Advice needed: cat with lung cancer

marisofigia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!

I need to make a decision and I figured comments here may end up being useful. I won't hold anyone responsible for anything I decide to do in the end.

My cat, Tigraki, is 12 years old, sterilized, and has spent all her life indoors. She started coughing a month ago. Her bloodwork and heart ultrasound came out fine. Last week she had a CT that showed two tumours in her lungs. Around the same time, she started coughing up blood.

I've been to four vets so far and have been told of two options.

Option 1: biopsy and chemo
Pros --> May give the cat up to two years of life.
Cons --> Cat may not be able to take the process, and die on the spot; too costly.

Option 2: cortizone shots and vitamins every 15 days
Pros --> Cat is not inconvenienced; cost easily covered.
Cons --> Cat will die in 6 months tops, possibly choking on her own blood.

I'd appreciate any suggestions and comments, especially if you've had something similar happen to your pet. Thank you in advance...

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello, and welcome.

With option two, can you and your veterinarian team monitor her and make a decision before her health declines to the point you describe?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marisofigia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, and welcome.

With option two, can you and your veterinarian team monitor her and make a decision before her health declines to the point you describe?
Thank you.

Basically, option 2 proponents believe that it's already too late to try anything else.

Kev.k

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took my dog for a scan on 6th May 2022. Vet called me 5 mins after I’d left to tell me she had a tumour on her liver and asked if I wanted them to put her down. Told me she had 3 months max.

She is sat with me now (14 months later), turned 13 on Monday. Half the size she was but eating steaks, chicken, eggs, McDonald’s and ice cream whenever she wants and she is out 3 times a day. I wouldn’t let her suffer.

She is on gabapentin and samilyn (I’m sure the latter is an expensive con).

I honestly think most vets need better regulation and put profit before animal welfare.

Option 2 and spoil her rotten Is my advice. I think she might pleasantly surprise you.

My dog was on fish orijen from being a pup and never had poor quality food or junk food. I think the food she has now is part of the reason she’s still with me and happy. It’s amazing how quick they get as fussy as kids with their eating once they get to taste junk food and ice cream 😊

I thank god I didn’t go with the vets initial advice. I’m angry that I wasted a few months mourning her thinking she was going to pass imminently, when I should have been out with her on the beach or in the woods.

Chemo is nasty and cats don’t understand it. People struggle when they know what it’s for.

For what it’s worth, I think animals cope better with this type of thing than people ever could. Cancer is awful but it’s natural, radiation (chemo) isn’t. I can only imagine what Vets charge for chemo and the profit they make.

You should both enjoy the time you have left. I cherish every day I have with Bailey and hope you and Tigraki have many happy days to cherish together xx

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marisofigia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took my dog for a scan on 6th May 2022. Vet called me 5 mins after I’d left to tell me she had a tumour on her liver and asked if I wanted them to put her down. Told me she had 3 months max.

She is sat with me now (14 months later), turned 13 on Monday. Half the size she was but eating steaks, chicken, eggs, McDonald’s and ice cream whenever she wants and she is out 3 times a day. I wouldn’t let her suffer.

She is on gabapentin and samilyn (I’m sure the latter is an expensive con).

I honestly think most vets need better regulation and put profit before animal welfare.

Option 2 and spoil her rotten Is my advice. I think she might pleasantly surprise you.

My dog was on fish orijen from being a pup and never had poor quality food or junk food. I think the food she has now is part of the reason she’s still with me and happy. It’s amazing how quick they get as fussy as kids with their eating once they get to taste junk food and ice cream 😊

I thank god I didn’t go with the vets initial advice. I’m angry that I wasted a few months mourning her thinking she was going to pass imminently, when I should have been out with her on the beach or in the woods.

Chemo is nasty and cats don’t understand it. People struggle when they know what it’s for.

For what it’s worth, I think animals cope better with this type of thing than people ever could. Cancer is awful but it’s natural, radiation (chemo) isn’t. I can only imagine what Vets charge for chemo and the profit they make.

You should both enjoy the time you have left. I cherish every day I have with Bailey and hope you and Tigraki have many happy days to cherish together xx
Thank you, I really appreciate that you shared Bailey's story with me. I hope you enjoy your time together too!

Kev.k

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, I really appreciate that you shared Bailey's story with me. I hope you enjoy your time together too!
Try and be as positive as possible. She will pick up on you being upset if you let it get on top of you.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
First, I am very sorry about Tigraki, but can well relate to what you are going through now. I had a cat, age 15, female, spayed, indoors only, who also had lung cancer. It was discovered by accident on X-ray while looking for something else. There were no obvious signs, coughing up blood.

Since the tumor was confined to one lung, she underwent surgery and had one lung lobe removed. Since the tumor was only narrowly excised, she subsequently underwent a chemotherapy consisting of carboplatin given by intravenous injection every four weeks for a total of five treatments. She tolerated this well, and at the end of the time had recheck x-rays showing the treatment was effective with no reoccurence.

She went on to live another five years and passed away of something unrelated.

I would ask your vet if the lung lobe containing the tumors could be excised entirely or whether the two tumors are spread out. Cats have five lobes, so can live fine without one as mine did. I wish Tigraki all the best of luck, and you too with the difficult decisions you have to make.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Basically, option 2 proponents believe that it's already too late to try anything else.
I guess I'm not sure what you were looking for. My thinking was to try and see about maintaining as much quality of life for her as is possible, while monitoring her and watching for the worst case situation.