Advice re. Skittish Cat

restondi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all. Could use some advice.

A few months ago, I adopted a cat who was considered "unadoptable". She is four years old and has spent her entire life with the local Humane Society. She wasn't properly socialized, but I needed a friend for my cat (and didn't want a kitten), so I adopted her (I call her Thelma Lou).

So far, Thelma Lou is doing pretty good and making progress. At this point (after a LOT of effort) she follows me around the house, sleeps in the bed with me and my other cat, and seems to want affection (always wants to sit next to me, loves being petted). My biggest remaining issue is that I'm unable to pick her up. This is a problem because I really want to get her to the vet for a checkup (I haven't been able to do that yet).

I sometimes try to place my hands on her as if I'm going to pick her up, but she freaks and runs away (although I can pet her if I'm sitting down ... but usually with one hand). She obviously knows about being picked up and doesn't want me to do that.

Does anyone have any advice re. things I should be doing to try and get her comfortable with being picked up? This is one area I feel a little anxious about (because of the vet thing).

Thanks!

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes, I have had the same problem many times.

Some posters may not agree, but I sedate the scaredy cats. It is easier on them not to be fighting the vet. They cannot get a thouough exam if they are trying to squirm and escape. The pills will wear off and your kitty will have a good exam and you can relax.

Just this past week, I had to sedate Beeba twice for vet visits. It is not my favorite thing to do, but he needed to be examined and this was my answer.

Until the sedatives wear off, you must keep the cat in a safe room, away from stairs. They get pretty groggy and you don't want them to hurt themselves.

I got the seds from my vet and he will give you instructions how to use. I put them in pill pockets or if the cat is agreeable, directly in his mouth.

Good luck.

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you put a blanket in a cat carrier and get the kitty used to sleeping in the carrier and considering the carrier a safe place, she may run into the carrier - then you can just close it on her. I haven't done this myself - but it's my plan in 3 weeks when I have to bring in the stray I'm socializing.

Congrats on the progress!

Was she tested for FLV/FIV at the human society before you integrated her with your other kitty? If not, you should keep them isolated until everything is cleared with the vet.

Thanks for saving this kitty from a life at the shelter

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

restondi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, Thelma Lou was tested before bringing her home (that was a requirement for me). She is doing really well with everything (except for the picking up part). She and Barney (my first cat) are getting along although they're not best buddies yet (I hope that will come in time). She even looks better. I suspect she wasn't getting good nutrition because her coat has improved dramatically since I brought her home (and she LOVES to eat ... I'm a little concerned she might be eating too much, but I'm not worrying too much about that yet).

Strange thing is the Humane Society said they didn't have a problem getting her in a carrier for vet visits or adoption fairs (although she was always overlooked at the fairs). They knew she had a shyness/people problem, but I think she's doing really well, except for the thing they say they never had an issue with (and it's the main issue I'm having).

benthicat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi restondi...maybe this will work for you in the long term?

A couple of months ago my husband and I adopted a 2 year old very shy kitty. She'd been at the shelter for about 5 months. She also is afraid of being picked up, but very affectionate otherwise.

Currently I'm trying to just be really super patient. I'll sit by her and pet her until she's very relaxed. Then, with a bag of treats sitting nearby, I lift up her front paws or just slide my hand under her. Sometimes she runs, but recently she's been accepting it. She always gets a treat and more petting if she wants. If she gets very upset I leave her alone for a while.

An hour ago my husband was able to pick her up and carry her for a little bit so it's working. Maybe Thelma Lou just needs to be desensitized in this way, too.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Time, patience, and TLC will help. Just continue to work on getting her to trust you while petting. Sit on the floor and talk softly to her while you pet her and give her treats or pieces of dry food. Work up to sitting on your lap and then try petting her with both hands. If you don't already have one, you might want to invest in a Feliway diffuser and run that in your house 24/7.

silverstone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Shy cats will eventually get used to you with time. Same cannot always be said for guests.

One strategy I use is find items the cat likes and uses to make a safe association with. For example, one of my cats that is very shy like laundry baskets, and the towels she lies on. So I use those items to make her feel more comfortable when i want her to be around me and socialize her. Anything you can do to reduce the stress will help