Advice on cat introductions

clawsie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everybody, newbie here. I'd like to hear from multi-cat owners how you managed cat introductions, how long it took for the cats to accept each other without fighting or running away, and any other info that you may think useful. I’m following the correct introduction path (separate room, swap scents etc) but I’d like to hear from people who have actually done it. Thanks!

aprilc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have done it several times.

In the past two years we had one cat, then my step-daughter moved in with her cat and they were introduced.  She moved out and we got a second cat, then took in a stray to make it three.  Then my daughter moved in with her two cats, then we took in a stray and her 5 babies and now we have another stray in the spare bedroom awaiting introduction.

My three cats are all make, my step-daughter's cat was female, my daughter has a male and a female, the stray momma was obviously a female and the new stray is a male.

My advice is SLOW.  The slower the better, do not rush it.  Are both cats spayed/neutered?  I would recommend that as a first step. 

Are they checking each other out under the door?  If they can do that without growling or hissing then you can move onto them seeing each other.  Make every experience positive.

Cat #1 is very impatient and wants none of this "waiting" crap so introductions have often gone quickly.  We have been lucky that all the cats seem to tolerate each other quite well.  When step-daughter's cat came to live with us I think it took about a week.  When my second boy came in it was about the same.  The stray boy took longer because he wasn't neutered yet and we had to ensure he was healthy.  They were separated for about 2 weeks before meeting.

Never let them meet unsupervised until you are sure that things will go well. 

Lock up old cat for a while, and let new cat sniff around the house and check things out.  Put old cat in new cat's room so old cat can get used to the scent.

If they are ignoring each other when they can see each other that is a really good sign.  If they will eat, groom, or sleep while the other cat is around then they are relaxed and don't view the cat as a threat.  It seems discouraging because you watch them and wonder why they are ignoring each other but it is exactly the opposite.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clawsie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi April, thanks for your advice, much appreciated.

The cats involved are 4: two older sisters of 11, and two young brothers of just under a year old.

The boys, Eddy & Ozzy, come from a shelter and have been here now for about 4 weeks, and they’re based in the spare room upstairs. We’ve done the introduction the proper way, except for the feeding on other sides of the door, because the girls just refuse to eat upstairs due to a bad experience they had years ago (long story). We’ve done scent-swapping, seeing each other behind a screen for a few days, swapping rooms and we’re now at the meeting stage (always supervised).

The first one was 4 days ago, it went ok but there was some hissing/growling and one of the girls, Stella, ran outside. Every time they’ve met since (once a day for about half an hour), Stella runs outside as soon as she hears them coming down the stairs. The other girl, Luna, is calmer but is a lot more aggressive if provoked and will hiss and growl at Eddy because he stalks her and doesn’t understand warnings! I think there will be a big fight soon and she will bite his ass badly! Not sure if I should allow this or if there is an alternative.

We have 3 Feliway plugs in the house, and all of the cats are on Zylkene. I’m also using a mix of Bach Flower Remedies for the girls. Someone suggested I should let the boys out in the garden (they haven’t yet) so they will focus on that and leave the girls alone, do you think that will work? And do you think I should let them meet more or less often? Thanks again

aprilc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What about treats?  If the girls come up and sniff the door and you give them treats.  Would that work?

Hissing and growling isn't abnormal.  Cats don't WANT to fight, so always make sure they have a way out of the situation.  The girls are middle aged too, and the boys are young punks.  As a middle aged woman I can tell you that I have very little patience for teenage boys so I can totally understand their displeasure ;)

Can you lure Stella into staying with treats?  I know my daughter's cat forgets the entire world exists when treats are in the picture. He loves Orijen treats more than anything.

I wouldn't assume that hissing and growling will lead to biting. First there will be swatting.  If they swat and the boys back off it is unlikely to escalate to biting. 

Keep at it.  Some cats can take months to accept each other.  I wouldn't say they should meet less often, but you want to make sure each session ends as positively as possible.  Have some treasured treats with you and when the boys are out, shower your girls will treats.  They will begin to associate something scary and unpleasant (those new cats) with something pleasurable. 

clawsie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks April.

Yes we did manage to lure the girls upstairs and sneak some treats at the '"see each other through a screen" stage, which lasted for nearly a week. It started off with a few hisses from both camps then calmed down towards the end, no hisses at all, Luna was quite calm but Stella just stared at the boys chatting away, didn't touch her treats even though they're her absolute favourite (Thrive!) then ran off :(

Friday it'll be 4 weeks from the boys' arrival and I'm planning to let them go outside, because Eddy is very frustrated at being indoors locked in a tiny room. Maybe that will calm the situation and the boys will be more interested in exploring the outdoors rather than hassling the girls? One can only hope...

clawsie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh dear.... I let the boys out for the first time this morning (girls were already out), and after a lot of fun chasing flies and running in the grass, Eddy reverted to type and started hassling Luna. A lot of hissing and growling from both of them, then she decided she had enough and went indoors. She came back out shortly after, then sat on her favourite chair watching the boys play. Then Eddy got distracted as Henry (next door's cat) decided to make an appearance in our garden, so turned his attention on him. Usual cat dance ensued... hissing, growling, turning sideways, then Eddy attacked and chased him! Luckily Henry managed to jump over the fence. Meanwhile, his brother Ozzy is minding his business playing with the flies and so is my girl Stella, hiding behind a bush watching all the action. Does all this seem normal to you guys, as a first outing? Any ideas how to stop Eddy being so darn aggressive? We have Feliway and he's on Zylkene too...

clawsie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Eddy is relentlessly stalking Luna, no matter how we distract him. She's also had a personality change, she's turned submissive (hissing then growling then averting her eyes and turning sideways with head down).  She used to be a very bossy cat who didn't suffer fools gladly, always the first one to attack. I HATE her being bullied so much and I'm now ready to take Eddy back to the shelter, even though I hate the idea. Can't be putting my old girl through all this stress! So sad :(

clawsie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Six weeks down the line, and Eddy's going back to the shelter tomorrow. His bullying's got worse and worse, and he's now trying to stop Luna coming back into the house! Definitely doesn't like her, so he has to go. Shame, because he's a lovely cat, just not suitable for our family :( I'll keep his brother though, hope he doesn't miss Eddy too much

aprilc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am sorry to hear that. Some cats just don't do well with others no matter what you do.