Advice Please--Good food for a long-haired cat

kody's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have spent the last 2 years figuring out the best foods for my bengal. Now Kody may have a brother with very, very long hair..

5 years ago I fostered a cat for a local rescue organization--they don't have any physical shelter, just foster homes. 2 weeks ago the lady that had adopted "Sable" called and told the rescue that she could no longer keep him (for very legitimate reasons, she did not give him up easily). Hope called me and told me that if I could not take him back he would have to go to a shelter & that they didn't give a 8??? year old black cat a very good chance of adoption

He is a gorgeous cat, but since she brought him by yesterday, he is shedding like crazy. She gave me a bag of his current food--Purina Pro Plan Hairball and she says she gives him alittle of the Fancy Feast Beef Feast in Gravy at night. My first thought was that I would slowly change him over to a better canned and maybe the Taste of the Wild, which Kody loves, or the Instinct (which I had just bought a new bag of before Kody decided he would not eat it anymore
), or maybe Fromm.

But even though the grainfree is good for Kody, how would it be for a cat that has such long hair and gets hairballs?

I really want him on the best food for him--the lady that had adopted him really spared no expense, but she was like I was before I adopted Kody, I just didn't know about the huge differences in foods.

Does he necessarily need Hairball management food? If so, what is the best one? If not, I would love recommendations for good foods and how to manage hairballs on long hair cats. When I had him at the vet years ago, I was told he was like a Maine Coon--it had already been neutered when he "found" me--he must have just gotten lost! I always wondered if he belonged to someone that had come to Houston after Katrina, but that we will never know.

Any suggestions would be great!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The grain free may be okay but if I read correctly we are dealing with a 8 year old cat.. Has he had a senior panel? I would be eliminating dry food if at all possible ..

Look for a food with oats , it can be meal , whole or bran ... this helps with the hairballs ... also look for foods with at least 3% omega six fatty acids

nutrolori

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Chester is a long haired guy and he eats Natural Choice Indoor. It contains oat fiber and a vegetable fiber if you are concerned about hairballs. It works great with Chester. He has been eating Nutro foods since he was a kitten. He also eats the gravy & chunk varieties in the Nutro foods. Just a suggestion if you are looking for something different. As sharky suggested definitely look for more fatty acids in whatever food you choose, that will help from the inside out to reduce shedding. I believe the Natural Choice Adult Indoor has over 4%.

I hope you find what works for him.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd vote for switching him to all wet. Preferably something grain free IMO. I'd add some omega - 3's to his food as well but again that is just my opinion partially explained here: http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph...mentforyourcat

Mikey is one of my DSH cats who has had horrible problems with hairballs - until a month ago. The day after I switched him to raw his hairballs stopped

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kody's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will certainly try him on raw--that is Kody's main food. But I have my doubts if that will be successful with an 8 year old--maybe when I can feed him and Kody together he will want to eat what Kody is eating though.

I went tonght just to "scope out" a few of the different foods that might be specifically for long haired cats. I just don't know if they are really that much different from the regular formulas. I would love to be able to feed him what my Kody eats, it would certainly be much simpler.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kody's Mom

I will certainly try him on raw--that is Kody's main food. But I have my doubts if that will be successful with an 8 year old--maybe when I can feed him and Kody together he will want to eat what Kody is eating though.

I went tonght just to "scope out" a few of the different foods that might be specifically for long haired cats. I just don't know if they are really that much different from the regular formulas. I would love to be able to feed him what my Kody eats, it would certainly be much simpler.
my easiest raw transitions were a 16 year old cat and a 9 year old dog ////

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a mix of bengals and long and short haired domestics, and I feed them a blend of Royal Canin 33 (hair & skin,) Royal Canin 32 (bengals like this the best,) Royal Canin 27 indoor and Nature's Variety Instinct.

Everyone's coats are shiny and they are all healthy, plus the RC 33 helps with hairballs. My male bengal likes to groom EVERYONE, so he gets huge hairballs, LOL!