Advice Needed, Orphaned Kitten

thevampireslair

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Brand new here after finding it while looking up help for our new kitten. Let me explain whats going on lol

Last month on the 24 my husbands boss found a litter of kittens outside the security gate to their base. At the time it was thought they were only like 2 weeks old. (first picture attached), now I've dealt with new born kittens before so I was hoping his boss would let me care for them but because everyone who agreed to take a baby( my husband and 3 of his best friends in the squad) all ready had at least one other cat she wanted to take them until they were at least over a month, so we did not get her till last thrusday and I don't think it was for the best because she's now 6-7 weeks, and because of his boss's inexperience might have missed some important milestones that happen in the first month.

See, his boss did most of the right things, she took the kittens to the vet, got them a clean bill of health, but because of her job, they didn't get the attention they needed, nor the box training when they needed it let alone the right food. Up until the day we got them they were using nothing but puppy pads on the floor for the bathroom and kitten formula in a bowl for food. Now at almost 2 months she has no idea how to even dig in a litter box, I've gotten her to use it a few times, and a few times she has used it on her own accord but because she's so used to just going where she's standing its proving really hard. So I need some help there(the two senior girls I have along side mika were also feral orphans but they were 3 months when I got them and learned "cover" from their mother so they had the litter box down with in the first 2 days of having them). Second is the food, being on formula so long she's not much bigger than the day they found them and she has an issue with food, she was super quick to eat/want the kitten wet/kibble we gave her but soon as she was finished no only did she want more she wanted the senior food..and our food. Our seniors are foragers, their food is in a feeder ball they bat around when they are hungry and the kitten, despite our best efforts is dead set on eating their food as well. They have been very welcoming of her which is good but I know the senior food is not best for a 6-7 week old kitten, (second picture is her today)

we need some help/suggestions on the litter box training and food situation. We do have three litter boxes. (ninja and Lola do not like the same litter and thus have their own box with different litter in it. and we got a third for the kitten with paper pellets in it so she doesn't try to eat the clumping litter), we though about keeping her in a separate room until she got the hang of the litter box, but with my husband being gone all day on base and my work keeping me busy it simply would not be fair to keep a baby locked in a room by her self all day. So any ideas/advice would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your kitten sounds starved if she’s been deprived of solids, and especially if she has not put on necessary weight. Feed her wet food 4-6 times daily right now, with kitten kibble and water available 24/7. Once she realizes that food is always available, she should back off trying for everyone else’s, but it will take time. What is her weight now?

For litter training you’ll need to put her in the pan frequently throughout the day whether she goes pee or poop or not in order to reinforce to her that it is the place to “go.” Take a little paw each time and show her how to “dig.” This too will take time, but she should catch on.

Does she have toys of her own to play with? Toy mice and balls? Do you play with her with a ribbon or string?

Thanks for adopting her! :)

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You shouldn't have any problem with keeping the kitten in a safe room while you're gone. She'll need her own box, food, water and toys. A clock and/or a radio wouldn't hurt, either. Make sure you give her lots of interactive play when you get home. I did this for my little one, who was about the same age as your kitty, and she turned out okay.

Actually, I kept her in my bedroom closet for the first two days, then moved her to the spare bedroom, where she stayed for about another week until she decided to come out on her own.

Most of my concerns were that the other two cats might give her a hard time and that they'd eat her food (sounds like we had similar issues). She's pretty self-assured and the other cats' hissing didn't seem to bother her. The fact that she could get in and out under the bedroom door took care of some of the food issues: The other two couldn't eat her food as they were too big to fit under the door.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thevampireslair

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
we took her to the vet yesterday to get her next round of shots, she's only half a pound, vet said she should at least be a full pound or a few oz over.

and okay, soon as I see her stop eating i've been putting her in the box(so about 4-5 times a day, might need more than that then?

and toys oh yes lol. We wanted to be fair to the girls so instead of sharing toys we got her her own, mice/"fly"rods, feathers/crinkle balls everything aha.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thevampireslair

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Most of my concerns were that the other two cats might give her a hard time and that they'd eat her food (sounds like we had similar issues). She's pretty self-assured and the other cats' hissing didn't seem to bother her. The fact that she could get in and out under the bedroom door took care of some of the food issues: The other two couldn't eat her food as they were too big to fit under the door.
we're not actually having any trouble with the other girls. Ninja has actually tried mothering her much to my surprise and Lola has just opted to pretend she's not here and gives her her space. Both have 'training' so it only took a single "no" for them to leave her box and food alone. So I'm not worried about my senior babies lmfao its just making sure Mika grows up well and hits all her milestones given the troubles in her first month

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never miss an opportunity to litter-train a kitty. I don't think several times a day is too much. You might have to demonstrate digging to her, either with your finger or moving her feet in a digging motion.

All the cats we've had since I was little learned pretty quickly about the litter box.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my! Only half a pound. No wonder she is starving. She should weigh 2 pounds at 8 weeks, so she’s very behind. Feed her as much and as often as she wants for a few months.

Also, no vaccines or spaying until she is fully 2 pounds, if not 3 pounds in her case. And all vets should know not to vaccinate or spay until two pounds.

The more she eats the quicker she will catch up! :)

T thevampireslair