Advice- Kitten With Major Diarrhea!!

jjc1140

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok. I will try and make this as short as possible. Rescued 9 kittens (and mother). Yes, all from one mother... So, they are relatively small for their age. I believe they are around 10 to 12 wks at this point. They all have been healthy up until about two weeks ago one of them started having diarrhea 2 wks ago. It has progressively worsened. It is now water and uncontrobable with her the last few days. She is sore from it being on her. I am doing the best I can with cleaning and such but i work 12 hour shifts so I can't do much when I'm not there. That isn't my main concern obviously the diarrhea, dehydration, and the actual cause of it are my main concerns.

They were all wormed twice with drontal which covered the tapeworm and roundworm. Diarrhea (most likely by coincidence) started after the last worming treatment. Took the baby with diarrhea to vet and had fecal test that was clear of any parasite and bacteria. Had a second test also showed negative. I specifically asked if they checked for Giardia and Coccidia and they said yes but did not show. I am quite Leary of this test being accurate. She was treated with Flagyl and also Panacur. After starting panacur it actually seemed to worsen and became watery. Any experience with Panacur causing diarrhea or making it worse also??

I am starting to get really worried. I have started probiotics and fiber with her diet since last night but have not noticed to much of a difference at this point. I'm feeding her pedialyte with syringe and mixed in her water and food.

I guess my question is does anyone have any experience with Coccidia, Giardia or any specific bacterial infection? What does their stool usually look like with Coccidia versus Giardia?? And did they have other symptoms? She has not vomited. No loss of appetite and in fact she honestly is eating like a horse most likely because she isn't retaining any nutrients because of the constant diarrhea.

Her stool is watery and like a tan with pinkish color to it. I have not seen any blood or yellow stool.

I have two others that now have started to have loose stool but they were sneaking moms food so it may be from that but at this point to be safe I have separated her from the other babies. I have kept them all separate from my two older cats from the beginning and have only briefly been around each other. Should I be concerned also for my cats??

Sorry for all the questions I'm just completely stumped and don't know what else to do for this poor baby. I'm praying the probiotics and fiber help. Any advice on your experience with coccidia, Giardia, or bacterial infections and their symptoms they presented. Any advice on treatment with panacur as well. I did check the side effects and it does have it listed but that is nearly listed as a side effect for every medication so would rather here from experience to get better idea.

Thank you all and so sorry for how long this post is....

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm unfamiliar with your other questions but will answer a couple suggestions to diarrhea. First is plain canned pumpkin nothing in it. Many use this. Second I've personally used tummyworks. It's a probiotic. I buy from Amazon. You email company and ask for dosage (anything above label). They are very good at the company responding in 24 hours. I have a 12.5 lb cat that had constant sensitive stomach. They recommended 1 1/2 scoops per day. I asked about 2 scoops and they recommended no more than 2 weeks. See a vet if needed 2 scoops after that. I appreciate a company that doesn't recommend more necessarily. I would still check with your vet before buying and confirm your vet agrees it's ok to give.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah I do feed fage plain nothing else in it. I bought baby spoons and feed it if my cat diarrhea. It really helps. You can eat it too. Great for both of you.

If you wish to double strain it (remove more whey) then dump yogurt in a strainer covered in 2 coffee filters putv in a bowl. Wash out plastic yogurt container. Leave it 24-48 hours in strainer stuck in a bowl with 2 coffee filters holding yogurt. It removes the whey containing extra sugar, dump the water/whey in garbage and put yogurt back in container or another container. I've found the fage lasts a long time past expired date. It can become thick (yogurt cheese) but that doesn't make it bad. It's great for you and kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jjc1140

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, the pumpkin is plain but today I purchased and started Metamucil otc which is a fiber in a powder form or capsule and I have sprinkled on her food (after the vets advice.) She just went (again...) but it actually looks a tad bit bulkier than the straight water stool. Still concerned as it looks like a good but of undigested food though... But at least it's not straight water and she can keep some of her fluids in. Thank you for your advice! I'm looking that up and ordering it right now. If the vet says no tomorrow I will have it on hand for my cats.

Marsha222

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok. I will try and make this as short as possible. Rescued 9 kittens (and mother). Yes, all from one mother... So, they are relatively small for their age. I believe they are around 10 to 12 wks at this point. They all have been healthy up until about two weeks ago one of them started having diarrhea 2 wks ago. It has progressively worsened. It is now water and uncontrobable with her the last few days. She is sore from it being on her. I am doing the best I can with cleaning and such but i work 12 hour shifts so I can't do much when I'm not there. That isn't my main concern obviously the diarrhea, dehydration, and the actual cause of it are my main concerns.

