Advice needed on irritated anus and stool issues

missy3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone, I don’t know what to do I need some advice, I have already been to the vet. My 8 month old kitten is having some issues. It started 6 weeks ago I noticed that his anus was irritated. I brought him to the vet and she said to give increase his wet food and re run the stool sample (which came back negative). His anus did get a little bit better until 2 weeks after that when he started having diarrhea. I brought him back to the vet and he was put on metronidazole, a probiotic for 3 days and switched to Science Diet ID. His anus was still irritated. After I finished the medication 7 days later the vet said to slowly mix in his old food with the Science Diet ID. As soon as I did that the next day his stools started to get soft again so I stopped and gave him just the Science Diet food and his stool returned to normal. The vet told me to keep him on the Science Diet for 2 months. He cannot tell me why his anus looks irritated. Has anyone been through this before? Any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have not gone through that with my cat, but I do know that diarrhea can cause a sore bottom, as can even constipation. Either can be made worse if your kitten is over-grooming his behind as well. And, with diarrhea, if a lot of 'stuff' is left on his bottom, that will also irritate the surrounding skin.

I would pay attention to when he uses the litter box, and try to keep his behind clean after he goes. A simple harmless way to clean would be to use chamomile tea - most any standard grocery store variety of tea bags will work, as they are all generally German (you don't want English, nor any additives or flavorings). Brew a bag in water, let the liquid cool to room temp, and gently wipe his bottom with cotton balls or a soft cloth each time he poops, or at least 3 times a day. The tea has both healing and soothing properties, and is considered an anti-bacterial/anti-fungal agent. It is also safe should he ingest any of it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missy3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, I will pick some up today. I have not noticed that he has been licking the area at all. The vet did not seem concerned about it being irritated but I’m sure that it must feel a little bit uncomfortable. I just want him back to normal. Thank you again, I will let you know how it works out!