Advice On Age Of Kittens/or How Old Could They Be?

FeralRussian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
56E9E9C3-4D6C-418D-9FD9-2B74022F0EEC.jpeg
AFBD9175-C2E6-4DD8-88C9-35F186DA865E.jpeg
I would love it if someone could help pinpoint what age my madcap duo might be. They were feral so I don’t know if that spurred quicker motor skills or not. The pics I have are a little fuzzy as I respected their spaces. The first pic is when I thought Pye was pregnant and managed to snap a few shots. She vanished the next day. A week later she appeared again. Around that time I heard A Kitten screaming bloody murder of abandonment, but couldn’t reach it or see it. I’ll start with her picture before she vanished and follow with the week after picture. Posts after will be the kits!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeralRussian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
These were the first pics I snapped the first time I saw them on 9/11
The ones in the original post were of Pye at 8/19 and 8/26
7BFC9EE0-0DC4-457B-96CE-DBE6D6381B19.jpeg
DC9321F4-236E-44F7-A08C-1A65A3FE08E3.jpeg
2569F193-F95B-4F65-902B-64F2293277B2.jpeg
57274559-551A-4F1C-8CCB-F8D8549FAD48.jpeg
CC10F403-7FB2-404F-9A7F-252B1A9BA17C.jpeg

FeralRussian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My thought was maybe she had them on the 19 or 20 of August, but the doubt occurs based on how quickly they were running about. And the screaming, (which was probably Gustav, although he is much quieter these days ) at a week after she vanished

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're usually about 6 weeks old when the mama brings them to her eating place. But they look closer to 8 weeks in the pictures, unless they're just abnormally large. So if that was 9/11 they were probably born sometime in the middle of July.

FeralRussian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They're usually about 6 weeks old when the mama brings them to her eating place. But they look closer to 8 weeks in the pictures, unless they're just abnormally large. So if that was 9/11 they were probably born sometime in the middle of July.
They certainly did seem to be advanced and mid July would seem accurate except for Pye looking like the Blueberry girl from willy wonka dipped in white chocolate in late middle August. How long does it take for cats to lose their pregnancy weight after giving birth?

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you managed to bring in all of the kitties? They are so cute and adorable.

Do you mean that the momma cat vanished? Never returned? :(

FeralRussian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
E165ED9B-B55A-4EA2-87FC-CB8E2FA86815.jpeg
Have you managed to bring in all of the kitties? They are so cute and adorable.

Do you mean that the momma cat vanished? Never returned? :(
They are adorable! I was able to lure the mother and the two remaining kittens in the night of the first snowstorm. I had the mother Pye for three weeks when my neighbor came over asking if I had seen “his cat” to which I nearly fell over. You mean the cat I feed every day for the last two years and frequently see at three am sleeping in the space I made her. The one who would have been left to freeze outside and clearly hasn’t been Spayed.

I ended up compromising and letting her out while keeping the kittens under lockdown. I had already buried one of the original four and never knew what happened to the fourth. There are dogs who roam free and managed to dig into the backyard. One of whom I caught chomping on the one I had buried a few days later.

So Pye ( The Mother ) still hangs out along with visits from their daddy. I want to do a tnr, but there is the complication with the local feral society that if a cat belongs to someone they won’t. So even though the neighbor has a different opinion on what it means to own a cat, he clearly would tell them it is his. The daddy cat seems to be a rolling stone and has potential for tnr. I created a more secure and cozy place for Pye near the window so the three of them can still talk to each other. Or four when Daddy O visits. The cats here are unusual in their social structure.

When I moved here two years ago there was a colony of nine. Pye is the only one who has survived. She was a kitten back then. Her two children are now indoors, fixed, and have had shots and been wormed. This is a shot of them recently. They’ve shed their winter coats and kitten pooge.

FeralRussian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
66C58ACD-CDA8-4863-BBFB-8AB72D77CAF9.jpeg

They used to be such floof balls. This was November 12th

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Budgies (short for budgerigars) are what we commonly refer to as parakeets in the U.S. They are parakeets, but not all types of parakeets are budgies.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi FerallRussian, where are you from? Budgie is short for "budgerigar" a small green Australian parrot bred in many different coloured varieties. Perhaps you know it under a different name?

FeralRussian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Budgies (short for budgerigars) are what we commonly refer to as parakeets in the U.S. They are parakeets, but not all types of parakeets are budgies.
Oooooh. A full crew! And yes parakeets is how we call them.

Hi FerallRussian, where are you from? Budgie is short for "budgerigar" a small green Australian parrot bred in many different coloured varieties. Perhaps you know it under a different name?
I’m in Taos, New Mexico, United States. Though auto correct wanted to make it untied states.

It’s pararie dogs, skunks, and Magpies around here for wild life with an occasion mountain lion. And of course native Americans and quirky artists. We’re all a little mad living in a modern day alice in wonderland landscape.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok ok, I have to ask, the curiosity is overwhelming. What are Budgies?
Yep they are parakeets. Their names are Freddie and Mercury.
Freddie is the more talkative among the two. They were abandoned by previous owner so I had to come and take them. :) Thanks for asking.