and could go home today with food and not needing any medications. My stepdaughter went ahead and picked him up. He came home with a bag of Science Diet Urinary Care C/D, no paperwork with any aftercare instructions, or anything at all. She literally had to ask them if we had to watch out for anything and she specifically said eating, drinking, peeing and all they said was, "yes." That was it.

Behavior wise, he is still laying in an awkward position. His breathing is still a bit heavy. He continues to lick downstairs constantly. He is leaking consistently. He has positioned himself like he wants to pee but has leaked when he does so.

I feel completely unprepared for this and not sure what to look out for. Are these normal behaviors for what he has been through? How long should his breathing continue like this? When should we see a "normal" pee? Are there any warning signs we should look out for? I feel so bad for our little guy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Soer313

Born to be wild!!!!
Kitten
Purraise
I would say his breathing has calmed down a bit compared to what it was earlier. Maybe he was just scared after everything he has been through? Definitely watching for sure.

I put his food down for him and he ate about half of what he normally would. He finally started walking around. He keeps walking to cold tile and laying down. Then he consistently licks himself. He is peeing a lot so we are relieved that he is able to go. No bowel movement yet. However, he is showing no interest in drinking water yet. We have plenty of water out for him so we hope he will go for it soon.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm guessing he didn't eat much at the vets, so he might not poop for a bit yet. You could add a little water to his food, that can help too until he starts drinking. Glad to hear he's acting more like himself!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Soer313

Born to be wild!!!!
Kitten
Purraise
I appreciate the advice!

Is it normal for them to go outside of the litter box after something like this? He never did this before. What about like their typical behaviors? He seems withdrawn and is... touchy? We feel so helpless! We know it will take time and it is so much harder with a furbaby.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
About his litter habits, I think he's working to find his normal again, so hopefully he gets back to his usual behavior soon. Puppy pee pads might help, along with an enzymatic cleaner like Natures Miracle.

My guess is that as he begins to feel better he'll appreciate your attention more. Hang in there :)

STELA44

zafthecat
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

My 6 year old cat just recovered from the same situation as you.
it is really hard seeing him like this. It is really painful to them.
I am surprised that your doctor didn't gave any pills for home. We have a medication for 2 months almost.
Doctor said that the major reason for this is the stress. so try having him relaxed.
Doctor also said that this problem will return sure, just be ready to see very early the signs to give meditation and to avoid the hospitalization