Advice on Keeping Long Hair from Knotting Up

sweetz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Gizmo is a long haired part Maine Coon cat. His fur knots up really bad even with brushing him daily. We have him shaved when he starts to get knots however to shave him he has to be put to sleep in order for the groomer (who is also my vet) to shave him. I am worried about having to have him put to sleep everytime he knots up, is there anything that anyone knows about that might help keep him from knotting up so badly? We brush him every day, doesn't help.
I've seen cat de-tangler but I'm worried that it might be harmful if he licks it, has anyone used this type of product or know anything more about them? I know it hurts Gizzy to have these knots and I would love to prevent them anyway I can. Thanks in Advance!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't recommend using any brush (other then a pin brush) on long hair cats. They should be combed daily with a fine and medium toothed comb. Brushing doesn't do any thing to prevent tangles.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just last Sunday I had the groomer come over to deal with the mats my two blue DLH cats had. I had been brushing them (with a pin brush) and a comb, but still, some mats formed. Neither one were in bad shape, but I wasn't going to let it get bad.

I don't know what she did to remove the mats as she was alone with them in the bathroom. But she did take off a lot of fur. I have a mat remover gadget that I showed her, but she didn't like that as she said it was dangerous and could cut a cat's skin. I threw it out.

This groomer, who only grooms cats and is booked up every day, suggested I buy a professional grooming comb that she uses. It's made by Chris Christensen Systems, Inc. The one she recommended was a 006 Buttercomb fine/course 5". I got it from the website. It's not cheap, and I don't know if it will solve the problem as I've only had it a few days. It does go through my cats' fur without tugging.

I am totally against anesthesia for grooming (or anything else unless absolutely necessary for health). So, I'm going to avoid that at all costs. You may want to consider a really good cat groomer instead of the vet. My groomer comes to the house and she handled both of my cats gently, but got the job done. I'm relieved, and so are they.

Robin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just wanted to let you know, the only reason they put him under anestesia he is very nervous around any type of clippers, scissors, even the vacuum he runs and hides. We think this might have something to do wtih his previous owner (we adopted him from a pet store the same day he was brought in), we also think the previous owner may have gotten rid of him because of the cost to keep him beautiful, I couldn't imagine ever giving him up just because his fur mats up, he's such a gorgeous kitty, mats and all.

This is when we first got him: (2 yrs old)

This is before we had him shaved the last time:

This is after we had him shaved (he looks so small)

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gorgous cat! My Ariel had to be put under every time she was groomed (shaved) at the shelter where she was for three years before I took her home. But the "master" cat groomer handled her just fine without having to do that.

Most cats are afraid of vacuum cleaners. Turning one on is pretty much a sure way to shoo a cat. I have one Lily, who is afraid of sticks or stick like objects - brooms, mops, meterstick, even my cello bows. She was a stray, so I suspect someone did something to her to make her that way. If I hold any of those objects, she takes off. It pains me to think someone mistreated her. She is a very living and trusting cat, anyway.

So, depending on where you live, you may be able to find an accomplished cat groomer to deal with your beautiful cat, without anesthesia.

Robin

naps with cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"Joeline"! I love that name! Is it after Dolly Parton's song?

My, oh my what a beautiful girl you have there!

With my triple-furr'd Himalayan I can only use a "Greyhound" comb and I groom him every single day or he will matt. I start with the under fur - actually since he has about a 10 minute tolerance level, I go straight for the arm pits, then the tail, I keep his tummy shaved (myself) to where it combs right through, then puff his cheeks out and do his back.

When he starts cry-growling, I cry-growl right back because honestly, with this type of professional comb (Greyhound) I know from how it's working I'm not pulling anything, lol. He just becomes exasperated nad is done.

Boy, he's got a lot of fur, though. I wouldn't thing of using a brush on him as it would be fruitless - on any part of his body. I also bathe him once/month, but am going to start bathing him 2x/month because, well, he needs it more than once a month. His fur is so different than that of the others that I do not need to bathe (except my hyperthyroid girl who'se a little lethargic and has not much will to groom herself much).

Anyways, yeah, I agree about using a wider-spaced metal comb for sure, for sure! Pull the top fur back and work from the inside to the outside.

:-D

Here's a close up so you can really see the fur close up (and how FLAT his face is, lol). Excuse the drool - it happens every time he drinks and I'm cleaning him all day - it happens with extreme flat-faced Himmys). Introducing yet again: Chief Red Cloud, a 100% Red-Point Himalayan:

. . . who needs an ear cleanin' . . . geeeeez! Any sort of Siamese (which a Himalayan is a Hybrid between Siamese and Persian, get dirty ears and fast! Both need cleaning all the time. I have 2 Siamese as well and these 3 are the only that need once a week ear cleanings!

The fur you see around his neck area? It's like that all over his boddy but a big longer. Have to use Greyhound Comb.

Warmly,

Julie O'

p.s. NEVER use a "Furminator" or any such thing like that on a Himmy/Persian type cat; their fur is way too thick. Comb only if fur is fully poofed! (Unless you're using a pin brush after combing backwards to barely comb forwards for the "full-poof" factor. (The comb is fine for this as well, however)..

