Advice needed about introducing a new kitten?

flinni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hiya,

We have been offered a 12-week old kitten (we can choose either a male or female) from a friend, whose cat has recently had a litter. The situation is that our existing cat Millie, (who is about 18-month old, fully neutered, electronically tagged etc) spends most of her weekdays alone indoors (from about 8am-6pm), but has access to the outside world of an evening and at night. She often active late at night and early morning, then sleeps when we are at work.

Basically, what I wanted to know is....

a) Is it a good idea to get another kitten as a friend for Millie, would it be best to get a male or female and in your experience, how do you think Millie would handle a new cat? Would it be better just to leave it completely and stick with the one we have? Will Millie adopt it or see it as a threat?

b) If we do get another kitten, what is the earliest time frame that we should allow, before letting the new kitten outside?

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Iain

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hi, there is a thread on introducing a new feline friend to the family on this site but i can not remember where if i find it i will post a thread to it.

if you can try and wait untill the kitten is at least 12 weeks old and had both sets of jabs before bringing him/her home, as your cat does go out she could bring something back and pass it onto your kitten even though she is fully updated with hers.
i dont let any of mine outside at night so i cant comment on this, but i dont allow any of mine outdoors untill there around 7-8 months old been spayed/neutered etc wormed fleed jabs.
some will not agree with your cats going outside because of the dangers so some may not comment on that.
good luck and i hope it all works out for you.