Advice on Dry food brands (ziwi peak, orejin, absolute holistic, lily's cat food )

catK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I was trying to find a different brand than Orijen, and the following were the only ones I found that didn't use meals or by-products.
Ingredient list wise, they seem fine. My concern is the company itself, I tried to find anything online but unfortunately I couldn't.
I would appreciate if anyone knows anything and if I should avoid them. Btw my cat will only eat dry food.
Ok so here's what I found:
lily's cat food (UK)
Ziwi peak (New Zealand)
Absolute Holistic (Australia)

Any information is very much appreciated.
Thank you.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rawz is another meal and by product free brand but it's not sold outside of the US or Canada if you live elsewhere in the world. Natural Pet Food | Rawz

All those pet food companies have web sites. Were you not able to find them?

What information about the companies are you trying to find?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry, I meant lily's kitchen.
Kindly, someone edits my original post

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Rawz is another meal and by product free brand but it's not sold outside of the US or Canada if you live elsewhere in the world. Natural Pet Food | Rawz

All those pet food companies have web sites. Were you not able to find them?

What information about the companies are you trying to find?
Yes thank you. I wasn't referring to their websites. My concern was if that any pet owner had health reaction to these brands.
Ziwi is somewhat off the list due to what I found here, but it was only for their canned food. Not sure if their dry is as bad.
My other concern was Australia and New Zealand, I remember a few years back some pets died and it turned out that imported Orijen food was xrayed or something, can't remember exactly.

PuffandPercy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feed Ziwi canned and dry, and I'm a huge fan of it
I don't think they've ever had a recall, and when I emailed them some queries, they were prompt and courteous as well

I'm vegetarian, but their food actually smells like recognizable meat to me. Never had any issues with it, except the chicken and hoki canned food can be strong smelling! My cat also isn't a huge fan of the beef dried food, he prefers their blended flavours.

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes thank you. I wasn't referring to their websites. My concern was if that any pet owner had health reaction to these brands.
Ziwi is somewhat off the list due to what I found here, but it was only for their canned food. Not sure if their dry is as bad.
My other concern was Australia and New Zealand, I remember a few years back some pets died and it turned out that imported Orijen food was xrayed or something, can't remember exactly.
Here is a pretty good site that lists recalls, but only up to 2017. https://allaboutcats.com/cat-food-recalls
Just because a product from a certain brand has never been recalled though doesn't necessarily mean much for the future, and the same can be said for brands recalled in the past. Not sure about availability in other countries, but the brand Tikicat has never had a recall and doesn't include grain or biproducts. The website CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat does a great job though rating cat foods based on things like biproducts, guar gum, grain, etc. They have an extensive list of dry foods although I don't think they factor "meal" into their ratings. But checking out their list of top drys might be helpful to find a good brand near you and then if you find one suitable just try googling or contacting the company to see if there were prior recalls.

As for the brands you mentioned I personally haven't tried them for my cats, but I've heard great things about Ziwi.

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed Instinct Ultimate Protein. The only worrying ingredient is the Tapoica it’s the second highest ingredient, but I do like the fact that it’s low in carbs. The company told me 12%, but I think when I calculated it, it was closer to 15%. I didn’t know ash content and think I had assumed 8%