They were all wormed twice with drontal which covered the tapeworm and roundworm. Diarrhea (most likely by coincidence) started after the last worming treatment. Took the baby with diarrhea to vet and had fecal test that was clear of any parasite and bacteria. Had a second test also showed negative. I specifically asked if they checked for Giardia and Coccidia and they said yes but did not show. I am quite Leary of this test being accurate. She was treated with Flagyl and also Panacur. After starting panacur it actually seemed to worsen and became watery. Any experience with Panacur causing diarrhea or making it worse also??

I am starting to get really worried. I have started probiotics and fiber with her diet since last night but have not noticed to much of a difference at this point. I'm feeding her pedialyte with syringe and mixed in her water and food.

I guess my question is does anyone have any experience with Coccidia, Giardia or any specific bacterial infection? What does their stool usually look like with Coccidia versus Giardia?? And did they have other symptoms? She has not vomited. No loss of appetite and in fact she honestly is eating like a horse most likely because she isn't retaining any nutrients because of the constant diarrhea.

Her stool is watery and like a tan with pinkish color to it. I have not seen any blood or yellow stool.

I have two others that now have started to have loose stool but they were sneaking moms food so it may be from that but at this point to be safe I have separated her from the other babies. I have kept them all separate from my two older cats from the beginning and have only briefly been around each other. Should I be concerned also for my cats??

Sorry for all the questions I'm just completely stumped and don't know what else to do for this poor baby. I'm praying the probiotics and fiber help. Any advice on your experience with coccidia, Giardia, or bacterial infections and their symptoms they presented. Any advice on treatment with panacur as well. I did check the side effects and it does have it listed but that is nearly listed as a side effect for every medication so would rather here from experience to get better idea.

Thank you all and so sorry for how long this post is....

My cat was always very healthy then suddenly dropped about 6 lbs in like 6 months. I went on YouTube (which is fantastic for diagnosing and treating unknown pet ailments) after taking him to the vet who wanted to do surgery on him for an obscene amount of money and basically convincing me it was time to say goodbye to my sweet kitty. I brought him home and after researching YouTube and the Internet found out he had a Urinary Tracy infection. He was drinking a ton of water then heading straight for the litter box. Sleeping in the shower (which I thought strange and basically overlooked it until I found out it was a symptom). I found out Apple Cider Vinegar is excellent for cats with a UTI because it kills the crystals blocking the bladder. After about 7-10 days they should be good to go or until their symptoms subside Also pumpkin is great for their digestion. Wet food is much better than kibble because it hydrates them.

I would actually just say go to YouTube and type in the symptoms of your kittens and it should pull up the diagnosis. Hopefully it will give you a natural remedy so you don’t have to pay a ton of money and so your kitties won’t have to experience any side effects from medication or antibiotics that will affect them later on with a different problem. You will be surprised how you can effectively treat them naturally.
Best of luck to you!

jjc1140

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I actually had a cat misdiagnosed before as well too from a vet plus a second opinion that wanted to put him to sleep. It is a long story so I won't get into but yea. I know.. I do not have much faith in this particulae vet at the moment or maybe I haven't expressed the severity that her issue has gotten to because she is at risk for dehyration now. I'm nursing her the best I can. I haven't thought of looking at YouTube but will definitely check it out as I am sure there is something bacterial or protozoal affecting her bowels. I don't think this is related to her diet at all. Not to this severe of extent and not this long. Nor do I think it is IBS. I just feel that yes it is one of these things and yes she may be on one of the right meds but I think all of them combined may be making it worse in the meantime . I'm really hoping the fiber and the probiotics will help by tomorrow ... Thank you, I will definitely check it out and try to figure this out. I was hoping someone with personal experience with coccidia or Giardia it bacterial could tell me if her symptoms present the same though I completely realize that all kitties may react differently. Maybe I can find that there!

jjc1140

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah I do feed fage plain nothing else in it. I bought baby spoons and feed it if my cat diarrhea. It really helps. You can eat it too. Great for both of you.

If you wish to double strain it (remove more whey) then dump yogurt in a strainer covered in 2 coffee filters putv in a bowl. Wash out plastic yogurt container. Leave it 24-48 hours in strainer stuck in a bowl with 2 coffee filters holding yogurt. It removes the whey containing extra sugar, dump the water/whey in garbage and put yogurt back in container or another container. I've found the fage lasts a long time past expired date. It can become thick (yogurt cheese) but that doesn't make it bad. It's great for you and kitty.
Wow, awesome advice ! I had no idea. I think for her I'm going to use regular pumpkin because I think she needs the extra sugar right now from the loss of so many nutrients and water. But for her brothers that have started with the loose stool that's definitely what I'm going to do. I had no idea !! Thank you. But I think it is starting to work. She is still going often and still messy a little (nothing like it was) but they are starting to firm up which I am so thankful for... Its soft mushy but not straight water! This is a good thing seriously. She was becoming really dehydrated.