Advice needed on dog collars

wishiwas

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I really like the Easy Walk Harness myself, though I've had the same problem as white cat lover. The one that fits properly around her body is a little big across her chest. They make in-between sizes that are supposed to help with this problem, but they don't sell them at any of the pet stores here, and I'd hate to order one online and it not fit. She has been trained not to pull, but if she sees a rabbit or something while we're out, oh boy! That training goes right out the door.

Have you tried the "be a tree" type method of training? Assuming you can physically hold still against the dog's pulling, that is. What you do is stand still, do not move, until the dog stops pulling. Then take a step, stop immediately if this makes him pull again. It can be incredibly frustrating at first. The first time I did it with my family's insane little dog, our walk was mostly done in one-step increments. But once he got the idea, it worked wonders.

breal76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use it with my Rottweiler that is 115 pounds. He LOVES it! its never hurt him, and he knows when i get that collar out, its time for a walk and play!
'

I am sorry but I really have to LOL at this comment.

Your dog loves going for walks, not the collar. Your dog associates the collar with going for walks. Hence the excitement.

My dog sees me grab my MP3 player and immediately get's excited thinking he is going for a walk. I wouldn't say he loves it.

I think prong collars are only okay if a person knows what the heck they are doing. Half the people that use them don't. I have to shake my head in discust everytime I see a dog come in as a stray to the shelter wearing a prong collar. tisk tisk.

k.j.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know it's a bit late. But I have a 60 lb Golden Retriever puppy (9 months old) and shes' terror to walk. We at first had her on a choke-type collar, except with fabric and chains. Didn't work AT ALL. Then we got the halti; it goes around the mouth and stops pulling. Worked well, but a hassle to get on and dumb people were afraid of her because they thought it was for biting. Finally we have a gentle lead and it's perfect, but she still cannot walk without it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by K.J.

I know it's a bit late. But I have a 60 lb Golden Retriever puppy (9 months old) and shes' terror to walk. We at first had her on a choke-type collar, except with fabric and chains. Didn't work AT ALL. Then we got the halti; it goes around the mouth and stops pulling. Worked well, but a hassle to get on and dumb people were afraid of her because they thought it was for biting. Finally we have a gentle lead and it's perfect, but she still cannot walk without it.
I'm going to pick up the gentle lead this weekend and give it a go.

Originally Posted by wishiwas

Have you tried the "be a tree" type method of training? Assuming you can physically hold still against the dog's pulling, that is. What you do is stand still, do not move, until the dog stops pulling. Then take a step, stop immediately if this makes him pull again. It can be incredibly frustrating at first. The first time I did it with my family's insane little dog, our walk was mostly done in one-step increments. But once he got the idea, it worked wonders.
I've never heard of this but I'm willing to try anything. If I'm not strong enough I might have DH give it a try. He isn't as patient as I am though.
We may not even make it out of the yard.

Thanks everyone for the help. I will let you know how it goes.