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are there Greyhounds with long hair? The Greyhounds I've known are the racing type with very short hair that doesn't need combing, I would think. So I'm wondering what a "greyhound comb" means.

Robin

naps with cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh! I'm sorry, no the "Greyhound Comb" is a name brand of a comb used for the thick coated cats (and they have them, I believe in sizes for thicker coated dogs as well).

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I use the "Greyhound Comb" on my Himalayan. There are cheap ones and more expensive ones that are "anti-static" which, believe me, are worth the investment with all that fur!

:eek:)

Warmly,

Julie O'

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SweetZ

My cat Gizmo is a long haired part Maine Coon cat. His fur knots up really bad even with brushing him daily. We have him shaved when he starts to get knots however to shave him he has to be put to sleep in order for the groomer (who is also my vet) to shave him. I am worried about having to have him put to sleep everytime he knots up, is there anything that anyone knows about that might help keep him from knotting up so badly? We brush him every day, doesn't help.
I've seen cat de-tangler but I'm worried that it might be harmful if he licks it, has anyone used this type of product or know anything more about them? I know it hurts Gizzy to have these knots and I would love to prevent them anyway I can. Thanks in Advance!
I used to have pictures of the implements I use on Persi. I took a whole wastebasket of fur out of him yesterday using first a rake, then a brush, and finally a comb. But no matter, when he runs up and down the wood stairs, he leaves a trail of fur behind him that unsuspecting people can slip on and its all over. He absolutely hates having behind brushed and he has so dang much fur back there that there is no way he can poo without some of it ending up on him. I easily brush that out each day BUT I have to use my left hand to clamp his mouth shut while my right hand brushes his behind so that is clean. He is my one and only son but if I did not hold his mouth shut, I am sure he would bite me when I do the forbidden territory. DW has concerns about him sleeping with us with a dirty behind on our fresh clean linens. I always give him a quick brush before he comes to be with us.

Yep, my history with cats is 9 very short haired females. And then came Persi, a male Himalayan with champion parents. I am beginning to honestly think that the more fur you have the more likely it is to win something like that. I have said it many times here on TCS and I repeat it now to new prospective cat owners: if you want a long haired cat be prepared to devote time each day in grooming your cat. In my case, also be prepared to find fur all over the stairs and everywhere else including in your food if you let your cat run free through the kitchen like I do. I've eaten a lot worse things than cat hairs in my life and Persi is the King of the Roost.

naps with cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

I used to have pictures of the implements I use on Persi. I took a whole wastebasket of fur out of him yesterday using first a rake, then a brush, and finally a comb. But no matter, when he runs up and down the wood stairs, he leaves a trail of fur behind him that unsuspecting people can slip on and its all over. He absolutely hates having behind brushed and he has so dang much fur back there that there is no way he can poo without some of it ending up on him. I easily brush that out each day BUT I have to use my left hand to clamp his mouth shut while my right hand brushes his behind so that is clean. He is my one and only son but if I did not hold his mouth shut, I am sure he would bite me when I do the forbidden territory. DW has concerns about him sleeping with us with a dirty behind on our fresh clean linens. I always give him a quick brush before he comes to be with us.

Yep, my history with cats is 9 very short haired females. And then came Persi, a male Himalayan with champion parents. I am beginning to honestly think that the more fur you have the more likely it is to win something like that. I have said it many times here on TCS and I repeat it now to new prospective cat owners: if you want a long haired cat be prepared to devote time each day in grooming your cat. In my case, also be prepared to find fur all over the stairs and everywhere else including in your food if you let your cat run free through the kitchen like I do. I've eaten a lot worse things than cat hairs in my life and Persi is the King of the Roost.

Sorry to hear your Himmy is losing so much hair. My Ex-Breed/Ex-Show Himmy doesn't lose much at all (I mean, hardly at all), but I'm very, very careful and take a lot of time by taking little bits at a time so that he does not lose fur and he really doesn't shed at all. It's not really their thing, except more is combe'd out during summertime, but shedding? not a Himmy thing. I've never heard of brushing a Himmy and Himmy's generally get a "Sanitary trim" back there, which I give mine at least once per month, along with another long hair I have.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wish I could recall the name, but I have a glove/mitt that you put on which has little rubber protrusions on it.

It should glide through a long-hair and also pick up any loose hairs at the same time.

I only have short hairs, but its the only way I can comb their sensitive bellies, as they don't let my square comb or even soft brush down there w/o wanting to bite it, heh.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Naps With Cats

"Joeline"! I love that name! Is it after Dolly Parton's song?
Yes it is, lol, My mom loved that song and named me after it, although she spelt it wrong, the "correct" spelling is Jolene. Now my son loves that song too and likes to listen to it every time we're in the car!

naps with cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SweetZ

Yes it is, lol, My mom loved that song and named me after it, although she spelt it wrong, the "correct" spelling is Jolene. Now my son loves that song too and likes to listen to it every time we're in the car!
Geez, I so love that song, too . . . and SO love to watch Dolly sing it which I have only a couple of times and on t.V. (And, of course, a couple of American Idols have sung it).

Beautiful heart-felt song!) LOVE the name!