Advice for socializing

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lynn704

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! It is wonderful to hear how comfortable and loving all of your cats are in your home. I am looking forward to that day when Bella can rest comfortably with us in the family room. šŸ¤—

I appreciate the advice on the bathroom and we will plan to keep her in there until she gets through recovery. It is nice to hear that you think weā€™re on the right track with little Bella!! I sometimes feel like Iā€™m making a lot of mistakes and the reassurance is comforting. šŸ˜Š

I have never had the experience of living with a cat in heat and Bella is going into heat again so it seems to be coming every other week. She is very affectionate tonight and started the rolling again.She doesnā€™t really have a meow yet so she doesnā€™t vocalize but she does become quite uncomfortable mid cycle. As I write this, Shadow is curled up sleeping on the couch while Bella is quietly exploring the family room - yay!!

We ordered a tall pet gate tonight that will arrive tomorrow. I think itā€™ll be helpful during the day when tensions seem highest and I will be sure to use when aggressions rise. As I supervise interactions I will try and do better at blocking and diverting the staredowns. Itā€™s funny because sometimes Bella will come up to Shadow when heā€™s just chilling and sheā€™ll sniff his behind and then swat and hiss and walk away. I seem more upset about this than Shadow but when it happens I separate them. I did trim Bellaā€™s and Shadowā€™s nails this week to help prevent injuries.

Iā€™ve attached a couple of pics so you can see Bella and Shadow. Iā€™m sure they are quite grateful for your help too!!

IMG_2408.jpeg
IMG_4756.jpeg

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! It is wonderful to hear how comfortable and loving all of your cats are in your home. I am looking forward to that day when Bella can rest comfortably with us in the family room. šŸ¤—

I appreciate the advice on the bathroom and we will plan to keep her in there until she gets through recovery. It is nice to hear that you think weā€™re on the right track with little Bella!! I sometimes feel like Iā€™m making a lot of mistakes and the reassurance is comforting. šŸ˜Š

I have never had the experience of living with a cat in heat and Bella is going into heat again so it seems to be coming every other week. She is very affectionate tonight and started the rolling again.She doesnā€™t really have a meow yet so she doesnā€™t vocalize but she does become quite uncomfortable mid cycle. As I write this, Shadow is curled up sleeping on the couch while Bella is quietly exploring the family room - yay!!

We ordered a tall pet gate tonight that will arrive tomorrow. I think itā€™ll be helpful during the day when tensions seem highest and I will be sure to use when aggressions rise. As I supervise interactions I will try and do better at blocking and diverting the staredowns. Itā€™s funny because sometimes Bella will come up to Shadow when heā€™s just chilling and sheā€™ll sniff his behind and then swat and hiss and walk away. I seem more upset about this than Shadow but when it happens I separate them. I did trim Bellaā€™s and Shadowā€™s nails this week to help prevent injuries.

Iā€™ve attached a couple of pics so you can see Bella and Shadow. Iā€™m sure they are quite grateful for your help too!!

View attachment 471279View attachment 471280
Oh my-Bella looks like Shadow's mini me!Precious darlings!

You're doing great- I would not say to change a thing about what direction you're moving in-the tall gate is perfect and just really pay attention because Intervention " before" the act is far more effective than trying to " correct" after the fact.... your on the road to success and I have no doubt about it!

After the spay there will be a positive change too with a significant decrease in tension- hormones are such a nuisance,we girls can testify to that! Lol

The photos are great,more more!

Lynn704

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, Kwik! I am happy to report that weā€™ve had some great progress the last two days!! Bella has come out into the kitchen the last two days for breakfast and dinner which is amazing and she is wanting to be out of the room more and more. She is showing a lot of happy kitten energy! I donā€™t want to jinx it but no swatting has occurred the last two days and I have been very attentive making sure any staredowns are redirected and Iā€™m not really letting them interact much but they are in the room together sometimes just a couple feet away while I sit down on the floor by them. Shadow especially is showing signs of being more relaxed and will sleep now even while she is in the room!! Bella is currently on the window sill peeking out into the backyard and all is calm in the house. Yayyy!! Crossing fingers the progress continues! Thank you sooo much!

P.s. We think Bella looks like a mini Shadow too!

Hereā€™s a Bella pic after we played tonight. Sleepy happy baby!! ā¤
IMG_5837.jpeg

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Kwik! I am happy to report that weā€™ve had some great progress the last two days!! Bella has come out into the kitchen the last two days for breakfast and dinner which is amazing and she is wanting to be out of the room more and more. She is showing a lot of happy kitten energy! I donā€™t want to jinx it but no swatting has occurred the last two days and I have been very attentive making sure any staredowns are redirected and Iā€™m not really letting them interact much but they are in the room together sometimes just a couple feet away while I sit down on the floor by them. Shadow especially is showing signs of being more relaxed and will sleep now even while she is in the room!! Bella is currently on the window sill peeking out into the backyard and all is calm in the house. Yayyy!! Crossing fingers the progress continues! Thank you sooo much!

