Advice Pre Labour?

irusuk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi have taken in a cat, heavily pregnant. Last day or two won't leave me, more vocal although she does talk anyway. I've left nests all around in one room, under bed in cupboard etc. She's been in and out of them all today. She's started to want belly rubs and petting. She's started scratching at the floor, rug, walls, outer cardboard of nest box, etc which hasn't happened before. She was eating constantly but last couple of hours her appetite has stopped. She's using her kitty litter tray happily without fussing or crying for a change! Lots of napping, purring and pacing. Seems content but I'm thinking these are all pre labour signs? She's in my room so so I can sleep/wake through out the night if needed. How long should I be waiting for her to start active labour? Thank you and any advice welcome. (already eating kitten food, flea treatment, worming done, vet could feel 3/4 kittens moving around couple of days ago)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

irusuk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Starting to lick also between naps and changing position.

irusuk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK just noticed watery clear discharge liquid, lots more licking back in her nest. I think tonight is the night.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, its apparently nearing with every hour.
If she wants belly rubs, continue with this. It helps things going.

Belly rubs really use to come a couple of days before, but she is new in your household, so she perhaps hadnt the confidence...

Good luck!

irusuk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, how long after discharge could we be waiting? A day or so? Just so I know if to take her for exam?

irusuk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's having infrequent shudders, I assume contracting has started.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The timetable for prelimnaries is very rough, essentially a waiting game.

Labor is typically shorter with cats than with humans, yet prelabor may be quite long, 24 isnt unusual, even if most often its shorter.

The active pushing fase is short. After 30 minutes begin to worry, 60 minutes and rush in to the vet...

As long as its prelabor not extremely long, observe but take it easy.
Active pushing labor is the full readiness larm phase.

irusuk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's leaking water constantly and starting to strain, I can see baby's moving down low, constant licking and shudders, breathing changes slightly each time. She seems as comfortable as you can be at this stage, not distressed.

irusuk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's OK it was a long difficult night, first kitten was fine. Second OK. Then everything stopped, after 5 hours I just managed to get her in the car for vet exam when 3rd arrived, no life. Got to surgery, 2 more born dead. She stayed there for few hours, they gave her fluids. She's home now resting, 2 kittens are feeding well, she's very good with them. I'm hoping they flourish.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my! What a night. Was her labor stalled and mom in distress?

Had the other kittens passed inside of mom?

Did the vet go ahead and spay mom?

irusuk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her labour just suddenly stopped she was panting, couldn't walk. The kittens were born dead, vet did rub them and encourage mum to lick them, but nothing. She was not spayed shes on antibiotics and I have to take her back in 48 hours so they can redo blood work, temperature etc. She's seems content today but vet has said one day at a time. He thinks it was her first litter and being in a new home etc all the stress didn't help. I'm thinking now perhaps if I'd have got her there sooner...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You did what you could. Did she have a c-section, or just finish delivering at the vet?

irusuk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Natural birth, vet and nurse were kind of manipulating tummy to help her along,it looked quite rough! But did get the kittens out. I was sent out to sit and wait. I will ask when I go back, if I remember correctly vet said he was unsure if they were viable. I'm not entirely sure what he was saying or meaning, I was just relieved she was OK. She's good today, no discharge or anything they gave me a list to watch for. She's a good mumma.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What’s done is done. It’s good that mom and her 2 kittens are doing well today.

irusuk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I was quite upset at clinic didn't really ask questions just relieved the experts were there. I will maybe learn more when we return.