Advice On Mother And Her Kittens

Andyz9595

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
3 weeks plus ago this cat was pregnant and I’ve been feeding her ever since her whole gestation period.
And one morning, when she came to my door entrance as usual for food and I’ve noticed her belly gotten smaller and that’s when I know she already gave birth. After i fed her I saw her walking back behind my gardens storage room, a place where I store piles of boxes and i noticed her going in there, even though I haven’t seen the kittens but i know she gave birth there because she would just walk back there every time after food.

I need some advice, it’s already been 3 weeks but i don’t hear any kittens meowing or crying.. or making any noise. I want to know when is the right time for me to really move the boxes so I could see and handle the babies? What should I do actually? I really want to help but I just don’t know how? The cat gave birth at place, I wanna help in a way but I don’t know how. Somehow I’m worried about the mama and her kittens too because it has been raining heavily in my place recently. Mama Cat I think is fine because I always feed her and she let me hold and touch her but just the babies.. I don’t even know how many are they and are they alright.. should I wait until the kitten just walk out by itself? But what bothers me is I never hear any kitten crying.. And to be honest I want to see the kittens too.. also what should I do with the mama cat and kittens.. Appreciate all the advices thanks :) looking forward to all your replies..

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A rough plan is, you prepare their room with everything they need. You fetch a carrier with fleece in.
You try to localize their nest - perhaps just by talking sweetly to momma and following her - and you collect the kittens into the carrier, and carry them home. Hoping momma will follow them and you. Usually it goes OK, momma follows, esp as she knows you and trust quaite a lot.
Well home, you have them in this room, and allow her to cool down and land some.

After it comes the usual etc, etc... :)

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am sure the kittens are fine. At 3 weeks their eyes should be open and they spend a lot of time sleeping, in a pile.
Determine where to relocate the litter. It needs to be a secure location so the mom cannot move them and hide them. I have a large shed and a small shed, I usually use one of those. Have the area prepared with what mom needs; food, water, litterbox.
When you move the boxes the mom might hover around you but since it seems like she trusts you she probably won't worry about you hurting the babies. Be prepared to move them to the new location right away though. Have a container of some sort ready to place them in. Move them to the new location right away. Make sure the mom is in the building with you. If the container is such that it is big enough for the mom to get into then leave it so she might use it as a nest, though she might relocate them within the building later.
Whenever I have shed kittens I touch them as much as possible. I talk or sing to myself so they become accustomed to a human voice.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you could also move them to a room in your home. Mom sounds quite friendly.

Spaying and neutering Mom and babies is going to be critical. You could also try to find homes for all of them.

Where are you located? We can help to find a rescue that could help.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you located the kittens yet? You need to move them into a room in your home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Andyz9595

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you located the kittens yet? You need to move them into a room in your home.
I haven't. I’m stressed out as my parents isn’t fond of cats and no matter how much I express my feeling and worries, they just don’t care at all.

I shouldn’t be saying all this but I really need help. Actually my parents stays separately, the cat is at my dad place and I’m currently living with my Mum. I do visit my dad often that’s why somehow I bonded with the mama cat.

Now my dad place there’s a room available but my dad doesn’t let me at all, he’s not a animal person. He just doesn’t care. I asked my mum to talk to him but the same, my Mum doesn’t care too, she just follows my dad.

But as for Mum place where I currently staying, there’s no room space but theres a rectangle cage, I can’t put them there as I’m afraid it’s too small space for them.

I’m so lost I don’t even know what to do, I can’t just turn blind. For the first time I saw the the kittens just now, I guess they’re in their 4 weeks and at anytime soon they will need dry food without Mum milk right, that’s why right now I’m just so stressed out I’m thinking for a solution, but nothing.

My dad doesn’t let, im planning actually to bring them back to my mum place temporary put them in that cage I mentioned and take care of them until theyre ready to wean so I can put them for adoption, cage maybe at night when it’s sleeping time but I will let them out during the day so they won’t be stuck in the cage the whole day feeling all locked up. Is it a good alternative?

I won’t plan to send them to those rescue tbh I don’t really like the idea of those animal welfare society in my country. That’s why I will put them adoption.

If theyre any another’s solution, please let me know.. in a day or two I’m gonna take them in.. the cage idea.. I’m out of choice.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The cage is prob ok tobegin with. How big is it?

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For the first time I saw the the kittens just now, I guess they’re in their 4 weeks and at anytime soon they will need dry food
As long as nothing happens to her the mom will continue nursing them. Sometimes until they are even 5 months old. She won't simply abandon them.
Right now they are like toddlers. They don't need to feed as often and she will go hunting and forage for food. She could disappear for hours and hours at a time.
For feral cats that is really not a problem.
If you have no place to keep them and have no plans to take them to a shelter then your options are limited.
If you are really concerned then at best you could provide food so the mom doesn't have to work so hard to feed her litter.
This could lead to the cats all staying around the yard though and it could do them more harm than good.
Can you provide to spay and neuter them at all so they won't become an overpopulating nuisance to your parent?

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Is your mom ok with you bringing them to her house? Are you going to be able to provide food for them and everything?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Andyz9595

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
4F425A58-CE66-4773-B838-9C0691FCD381.jpeg
Well good news :)! I managed to get the mother and the babies back to my place. Parents did have lots of sarcastic saying but I just did what’s right to me, can’t force them to understand about the animals tho.

But anyway ! Thanks for all the advice and worries ! The mama cat and 2 kitten are safe and cozy. I provided foods and toys for them :) I know the cage looks really unpleasant but I’ll make sure they will come out in the day, but ofc back inside when it’s sleeping time.. I hope I will be able to find them a rightful loving owner for the mama and kids onces the babies can be wean.

Ps i might need some advice soon again maybe, for now I can’t say anything because the Mum, even tho she trusted me bringing her here but I do know she still stressed out with her new environment, i will update you guys in a day or two about them.. because I know there will be something I need help of ;) for now i just checked on her, the babies are fast asleep but mama is not sleeping, probably stress of new environment while looking after for the babies while they sleeping maybe maybe.

Once again thank you ;) will update soon.