P.s. We think Bella looks like a mini Shadow too!

Hereā€™s a Bella pic after we played tonight. Sleepy happy baby!! ā¤ View attachment 471414
That's FANTASTIC! Oh I know you are thrilled - now don't you go and get discouraged if little squabbles happen here n there or if Bella steps forward /back to do a little cha cha cha---- progress will keep going on,you're all set for success my dear!

I'm really happy to hear your wonderful progress report- :cheerleader::heartshape:There's so much more to come,keep up the excellent workšŸ‘ā¤

She is adorable .... Yeah ,Shadows mini me,lol:blackcat2::dancingblackcat:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
L Lynn704 I have a soft spot in my heart for black cats, Bella is absolutely adorable. What a sweet, impish little face she has!

Lynn704

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, Kwik for your sweet reply and continued support! I really appreciate it! I am very thrilled at the progress indeed!

You are spot on about the cha cha cha. Bella is in the height of her heat cycle tonight so it has been a challenging evening as they were both very restless. Although Iā€™m not looking forward to the vet visit on the 9th, Iā€™ll be glad when her hormones are under control. šŸ˜Š Iā€™ve never owned a female cat so itā€™ll be a new experience for me on tending to her post recovery. Iā€™m a little worried she might be upset after the surgery which could make handling difficult, but hopefully itā€™ll be okay. Iā€™ll post back after to let you know how it went and will be sure to incorporate the towel idea you mentioned.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Kwik for your sweet reply and continued support! I really appreciate it! I am very thrilled at the progress indeed!

You are spot on about the cha cha cha. Bella is in the height of her heat cycle tonight so it has been a challenging evening as they were both very restless. Although Iā€™m not looking forward to the vet visit on the 9th, Iā€™ll be glad when her hormones are under control. šŸ˜Š Iā€™ve never owned a female cat so itā€™ll be a new experience for me on tending to her post recovery. Iā€™m a little worried she might be upset after the surgery which could make handling difficult, but hopefully itā€™ll be okay. Iā€™ll post back after to let you know how it went and will be sure to incorporate the towel idea you mentioned.
She'll be fine,you'll be fine handling her- Personally I'm particularly fond of boys but I have 2 girls and they are both sweethearts- moody,like any female of any species( lol) but always sweet despite their moodiness.... boys,what you see is what you get,lol

It's a more invasive surgery than a male but the recovery is fast and they only need to take it easy for a little bit- there's nothing you really need to do except keep her from over doing things that are strenuous ( climbing,jumping) and she'll be just fine.....

Lynn704

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Kwik, we are seven days post surgery for Bella and itā€™s been a bit of a challenge but sheā€™s healing well and glad itā€™s behind us. We unfortunately had to change her safe room as it was becoming too unsafe for her post surgery and she had dysphoria for several days. Sheā€™s now in an upstairs room that is carpeted and has a windows so she can see outside. I know itā€™s not ideal for socialization as itā€™s more quiet and less foot traffic but unfortunately we didnā€™t have another option. She seems to have acclimated nicely to the larger more comfy space and weā€™re able to spend a lot more time with her. She has been extremely cuddly and affectionate in the evenings preferring to spend most her time on my or my husbandā€™s lap.

However, today she is showing signs that sheā€™s feeling well enough to come out and scratching at the door (albeit still in a post surgery onesie)into the rest of the house. Weā€™ve had a gate up all week so she could occasionally see Shadow and they have bumped noses but Bella hisses. So far every interaction between them is like back to the beginning with Bella hissing and swatting every time she sees Shadow. I did do a short room swap today and let Shadow explore Bellaā€™s new room. Iā€™ve currently put her back into her new safe room to rest some more and thought Iā€™d see what you might recommend. We also have our grown children coming home next week for holiday and will have new house guests from the 23rd until April 1st but thankfully we wonā€™t need to use the new safe room for our guests. Lots of change which I realize can be stressful so I wasnā€™t sure how best to handle. Thanks again!!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi Kwik, we are seven days post surgery for Bella and itā€™s been a bit of a challenge but sheā€™s healing well and glad itā€™s behind us. We unfortunately had to change her safe room as it was becoming too unsafe for her post surgery and she had dysphoria for several days. Sheā€™s now in an upstairs room that is carpeted and has a windows so she can see outside. I know itā€™s not ideal for socialization as itā€™s more quiet and less foot traffic but unfortunately we didnā€™t have another option. She seems to have acclimated nicely to the larger more comfy space and weā€™re able to spend a lot more time with her. She has been extremely cuddly and affectionate in the evenings preferring to spend most her time on my or my husbandā€™s lap.

