advice for sick cat

sick_cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anyone have advice on how to get a sick cat to take pills or eat at all?

My cat threw up Tuesday night and had orange poop overnight so I made an urgent care appointment and brought her in Wednesday night. That morning she was still active and jumping on my keyboard. When I got home from work to take her, she was hiding and looked a bit yellow. When I brought her to the vet, they said she was very, very sick and told me she was jaundiced. Gave the options of some blood tests and imaging to see if it might be treatable and ended up saying it looked like a liver or gallbladder infection so brought her home with a giant pharmacy. On Thursday she was eager to eat, but fought the medicine so had to dissolve it in a syringe and shove as much as possible into her mouth (she dutifully picked around the pills in wet food and spit them out when I tried to get her to swallow them). Friday she wouldn't eat any form of cat food (wet or dry, several brands) nor baby food - was willing to eat a bit of butter off a stick. Medicine again syringed in. Vet's office last night said to just keep trying to get the medicine in and confirmed crushing is OK - liquid form is not available for the ones they gave her.

Today (Saturday), she still won't eat anything and is still yellow. No pee since Thursday, one time pooping. She will drink water so I will try chicken broth when it finishes cooking.

Will call the vet's office again Monday morning, but any advice to keep her comfortable or get food/medicine in her now? I'd rather not take her back to the emergency vet - I have the prescription painkillers at home to keep her comfortable so there's not much they could do. Hospitalization is not an option. Will be asking the vet about the ethics of keeping her alive like this on Monday but wondering if there's anything I can do to help her in the meantime.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would say she probably has Fatty liver at this point in time, and you will need to force feed her until she starts eating on her own. This condition can be fatal if not treated, so it is imperative that you get food into her, and the meds too, if you can. If they think it's an infection, then of course you need to get the antibiotics into her. I will tell you that a feeding tube might be your best bet. Did the Vet discuss this with you? I had a cat with this and we did the feeding tube. Best decision ever. Then you can also give all the meds through the tube, easy peasy. And the procedures is pretty easy and only takes about 15 minutes. Here is a thread about E-tubes: Esophagostomy tube

If you don't want to go the feeding tube route, here is a thread that shows how to assist feed. Go to post #7 to view the video: Syringe Feeding Lucky Video/If your Cat is not eating

BlackCatOp

Black Cats Rule!
Adult Cat
Purraise

I’m not sure if any of her techniques will help but she does have some interesting ideas. Trying some Hills a/d may help restart her eating.

I am able to pill all three of mine by sitting like her in the video. The cat can’t backup. When you hold the cats head along the bones behind their eyes their lower jaw goes limp - making opening the mouth easier. I don’t use a pill popper, I just place them in the back of the mouth with my fingers.

Also, one thing that has helped tremendously is placing pills in gelatin capsules as they slide down much easier and don’t have any bitterness from the meds. You can even place multiple meds in a single gel cap to decrease the number of times kitty has to be pilled. I got my empty gelatin capsules from Amazon.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pilling tips:

Pilling Cats: Must-know Tips For Hiding Pills – Cat Articles
The Best Pill-taking Secret I Know...
Pilling Cats and Dogs Safely
How We Give Our Pill Hating Cat A Pill
Getting Cat To Take Pills... Post Tips Here.

Pill Pockets work for most cats and you can find it at most pet stores.

Also, one thing that has helped tremendously is placing pills in gelatin capsules as they slide down much easier and don’t have any bitterness from the meds. You can even place multiple meds in a single gel cap to decrease the number of times kitty has to be pilled. I got my empty gelatin capsules from Amazon.
There are flavored empty capsules just for pets:

Size 3 works for cats. Size 0 is larger and would hold more than one pill but is probably too large for a cat to swallow.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 , have you actually used those flavored gel caps? I've never heard of them until today! I'm wondering though, why the necessity of them being flavored? Usually if you use gel caps, you still actually "pill" the cat, right? So why would you need it to be flavored? I could see it if you have a cat who inhales treats so you could wrap this in a soft treat and then give it to them, but if you have a chewer, then it wouldn't work I guess, because they would still either chew right threw it and spit out the pill, or spit out the entire capsule I'm guessing. But interesting concept, for sure.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We cut up pills and hide in cheese because our kitty loves cheese. I have also crushed and mixed into plain meat baby food and tuna juice.