Advice on moving to new house

epwv82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 9 cats and 4 dogs, and they have only ever lived in the house we live in now. DH and I are building a new house that should be finished around Thanksgiving and I have some concerns on one of my cats and what I should do.

Bert is 10, and has had spraying issues most of his life. For 5 years he was on Prozac and it worked like a charm. Then it just seemed to stop working. So for the last few years he has been segregated in the back bedroom, and unfortunately, because 2 of my other cats refuse to go downstairs to use those litter boxes, they have been segregated in there as well, because that's where I had the upstairs litter boxes. When we move, the new house is all one level, with an extra room just for litter boxes, and I don't plan on making the other 2 cats that live in that room be segregated anymore. But I'm not quite sure what to do about Bert. I obviously don't want him going and spraying all over my new house. But, if I have to end up making him live in a separate room, then he will be all alone this time. Also, the only place in the new house that I would have to put him is the unfinished bonus room above the garage. So, any advice on what to do about a psraying cat, where we orginally had it all worked out and now don't?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Sorry it's been so long for a reply, @epwv82

I actually don't know what to suggest, as it could be that he'll go berserk spraying in a new place, but you never know what may happen.

I'd talk to a vet about the possibility of using something to help the settling in process.. whether it be the prozac again, or other calming aids.

I hope there's others who will come along with suggestions..