However, today she is showing signs that sheā€™s feeling well enough to come out and scratching at the door (albeit still in a post surgery onesie)into the rest of the house. Weā€™ve had a gate up all week so she could occasionally see Shadow and they have bumped noses but Bella hisses. So far every interaction between them is like back to the beginning with Bella hissing and swatting every time she sees Shadow. I did do a short room swap today and let Shadow explore Bellaā€™s new room. Iā€™ve currently put her back into her new safe room to rest some more and thought Iā€™d see what you might recommend. We also have our grown children coming home next week for holiday and will have new house guests from the 23rd until April 1st but thankfully we wonā€™t need to use the new safe room for our guests. Lots of change which I realize can be stressful so I wasnā€™t sure how best to handle. Thanks again!!
I'm going to tag Kwik Kwik for you so she sees this message :)

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks iPappy iPappy -I did not saw it and sure love to talk with L Lynn704

If it were me I'd just put everything on " pause" while you have your houseguests- it's just a week and that one week may or may not cause alot of interference so play it by ear - continue your routine in the room with Bella so YOU are her constant. She has not yet established her new safe room as her territory so if she's frightened by the strangers in the house she'll be very frightened and it doesn't need to happen- if she was out n about & frightened and had her old room she'd run back in and feel secure- leave her to her room,visit her and resume normal daily routines after they are gone ( thsts my 2,cents)

When I said " play it by ear" I'm referring to the gate- you are going to have to see how she does with the gate up and strangers going by- if it seems too stressful for her as people walk by or even them talking and stuff then just close the door so she'll feel safe. She and Shadow can pick up where they left off after April 1st- Shadow is fine with people?

Lynn704

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Kwik and thank you so much for the continued advice! I will plan to keep her in the new safe room and allow some gate time to see how she does and if she seems stressed I will close the door. I havenā€™t done any introductions to anyone new so itā€™ll probably be a bit stressful for her. This plan will also give her the recommended full two weeks of healing time.

Shadow does okay with visitors. He doesnā€™t really engage but will stay in the room and watch people from his cat tower.

Thanks again!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Kwik and thank you so much for the continued advice! I will plan to keep her in the new safe room and allow some gate time to see how she does and if she seems stressed I will close the door. I havenā€™t done any introductions to anyone new so itā€™ll probably be a bit stressful for her. This plan will also give her the recommended full two weeks of healing time.

Shadow does okay with visitors. He doesnā€™t really engage but will stay in the room and watch people from his cat tower.

Thanks again!
Of course,my pleasure- anytime

We all don't like setbacks but some things simply cannot be avoided so we just have to be patient,make things as stress free for our little kitties as best as we possibly can and give them whatever time they need to get back in the groove,lol

I'm not looking forward to going for surgery and people having to care for my cats - it'll be a big thing for my Timmy but after all is said and done he'll get through it and we will get back to our normal

Lynn704

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

We all don't like setbacks but some things simply cannot be avoided so we just have to be patient,make things as stress free for our little kitties as best as we possibly can and give them whatever time they need to get back in the groove,lol

I'm not looking forward to going for surgery and people having to care for my cats - it'll be a big thing for my Timmy but after all is said and done he'll get through it and we will get back to our normal

So true - things seem to somehow work out with time. šŸ˜Š Bella is playing happily in her new safe room and feeling much better like her old playful self today.

Iā€™m sorry to hear you will be having surgery soon and I hope it goes well and that you have a quick recovery! Your kitties will be so happy when youā€™re back home and recovering that they will shower you with kitty hugs. I always worry about leaving Shadow with a cat sitter, too, but I was so surprised when the cat sitter reported that he was quite affectionate toward her while I was gone.

Iā€™m sending healing thoughts your way!:)

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
So true - things seem to somehow work out with time. šŸ˜Š Bella is playing happily in her new safe room and feeling much better like her old playful self today.

Iā€™m sorry to hear you will be having surgery soon and I hope it goes well and that you have a quick recovery! Your kitties will be so happy when youā€™re back home and recovering that they will shower you with kitty hugs. I always worry about leaving Shadow with a cat sitter, too, but I was so surprised when the cat sitter reported that he was quite affectionate toward her while I was gone.

Iā€™m sending healing thoughts your way!:)
Il be happy if Timmy eats wet food while I'm away,everyone else is fine with people -Timmy ( almost 8yrs old now) was a rogue outdoor feral until 9 mos ago so no doubt he'll hide when anyone comes in..... hes the only one I worry about because hes my little shadow-does not want to be seen by anyone other than me( my special boyā¤)

Lynn704

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Il be happy if Timmy eats wet food while I'm away,everyone else is fine with people -Timmy ( almost 8yrs old now) was a rogue outdoor feral until 9 mos ago so no doubt he'll hide when anyone comes in..... hes the only one I worry about because hes my little shadow-does not want to be seen by anyone other than me( my special boyā¤)
Aww, Timmy sounds like such a sweetheart! Iā€m not sure if youā€™ve tried a cat camera but when I was really worried about leaving Shadow alone, we hooked up a small camera in the main family room and it has an option for me to be able to speak to him through an app on my phone. I call him a few times a day when weā€™re out of town and just watch him and if heā€™s out Iā€™ll talk to him. I feel a bit better being able to see him. We also use a camera in Bella's room so I can keep an eye on her when Iā€™m out of the house.

I hope everything goes well! Take care!