Advice on managing corneal sequestrum in both eyes?

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello TCS,

My sweet cat Mumu underwent eye surgery in early May this year to treat her glaucoma in both eyes and an anterior lens luxation in the right eye. As my other threads indicate, Mumu had a massive inflammatory reaction to the surgery and lost her vision in both eyes. I am heartbroken and still coming to terms with my decision to have Mumu undergo surgery, but that's not immediately important.

Mumu's corneas have become less sensitive as a result of the surgery and she now rarely blinks of closes her eyes fully, especially since she is also blind. The exposure causes corneal ulcers that would not heal over 2 months and different treatments (see other thread on diamond burr debridement suggestion). Now the corneal ulcers on both eyes have started to develop into sequestrums. The ophthalmologist said that because Mumu's corneas are now weakened and slow to heal, plus she has systemic conditions like CKD and hypothyroidism, Mumu is not a good candidate for surgical treatment. The vet doesn't want to put Mumu under anesthesia short of enucleating her eye/s. Besides, because Mumu isn't closing her eyes (and the vet has no idea why this is the case), the corneal ulcers would probably come back anyway after a surgical treatment.

Has anyone had experience with managing the corneal sequestrums medically? Right now, Mumu is not in a lot of pain that the vet or I could tell. Her eyes tear up more but she isn't pawing at them or squinting, etc. I know that if the sequestrums continue to get worse, she could become more painful and we would need to consider enucleation. I would do that it lets Mumu be without pain. I just want more than anything for Mumu not to be in discomfort.

She is in terramycin ointment 4 times a day, Timolol drops for her glaucoma 2 times a day, and puralube and artificial tears as often as I can manage.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Poor Mumu! And you! I have nothing to offer so the best I could do was do a search on this site for possible past threads. I found some - most are older - but maybe they contain some helpful information? Of course, I suspect you've already done this.
Search Results for Query: corneal sequestrum | TheCatSite
I also suspect you've done every internet search for information too, but I will still share a couple I found informative (probably only because I knew nothing about this before your post).
Feline Corneal Sequestrum • MSPCA-Angell
Feline corneal sequestrum - Veterinary Teaching Hospital (colostate.edu)
Dark Spots on the Eye in Cats | PetMD

Any chance your specialty vet has reached out to some vet universities to see if they might have additional ideas?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor Mumu! And you! I have nothing to offer so the best I could do was do a search on this site for possible past threads. I found some - most are older - but maybe they contain some helpful information? Of course, I suspect you've already done this.
Search Results for Query: corneal sequestrum | TheCatSite
I also suspect you've done every internet search for information too, but I will still share a couple I found informative (probably only because I knew nothing about this before your post).
Feline Corneal Sequestrum • MSPCA-Angell
Feline corneal sequestrum - Veterinary Teaching Hospital (colostate.edu)
Dark Spots on the Eye in Cats | PetMD

Any chance your specialty vet has reached out to some vet universities to see if they might have additional ideas?
Hi FeebysOwner FeebysOwner thanks for your encouragement! I really appreciate it and it helps a lot. I did look at the past threads and the websites you linked. As you imagine, I searched and researched right when I got the diagnosis for Mumu and then came to TCS hoping for even more info. Mumu is actually already being seen by the ophthalmology department at the vet school an hour from me after her problems started while she was under care somewhere else. I hope we are getting the most up to date care options. There definitely is a more careful approach at the vet school because of Mumu's different other conditions.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know we didn't give you much help, but we would love to be kept apprised as you go through this process - if you are willing. Maybe you are doing that through your other thread? I just found it...

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know we didn't give you much help, but we would love to be kept apprised as you go through this process - if you are willing. Maybe you are doing that through your other thread? I just found it...
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner yes, definitely as we continue Mumu's rechecks with ophthalmology, I am going to update this thread (or the other). I have discovered that cats' eyes often don't get the attention that dogs' eyes get once we get beyond herpes viral eye infections. I hope Mumu's story might at least help another kitty.