Advice on Recipe / Couple Questions

kranek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
I made a post earlier this year about switching my girl with allergies to raw, and I’m finally getting around to actually doing it (I would’ve before now, but life is a mess, etc).

I have a rough recipe lined up with where I would source everything, but a couple things don’t feel quite right to me.

First, I plan on using the TCfeline premix here. Based on their math, the 17oz bag has 12 “batches” with 10 servings each. That would make the bag last (roughly) four months. That really doesn’t seem like that long for the cost.

Based on that, is there a more “complete” guide on doing individual supplements? Like, saying how much to use per pound of meat, etc. I don’t mind a bit of extra work. I could be looking in all the wrong places, but I didn’t find anything. Or, if doing individual supplements would be the same cost, I’ll just buy the TCfeline :).

Next, the TCfeline recipe. I’ve seen the ratio of “80% muscle meat, 5% secreting organ, 5% liver, and 10% bone.” I know I can ignore bone because of the calcium, and it requires liver, but what about other secreting organs? It just feels a bit off to me. Also, it says that eggs are optional, but I have to leave them about because of her allergies. Would it help to add anything in instead?

Finally, the recipe. For now, I’m using Hare-Today as my meat/organ source since it’s a bit easier to compare prices and things from one place, and they’re actually only a couple of hours away from me. Since Diana is allergic to every form of poultry I’ve tried, I based this recipe on rabbit/beef to try and get some variety in there, while still not costing an arm and a leg :). Here’s a screenshot, since I already worked it out in a table. I feel that it's mostly balanced (if a bit beef heavy) but a second view is always helpful.
1664753502110.png

I appreciate any help- I really do want to get her switched over, I just want to make sure I’m doing it right :).
Thanks again!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I can’t help with the majority of what you’re asking, but I can say that individual supplements, after the initial cost, are a fraction of the cost per batch of any of the commercial pre-mixes. I have used Alnutrin with Calcium and EZComplete, but the cats liked their food better when I used the supplements.