Advice On A Skittish Kitten

Midnight1710

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
BG: Kitten Hiding, Am I Doing The Right Things?

I've made some really great progress with Solo, he doesn't hide as often anymore. But he is still really skittish and will jump away if I walk to closely to him or move too quickly.
If I am feeding him treats he will allow me to pet him along his back and his tail. But without treats he won't even allow me to get close enough to pet him. He has also never bumped up against me.
I think I just need a little encouragement. And perhaps a few more suggestions on how to get to the next step.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BG: Kitten Hiding, Am I Doing The Right Things?

I've made some really great progress with Solo, he doesn't hide as often anymore. But he is still really skittish and will jump away if I walk to closely to him or move too quickly.
If I am feeding him treats he will allow me to pet him along his back and his tail. But without treats he won't even allow me to get close enough to pet him. He has also never bumped up against me.
I think I just need a little encouragement. And perhaps a few more suggestions on how to get to the next step.
What does he do if you take 5, 10, 30 minutes to initiate play with him with a fuzzy toy or feather on a string, etc?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just ensure that anytime something good is happening, that you are right there. Stay with him when you feed him his meals, but don't crowd him. Of course, continue with the treats, play with him using a toy on a string or ribbon and not just toys that he has to play with himself. Once play time is done, give him a small meal or a treat. Talk softly to him as you approach (to feed, treat, play). It will give him a gentile warning, but when he hears it's you, and you always bring something good for him, he might not be as apprehensive, if you happen to come around without any particular reason or if you want to try to give him affection.
You can also "test" if he is calm enough to try to give him affection by doing "slow blinks". Or as Jackson Galaxy calls them "I love you blinks". Sit or lay as close as you cat seems comfortable with. Make eye contact with your cat by talking softly to him (relaxed, not big eyes), then blink very slow, watch to see if your cat blinks back. Do it a few times. If your cat blinks back he is showing you trust, that he is OK with you. At this point try to move in closer (slowly) and do it again. You might get to a spot where you are right near him and he will let you pet him (I would start with a one finger chin scratch not a full body back to tail rub) And every time he lets you pet him or get close enough to pet him, give him a treat. But leave him wanting more. Try to stop before he looks to be getting anxious, and calmly walk away. This way he will learn that not only do you bring good things to him (food, treats, play) but that you are never something to be afraid of (because you stop before he needs to tell you to). I don't know if I'm explaining what I mean very well, please ask me if you need clarification :)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just ensure that anytime something good is happening, that you are right there. Stay with him when you feed him his meals, but don't crowd him. Of course, continue with the treats, play with him using a toy on a string or ribbon and not just toys that he has to play with himself. Once play time is done, give him a small meal or a treat. Talk softly to him as you approach (to feed, treat, play). It will give him a gentile warning, but when he hears it's you, and you always bring something good for him, he might not be as apprehensive, if you happen to come around without any particular reason or if you want to try to give him affection.
You can also "test" if he is calm enough to try to give him affection by doing "slow blinks". Or as Jackson Galaxy calls them "I love you blinks". Sit or lay as close as you cat seems comfortable with. Make eye contact with your cat by talking softly to him (relaxed, not big eyes), then blink very slow, watch to see if your cat blinks back. Do it a few times. If your cat blinks back he is showing you trust, that he is OK with you. At this point try to move in closer (slowly) and do it again. You might get to a spot where you are right near him and he will let you pet him (I would start with a one finger chin scratch not a full body back to tail rub) And every time he lets you pet him or get close enough to pet him, give him a treat. But leave him wanting more. Try to stop before he looks to be getting anxious, and calmly walk away. This way he will learn that not only do you bring good things to him (food, treats, play) but that you are never something to be afraid of (because you stop before he needs to tell you to). I don't know if I'm explaining what I mean very well, please ask me if you need clarification :)
Slow blinks with ferals have saved me from having my arms shredded. If they return it, this is great but still move slowly!
For those cats that don't seem to believe the blink thing, lifting your chin slightly and quickly into the air when you shut your eyes and lowering it when they open can help convince them. The chin thing is quick, takes about 1/8 second.
Our cats do the chin thing a lot. They do it while blinking, they do it when playful, and it's a completely 100% NON threatening move that most cats understand. You will never EVER see a cat intent on killing something blinking and chin lifting.
Looking away, keeping your eyes really soft and just kind of looking around like you're just hanging out, can help put them at ease too.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you have routine going yet? Some skittish cats do better on a schedule. Do you have 2 soft brushes? A brush in each hand he knows your not able to grab him. brush his head with one brush body with the other soon you can pet. If he likes this at a certain time each day then you can expand other activities into that time span.
The chin thing is quick, takes about 1/8 second.
Our cats do the chin thing a lot.
I thought it was unique to our Yoshi. I've never seen it before him. He even does a head sway to show where he wants us to go.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Midnight1710

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow, thanks for all the great advice. We are on a schedule of sorts, wet food in the morning around 5:25am, a bowl of dry food for the day (working hours), I'm sure that during this time he relaxes and plays with Pumpkin-from the same foster, same age, then Pumpkin playtime with the girls from 5:30pm-7ish, Wet food around 6:30pm, Snacks and/or Playtime around 9:30pm.
He will come out and sits really close to me during food time and will allow me to pet him while he is eating, but he is very sensitive around his ears and jumps away if I touch them. He will run across my body at night time but won't approach me for affection.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Midnight1710

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Slow blinks with ferals have saved me from having my arms shredded. If they return it, this is great but still move slowly!
For those cats that don't seem to believe the blink thing, lifting your chin slightly and quickly into the air when you shut your eyes and lowering it when they open can help convince them. The chin thing is quick, takes about 1/8 second.
I will haven't seen Solo return any of the blink, he will be watching me when I start but when I open my eyes he is looking away. I will try the chin thing.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Skittish cats - its about trust, and that trust comes in stages. And it won't always stay at a particular level.

Our Barry was feral and took a long time to be really comfortable with us. He's been with us just less than a year and a half - I have never gotten a head butt, and although he is very close, he has never brushed against me. And he still freaks out here and there and runs away from me.

I could usually get a pet or two in as he walked by, but I never got a good petting session in until a few months ago - and then nothing like that until a couple of weeks ago. Now he will veer out of the way to come in for a pet and usually circle around a couple of times. Slow slow progress.

What I've noticed is that he has a couple of places in the house where he likes to be petted or to play and a couple of places on his body that he really likes (and his chin which he will or won't let me pet (and when he won't, now, he pulls back a little but doesn't run away)). There are also favorite toys that he will just go nuts over.

And now you're going to think I'm nuts: Barry has two different runs - one where he is running away and trying to avoid us but the other is more of a romp where he is going to a play-place or setting up to play fetch and he wants us to follow.

Cats are weird and subtle - watch your guy for cues about what he wants and where he wants it.

Barry did this ONCE after we first got him and has never done it since. EVER. Although he will still flop near me and roll over once or twice.

Stay the course - you're making progress, just in cat-time.

ImSandy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cats do the chin thing a lot. They do it while blinking, they do it when playful, and it's a completely 100% NON threatening move that most cats understand. You will never EVER see a cat intent on killing something blinking and chin lifting.
Looking away, keeping your eyes really soft and just kind of looking around like you're just hanging out, can help put them at ease too.
Wow, I've never heard of the chin thing. I'll have to give that a try myself.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When cats really trust one another they ignore each other... or, more precisely, they PRETEND to ignore each other. They actually do notice each other but they are confident enough to take their eyes off one another and go about their own business.

So, basically ignore the cat and he will gradually become more confident.