Advice on Cat carriers

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

verynycegirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I love the purple one!! I've never seen one like that! Where did you get it?

Tracy

furbum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I transport my kitties to and from the vet by bike so I have a soft-sided backpack carrier. It is also good if you need to take your kitties anywhere by plane.

Monty in the carrier:

Monty and Bootsie inside:

I got it here. It was very $$$ but still much less so than a car

forget-me-not

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 2 hard sided carriers - only because I ordered one online and it didn't arrive in time for the cat! So I got a quick, small cheap one. Right now the smaller cheap one is on the floor in the den with a rug over it and she uses it as her little cave when she wants to be invisible. The other is left on the floor (open) in another room. The first trip to the vet with Astrid was a NIGHTMARE trying to pick her up and get her in the carrier. Although she is now letting me pick her up, I am definitely getting one that allows the top to open. I am undecided between a hard and soft - but will probably get a pretty soft one since she already has two others.

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sylorna

I just caved and got myself a pretty sherpa soft sided carrier (in pink and black herringbone) today. Dynah is going to need her own carrier now that I'm keeping her, and it was only $16 more to get the pretty one. Chester has a sherpa already in green and loves it! I love the fact that they fold up, since I'm getting a 1 bedroom apartment soon. The hard carriers have their place, both in price and being able to be washed, but similarly the sherpas can go through the washer, so I figure it's just up to personal preference.
Hazah! can't wait for my carrier to come!
BOO!!! I got my carrier today, and while it's in really good condition, it doesn't fold down as the ebay seller said it would! Now I have to negoitate a return with him, and I hate doing that sort of thing. I really hope I didn't sound too mean in my email, but when someone says "yes it folds down" I expect it to fold down. I'm suggesting a return or exchange with refunds of my shipping and handling. What a pain in the behind.

kayliekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I used the Sherpa carriers when we travelled via airplane with our cats, because they actually fit under the seat for the start and landing. However, when I just go to the vet, I prefer the plastic carrier that opens to the top as well as the sides. Cats go easier in and out, and it is less of a mess if one has an accident on the way. I used to have a kitty who was so scared in the car, that she always had accidents on the way to the vet. Another cat I had scratched his nose bloody on the mesh sides of the Sherpa bag, because he was nervously rubbing it against it.

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I also have a sherpa carrier, and love it. It's the first carrier where my cat actually likes being in it. It's also great for airplanes since it's easy to fit under the seat. The top opener is wonderful, since Puppy will go in sideways, but he won't come out once he realizes we're at the vet. I think Puppy also likes that the sides are mesh, so he feels somewhat secluded and can still see out.

They also make them in large sizes, which is good for larger kitties! I actually couldn't find a hard carrier that would fit Puppy and still go under and airplane seat. I don't worry about it with the soft-sided one.

I also like that they zipper close. I have had a cat (Patches) unlatch the door on a hard carrier.