Advice on keeping other animals away from my ferals

Noelle_W

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently had saw a feral in my neighborhood and started feeding her. Eventually, I was able to trap her and get her spayed and dewormed. I released her because she was very wild and miserable in my house. She was such a pain-in-the-you-know-what that I named her Karen. She was hissing, biting and bleeding from trying to get out of her kennel. I released her back into my backyard and now set food out for her every morning and evening. I also bought a house for her and put straw in it...but I honestly have no idea if she uses it. It is near my house, so I kind of think she doesn't use it. She wants nothing to do with me.

So, I think I've created a mess. I now have raccoons, a coyote and a possom visiting regularly. I don't mind feeding wildlife, but I don't want to harm wildlife, either, or make this a habit for them. PLUS another problem is that neighborhood dogs are now coming into my yard to eat the cat food. Honestly, that is what bothers me most because I worry if the coyote and dogs have a run in, the neighbors' dogs harming the wildlife, or the nieghbors' dogs running into my dog (who is dog-aggressive). I've talked to neighbors and gently told them their dogs were on my property and eating my cat food--they kind of laugh it off.

So, I have several questions for you:

Is there anything I can do to stop this menagerie showing up? I really just want to feed Karen. She really prefers to come out at night. I would LOVE it if she would come in the morning for food and that would be her only meal. But I don't know if she is eating the morning food. I have a busy, stressful job (I work from home) and cannot watch my backyard to see who is eating the food. I check the food occasionally, and it doesn't look like much is eaten.

Another question is--is there something I could put the food in (like a feeding station or something) where other animals could not get to it?

Another question-- do you recommend only feeding in the day and then this would "train" her to come out in the day for her food. I used to see her in the daytime, but now I rarely do.

I am afraid for Karen's safety and I am rarely getting sigtings of her. When I first saw her, it was summer and she was out in the daytime. I've rarely seen her now, and I'm wondering if it is b/c it is getting colder? Would that stop her from coming out in the day?

Sorry for all the questions--but I am desperate for advice!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi

a couple things I've read about might be putting the food up on a tall stand of some type.

Additionally, put a camera up so you can determine if there's a window of time that she appears. Then put the food into a timed feeder that opens during a specific time that you set.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Noelle_W

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I was just looking into wildlife cameras.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I would set up a feeding time where you can observe her and keep the other animals away. This ensures she is getting her food and not everyone else.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Feeding times may not work on Day One, but it can be worked out. My three ferals are at the door at 5 AM and 5 PM which works for me and there is no food out during the day or later at night. Start working at it, but you may have to do it incrementally.

Noelle_W

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, when you say "start working on it", what exactly do you mean? Do I just set food out at 5 pm, and if not eaten by 6 pm, take it away?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Not necessarily. If the food is removed too quickly, the cat may start to believe that she has lost her food source. If you use the camera, see what time she voluntarily comes. This might take a couple of days to determine. Put the food out then and let her eat. When she voluntarily leaves, pick up the food dish. Feeding her at night probably depends on your personal schedule and what is meant by "night" as you have to live your life as well.

Do you suspect that she is a grazer and returns for food several times during the day or night? A camera should help you with that.

Noelle_W

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you have a camera you recommend? I looked into wildlife cameras, and realized they're not live. I have to collect the card and look at it later on my computer. I'd like to have a camera that pings my phone.

DeeCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you have a camera you recommend? I looked into wildlife cameras, and realized they're not live. I have to collect the card and look at it later on my computer. I'd like to have a camera that pings my phone.
Hi Noelle!

Sorry in advance: this will be rushed - but I saw this and had to reply... I am in the middle of work so it'll be short. :)

I was/am in the very same situation (still trying to get the little guy!) and was new to surveillance cameras - now that I've tried all the main ones, I HIGHLY recommend getting a Blink camera (or ten, as I have by now, lol!) -- and they are 50% off now on, ahem, that huge 'internet store' (that I try not to buy stuff from, but as I have Prime, I have been buying so much for the pets there the past 2 weeks!). I don't know how long they will be on this "Halloween" sale -- they are about $55 now, I think. You will need a Sync module and the basic blink camera --- note that if you buy a "kit," it will have the sync module with it. I also got a Blink USB flash drive ($14) because I do not use their subscription service. It's wireless, uses batteries. I just have them outside, and they are fine in rain and snow. They send alerts to my iPhone. (FYI: I was only able to set it up initially using an iPad, because my iPhone wouldn't let me initialize it - but it's been working fine with my phone since then.)

Definitely recommend them to find out when your kitty arrives - it has HUGELY helped me.

Also I put dry food out when I know (now, thanks to the camera) that he's usually around, so it's there for him - he used to only come by at night but has slowly gotten earlier and earlier. I work from home, so I rush out when I get the alert that he's around and put out wet food - his preference - when I know he's there for sure. (He used to run but now, many weeks later, does not run). I never leave food out at night unless I know he is out there, and always bring the bowl in -- it is always empty after he's here! -- don't even leave the bowl out because fox, coyote, raccoons, etc are out there.

I will try to check back, sorry my reply is so rushed and disjointed.

Hope all goes well!

Noelle_W

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Noelle!

Sorry in advance: this will be rushed - but I saw this and had to reply... I am in the middle of work so it'll be short. :)

I was/am in the very same situation (still trying to get the little guy!) and was new to surveillance cameras - now that I've tried all the main ones, I HIGHLY recommend getting a Blink camera (or ten, as I have by now, lol!) -- and they are 50% off now on, ahem, that huge 'internet store' (that I try not to buy stuff from, but as I have Prime, I have been buying so much for the pets there the past 2 weeks!). I don't know how long they will be on this "Halloween" sale -- they are about $55 now, I think. You will need a Sync module and the basic blink camera --- note that if you buy a "kit," it will have the sync module with it. I also got a Blink USB flash drive ($14) because I do not use their subscription service. It's wireless, uses batteries. I just have them outside, and they are fine in rain and snow. They send alerts to my iPhone. (FYI: I was only able to set it up initially using an iPad, because my iPhone wouldn't let me initialize it - but it's been working fine with my phone since then.)

Definitely recommend them to find out when your kitty arrives - it has HUGELY helped me.

Also I put dry food out when I know (now, thanks to the camera) that he's usually around, so it's there for him - he used to only come by at night but has slowly gotten earlier and earlier. I work from home, so I rush out when I get the alert that he's around and put out wet food - his preference - when I know he's there for sure. (He used to run but now, many weeks later, does not run). I never leave food out at night unless I know he is out there, and always bring the bowl in -- it is always empty after he's here! -- don't even leave the bowl out because fox, coyote, raccoons, etc are out there.

Hope all goes well!
Thank you so much! I feel the same way about Amazon, but I too, am a Prime member. I will be purchasing the Blink camera.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Noelle!

Hope all goes well!
So I can get Blink without Alexa?

suh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I can get Blink without Alexa?
Yes, Blink works without Alexa. One thing to note is that Blink might stop recording/detecting motion after a period of time if you don't have a subscription. You'll have to choose between paying or just using the camera for live view.