Advice on Raising 4-week old kitten

kamikaze007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello guys,

I need your help again. I will be adopting a 4-week old kitten soon but the problem is I will be at work for the most part of the day. She'll be accompanied by my adult cat. Any tips on how will raise this kitten. He will stay in my room with my adult cat. My adult cat is skittish and i think she will not hate the company of this kitten. 

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello guys,

I need your help again. I will be adopting a 4-week old kitten soon but the problem is I will be at work for the most part of the day. She'll be accompanied by my adult cat. Any tips on how will raise this kitten. He will stay in my room with my adult cat. My adult cat is skittish and i think she will not hate the company of this kitten. 
Have you spoken with a vet, or the shelter you're adopting him from, about your schedule? Unless you have someone coming in during the day to give him a bottle, I don't see how this can work. Kittens start being weaned at four weeks. They're usually not fully weaned until ten weeks.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kamikaze007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you spoken with a vet, or the shelter you're adopting him from, about your schedule? Unless you have someone coming in during the day to give him a bottle, I don't see how this can work. Kittens start being weaned at four weeks. They're usually not fully weaned until ten weeks.

Margret
I was informed that kitten is now canned food, as to what canned food I assume it's commercial canned food for human.

I am not adopting this cat from a shelter. I have this neighbor who is giving out kittens, he said the kitten is now eating canned food. I am actually hesitant on adopting the kitten that young but i was concerned because he has already been giving out some of his kittens. I have heard rumors that there are some people adopting kittens to feed it to a snake. I am just concerned that it might happen and it can actually happen in my neighborhood. I think I can save one kitten, but if it can't work out then i will just have to turn down on adopting this kitten. 

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
There are some kitten experts that may be able to help with the logistics of rescuing this baby.

If it can be done, they will be able to help :)

catwoman707 catwoman707
@sarthur2

kamikaze007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are some kitten experts that may be able to help with the logistics of rescuing this baby.

If it can be done, they will be able to help

@catwoman707
@sarthur2
I actually live in the Philippines, if they can adopt the kitten by today that would be great. 

LotsOfFur

Top Cat
Purraise
They can give you advice but I believe both are located in the U.S.

@Juleska maybe able to refer you or know better what your options are in the Philippines.

LotsOfFur

Top Cat
Purraise
If you think this kitten is in danger then you should definitely rescue it if you have the means.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi.

If you take the kitten, make certain she is definitely fully weaned, as in-all food is eaten on her own, no nursing or supplements at all.

This may be, but very young to be fully weaned with no mom.

Kitten is very young to be away from siblings also, she she will cry and carry on, acting depressed for a while.

She also MUST be crated while you are away, and actually should be anyway unless you are wanting to hold her because she is still learning to use the litterbox.

I think she is simply a bit too young to be left alone like this, or for that matter away from her mom and sibs.

Very sad but i do understand where you think she needs saving.

Yes, people do feed snakes kittens.

Also used as bait for dog fighting.

kamikaze007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you think this kitten is in danger then you should definitely rescue it if you have the means.

Hi.

If you take the kitten, make certain she is definitely fully weaned, as in-all food is eaten on her own, no nursing or supplements at all.

This may be, but very young to be fully weaned with no mom.

Kitten is very young to be away from siblings also, she she will cry and carry on, acting depressed for a while.

She also MUST be crated while you are away, and actually should be anyway unless you are wanting to hold her because she is still learning to use the litterbox.

I think she is simply a bit too young to be left alone like this, or for that matter away from her mom and sibs.

Very sad but i do understand where you think she needs saving.

Yes, people do feed snakes kittens.

Also used as bait for dog fighting.
Thank you for the encouragement and advice. 

I will find a way to make this work, I asked my mom if she can take care of the kitten while i am away from home. I hope she'll cooperate. 

How many times should i feed him? I just bought this cat food in can it's pate, it says on the label "all life stages", I assume it's okay for him. Should i still feed him cat's milk even though she's already eating solid food? 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Honestly, your best bet is to get a pair.

Pate canned is correct, fancy feast classics or their kitten canned is good.

I would mush some kmr in to it when you are home, water when you are not due to the spoiling factor.

Definitely do not leave out of a cage though, please.

There is just no way this kitten is old enough to get itself out of places and spaces at this young of age, it is totally not safe.

As much as he/she wants to eat. 4 times a day is about right.

LotsOfFur

Top Cat
Purraise
Please update and post pictures of your new kitty or kitties :D

kamikaze007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have the kitten under my care now. he knows how to use the litter box and very active cat. we played for about 15 to 30 mins until he was worn out and now he's sleeping on my lap.

he's eating pate canned food but i add a little water. his feces is somewhat watery (bbq sauce-like consistency, is it normal? i don't see blood though and he is defecating every after meal. he can finish 1 tablespoonful of the pate.

cowandchicken3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The one thing the 4 week old kitten needs is other cats

If it doesnt get that then it could not survive the winter

I believe it has what it needs, but who could live without companions

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I have the kitten under my care now. he knows how to use the litter box and very active cat. we played for about 15 to 30 mins until he was worn out and now he's sleeping on my lap.

he's eating pate canned food but i add a little water. his feces is somewhat watery (bbq sauce-like consistency, is it normal? i don't see blood though and he is defecating every after meal. he can finish 1 tablespoonful of the pate.
It actually sounds like kitten may be just a bit older than 4 weeks, maybe even 5, 4 week olds are still rather toy-ish and haven't gotten good at agility, play is pretty calm.

Eating canned well and using the box well also tells me a bit more than 4 weeks.

Weight will be helpful, 4 weeks will weigh about 1 lb or so.

No, runny poop isn't normal, but it may be the food change, give it several days and see if it gets better.

He will need deworming too at some point fairly soon.

kamikaze007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

It actually sounds like kitten may be just a bit older than 4 weeks, maybe even 5, 4 week olds are still rather toy-ish and haven't gotten good at agility, play is pretty calm.

Eating canned well and using the box well also tells me a bit more than 4 weeks.

Weight will be helpful, 4 weeks will weigh about 1 lb or so.

No, runny poop isn't normal, but it may be the food change, give it several days and see if it gets better.

He will need deworming too at some point fairly soon.
I just asked my neighbor on the kitten's date of birth and he said he was born on 29th of August. I think he weaned it too early, i counted the days since i got the kitten and i think the kitten is just on his 4th week. Now I am worried. 

He's such an angel and it will surely break my heart if I fail on raising him. He sleeps on my lap after playing.