Advice on Trapping Feral Kittens

dina25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Harbour Freight has a wireless alarm that costs less than $15.  It has a passive infrared that detects movement (battery operated), while inside the house there is a "chime" device that alerts you to motion.  Don't know the range but they are used as driveway alerts for cars entering.  When trapping near the house I put one of these and it alerts me when something is caught.  Racoons, possums, cats--I don't like to leave anything longer in the cage than necessary.  Works very well with an open can of tuna.

I also have one of these near the outside door so that I can feed a stray when they come--otherwise if I put food out the racoons get it first.  They know my address!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Precious. Smudge does look so content with her two little ones well underneath her. Yes - good plan, to keep them inside until the SPCA will take them to be neutered. Smudge seems to have made up her mind, too, that inside is much better. Hope things continue to go smoothly as I am sure they will AND that you are able to snatch up the other one OR two. Keep up your tremendous struggles and accomplishments with this little family. It is SOO worthwhile and we are happy you are sharing your story with us. :high5:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow Dina...what a great idea!!!

I am like you, I just can't let the cats sit in a trap at all!!! Which is why I sit watching the trap until I catch someone...

You cannot imagine the amount of time you have saved me.

Just a genius idea.

Thanks so much!

And, I can certainly use it on the safe room as well. Which will be just perfect to know when Smudge decides to exit the room!!!

Whoopee, you are awesome.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Feralvr. Hope it is helpful for some to know what can happen with a little feral family.

I will try to get better pictures.

I am going to get the alarm that Dina mentioned. What a super idea, don't you think??

Hope all is well with you. I had a chance last night to read some threads on the site.You are such a help to everyone here. 

Your encouragement, and support are simply priceless!

Please place a gold star on your forehead and tell everyone how wonderful you are!!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks Feralvr. Hope it is helpful for some to know what can happen with a little feral family.
I will try to get better pictures.
I am going to get the alarm that Dina mentioned. What a super idea, don't you think??

Hope all is well with you. I had a chance last night to read some threads on the site.You are such a help to everyone here. 
Your encouragement, and support are simply priceless!
Please place a gold star on your forehead and tell everyone how wonderful you are!!:heart3:
Yes - I do think Dina's tip is brilliant!! There were many a nights I would be up all night watching traps outside, checking them every hour, while trying to cat a family of feral cats. The motion detection alarm would be a life saver and sleep saver. BUT, I think no matter what when we are in the midst of trapping overnight - my great angst overtakes any possible sleep. :lol:

p.s. UHHH - :blush:, there are many, many member's on site that go the extra mile in the support department and have that deep love and compassion for cats and the people trying to help them... but I thank you for your extremely kind compliment. :touch:

Last edited: