Advice on moving cats to a temporary place then back home

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I'm dogsitting my friend's dog and living at his place during the week and at my place during the weekend. I've been going back and forth morning and night to feed my cats. I'm wondering how hard and traumatic would it be to move my cats to my friend's place? He'll be back during Christmas and then he leaves again after Christmas until April. Is this too much for cats? I've never moved them other than to bring to the vets. I'm sure my older cat Schweppie would eventuallyadjust but my younger kitten, I'm not sure. He's not yet used to my friend's dog yet.

If you think it's okay to do this, how would I do it? Would I put them both in the bathroom for example and then gradually into a bigger room?

I would appreciate some advice as I miss my cats. I just don't want my friend's dog in myhouse while I'm away (he marks even though he's neutered - I don't need the added mess!). Plus, there's more room at my friend's place and more rooms to enclose animals in.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I dog sat, I lived at home and went to the dog once or twice a day. Perhaps you are too far away for that. Does the dog like cats? Is he safe around cats, would he hurt them? Those would be my main concerns. It may take a while and be traumatic for them to acclimate to a new situation especially with a dog. It could be a hassle. Then it could be ok. Can you do a trial run? I just rechecked your post. You go back am and pm to see your cats? If it were me, I would go and see the dog once in the am and once at night and throw a couple of extra visits a week in to exercise and play with the dog. Could you bring him to your house and keep him in a certain area where it wouldn't matter if he marked?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by farleyv

When I dog sat, I lived at home and went to the dog once or twice a day. Perhaps you are too far away for that. Does the dog like cats? Is he safe around cats, would he hurt them? Those would be my main concerns. It may take a while and be traumatic for them to acclimate to a new situation especially with a dog. It could be a hassle. Then it could be ok. Can you do a trial run? I just rechecked your post. You go back am and pm to see your cats? If it were me, I would go and see the dog once in the am and once at night and throw a couple of extra visits a week in to exercise and play with the dog. Could you bring him to your house and keep him in a certain area where it wouldn't matter if he marked?
Thanks farleyv for your reply. I did end up taking the cats to my friend's apartment. They are doing okay. The dog would not hurt the cat; he's totally obsessed with him; just stares at him and follows him everywhere. The cat used to swat and hiss at him during previous visits but now he's just ignoring the dog. My older cat, Schweppie, is doing okay. The younger one is doing okay but cries occasionally. I'll see how it goes and then see what happens in the next week or so. I just don't want my cats to think I don't love them anymore!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since you are house/dog sitting for the long term, I think it was the right thing do do, to bring them with you. Now you are spared worrying about them all week, and all that back and forth traveling.

Take them home with you while the home owner is there at Christmas time, then bring them back when you go back to stay until April. Sounds like they are adjusting well, and will be okay. If you were worried about stress you could always put in some feliway plug in diffusers in both homes. (only keep them plugged in when you are there)